Paypal acct accessed by someone from outside the country

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Got a message to change my password when I logged in to Paypal.

So I did a web search for "paypal hacked", and found Brian Kreb's article.

Debating if I should close my Paypal account.

I found a way to enable 2FA, which I've done.

My concern is that one (or more!) of my PCs, routers, LAN, NAS units, etc., has been compromised.

I lost internet the other night briefly, and when I walked into the room with my FIOS router, the power LED was flashing green, like it had soft-rebooted. I didn't have a power outage. I'm wondering if Verizon (or a rogue entity???) flashed my router's firmware?

And my main G4400 PC, updated itself to Win10 1607 a few weeks ago, from 1511, without my involvement, but when I saw the machine, it appeared to have IIS installed, and I had never installed that.

John Connor

Lifer
Nov 30, 2012
Sounds definitely like you have been hacked. You always, always need to make sure the router firmware is updated. Change your PayPal password and flash the firmware to the router. Make sure you don't have any open ports at shields up.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I have two routers. My "outer" router is a FIOS Rev. I. My "inner" router, I just recently deployed, it's an AC68 running the newest Tomato.

Verizon controls the outer router, I let them do their thing. I keep my "inner" router updated.

John Connor

Lifer
Nov 30, 2012
I have two routers. My "outer" router is a FIOS Rev. I. My "inner" router, I just recently deployed, it's an AC68 running the newest Tomato.

Verizon controls the outer router, I let them do their thing. I keep my "inner" router updated.

Like I said, also check out shields up and make sure there isn't a port open that shouldn't be. Or use a VPN that allows all 65 thousand + ports and Nmap your own network.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
No, GRC's "optimization" for bulk port scanning is borked with that config. Well, something is.

If you scan "service ports", all come up Stealth. As do all of the Red (Open) ports, when you click on them, and click "Scan this port" (individually). They all come up Stealth.

Edit: Is there an alternate port-scanner that I can use? I have a backup internet connection that I can scan the primary with.

http://www.whatsmyip.org/port-scanner/server/

Shows "timed out" for all of them.

Last edited:

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
I lost internet the other night briefly, and when I walked into the room with my FIOS router, the power LED was flashing green, like it had soft-rebooted. I didn't have a power outage. I'm wondering if Verizon (or a rogue entity???) flashed my router's firmware?
The router's log should show if it was flashed or not, do you have the ability to SSH into the router and see what is running?

Oh, forgot to mention that you can also wipe the NVRAM settings on the verizon router as well, and that should get you back into a clean state.
And my main G4400 PC, updated itself to Win10 1607 a few weeks ago, from 1511, without my involvement, but when I saw the machine, it appeared to have IIS installed, and I had never installed that.
What does inetmgr show when you run it?

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
What does inetmgr show when you run it?

Opened a Command Prompt, and it said something about "inetmgr" not being an internal or external command. I typed it into the Windows Search box, and it didn't come up with anything either.

What service runs IIS? I can't find it in Services (local) , Standard. Nothing under "I" or "Windows".

Last edited:

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
Opened a Command Prompt, and it said something about "inetmgr" not being an internal or external command. I typed it into the Windows Search box, and it didn't come up with anything either.

What service runs IIS? I can't find it in Services (local) , Standard. Nothing under "I" or "Windows".
If IIS is running, then inetmgr should have shown you info about IIS.
I guess IIS isn't installed or perhaps they deleted C:\Windows\System32\inetsrv\InetMgr.exe?
Is W3SVC (World Wide Web Publishing Service) running?

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Hmm, World Wide Web Publishing Service was set to Automatic, and was Running.

I did a search of C-colon for inetmgr,. there were some inetmgr.exe and inetmgr6.exe and .dlls in WinSxs.

I tried copying inetmgr.exe and .dll to \System32, but then it said it couldn't run them, that they weren't for my version of Windows. ?

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
Hmm, World Wide Web Publishing Service was set to Automatic, and was Running.

I did a search of C-colon for inetmgr,. there were some inetmgr.exe and inetmgr6.exe and .dlls in WinSxs.

I tried copying inetmgr.exe and .dll to \System32, but then it said it couldn't run them, that they weren't for my version of Windows. ?
There is no good reason that should be running, if you didn't actually install the module.

At this point, I would clean install the OS.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Are you still sharing your internet with your neighbor?

Haven't ever shared my internet since I moved into this place.

Edit: Ok, I clean-installed Win10 1607 on a factory-fresh Intel 256GB M.2 SSD.

Edit: I thought I had an epiphany, and installed the Intel LAN drivers, off my mobo maker's site, but that didn't appear to install IIS.

Edit: I Installed Intel RST too, in case that installed IIS, but it didn't.

Looks like somehow, I was 0wn3d, at the same time the Anniv. update installed, or shortly thereafter. Very strange.

I'm not ruling out physical trespass, but if they did that, why would they do something that could be detected as obvious, like installing IIS? I assume that they were using my PC as some sort of relay or proxy.

I surf the internet on this PC, but nothing at all "shady". No pr0n, no "movie sites", nothing that would intentionally pop up a malicious ad. Not that that couldn't have been a vector, it could have. Heck, the ads on this very forum could have done it.

Edit: Does IIS allow setting up an auto-web-proxy for browsers? Just wondering if they were sucking down my internet and sending it out to some server somewhere.

Edit: I haven't had Flash Player or Java or Acrobat Reader installed, for months and months on my PCs. So that couldn't have been the vector, I don't think.

Except... Skype uses Flash Player to show ads, and it's built-in.

Last edited:

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I just updated the firmware on my four NAS units, and changed their passwords to something non-default, just in case somehow, someone from the outside can connect to them. I'm generally careful to disable "Cloud" services on these devices, but who knows what they might add with firmware updates.