Paul Ryan endorses organized labor union....

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
I support organized labor. Just not for Governmental entities. The Government is already a Union of the people, any further division into another "party" imo constitutes that "party" trying to steal our Government of the people and supplant our Union with one of their own.

This is exactly how I feel about political parties as well.

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
I support organized labor. Just not for Governmental entities. The Government is already a Union of the people, any further division into another "party" imo constitutes that "party" trying to steal our Government of the people and supplant our Union with one of their own.

This is exactly how I feel about political parties as well.

Government isn't a union of people, and even if it were, that has nothing to do with employees.

Have you missed where governments have cut public worker salaries and benefits? I just quit my County of Maui job after 2 years of furloughs, salary freeze, and no advancement, all due to the decisions of the elected county council.

The public is the employer of government workers, not their "union of people".

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
Paul Ryan doesn't like private unions either... he was caught on tape saying that he wanted a 'divide and conquer' tactic against all unions. First it was the public unions, next it'll be the private unions.

Oh but football is so important too him.

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
Government isn't a union of people, and even if it were, that has nothing to do with employees.

Have you missed where governments have cut public worker salaries and benefits? I just quit my County of Maui job after 2 years of furloughs, salary freeze, and no advancement, all due to the decisions of the elected county council.

The public is the employer of government workers, not their "union of people".

Uh... Government, at least how we use it in the "democratic" sense, very much is a union of people. Yes I have seen Governments cut workers checks and IMO that's fine. You can blame the rest of society for not producing as much to support your Government job, while you go back into the "private" sector and try to produce.

What's really wonky is that some of you don't view Government as being by the people or for the people. It really is sad that the United Corporations of America have plagued and indoctrinated so many minds.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Uh... Government, at least how we use it in the "democratic" sense, very much is a union of people. Yes I have seen Governments cut workers checks and IMO that's fine. You can blame the rest of society for not producing as much to support your Government job, while you go back into the "private" sector and try to produce.

What's really wonky is that some of you don't view Government as being by the people or for the people. It really is sad that the United Corporations of America have plagued and indoctrinated so many minds.

Maybe it's not that society hasn't produced enough, but rather that various interests alter & game the system to contribute less.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
No, the problem is big government spending too much money

Yes, I know- if we could just get govt to quit spending, why, we could really bring the economy to its knees, huh? Then nobody would be spending, and we could spiral down into something like 1931. Whooppee!

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
I stopped listening to what Mitt thinks/believes and the same with Paul.
At this point, who knows what the hell they really think from one day to the next?
Depends on which way the wind blows, I guess.
All I know is at this point it would be very difficult being a republican, and supporting this ticket.
The best bet would be to write off 2012 and look ahead to 2016.
And God forbid Mittens decides to try again in 2016.... OUCH!

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
I stopped listening to what Mitt thinks/believes and the same with Paul.
At this point, who knows what the hell they really think from one day to the next?
Depends on which way the wind blows, I guess.
All I know is at this point it would be very difficult being a republican, and supporting this ticket.
The best bet would be to write off 2012 and look ahead to 2016.
And God forbid Mittens decides to try again in 2016.... OUCH!

Bottom line: Romney/Ryan have only two things they want and are willing to sacrifice the middle class and the poor.....(Dems, Repubs...same thing to these two guys) to get it: The rich must have more tax cuts and less regulations that stop them from scamming, poisoning, bilking, flimflamming and or otherwise hurting the public in general, all in the name of "freedom" and bigger profits.

The only problem these two guys have is trying to convince the masses - you know, where most of the votes come from? - that they care for them and want them to share in the American dream, all while these two guys need to stab these folks in the back to make the wishes of their fellow corporatist royalty come true.

Plutocracy FTW!

Last edited:
Oct 16, 1999
Wisconsin gets screwed over by scabs during a labor dispute and Paul Ryan is cheering for union workers to be put back to work. It's a delicious irony and hypocrisy sandwich. Nom nom nom.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
You guys are a bit confused. He wants to remove unions but not kill all those in the unions. In other words, the good people in a union would still exist to do the good job, just without a union.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
You guys are a bit confused. He wants to remove unions but not kill all those in the unions. In other words, the good people in a union would still exist to do the good job, just without a union.

Without the union the refs would have no barganing power with the NFL owners.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
Without the union the refs would have no barganing power with the NFL owners.

Yes they would, the same bargaining power every person not in a union has with their boss. You imply it is impossible to negotiate your salary, days off, etc. if you do not have some union doing it for you.

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007

Politicians are elected by the people to represent them. They aren't a "union of the people". Public servants work for the people, just like private sector workers are employed by the corporation or business.

Following your logic, a publicly traded corporation is a union of shareholders, therefore its employees don't need to be unionized. But isn't it really obvious that the shareholders have opposing interests when it comes to pay, benefits, safety, etc?

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
Yes they would, the same bargaining power every person not in a union has with their boss. You imply it is impossible to negotiate your salary, days off, etc. if you do not have some union doing it for you.

A single worker has a lot less bargaining power than the company. That's why along with the decline in unionization, wages have gone down.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
at least in the NFL. Guess organized labor isn't so bad when it comes to his entertainment. Or is Paul just sucking up to all those NFL fans?

Neocons are the big-gov moderates. They'll take your side EVERY time it's convenient.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
A single worker has a lot less bargaining power than the company. That's why along with the decline in unionization, wages have gone down.

Wages havent gone down. Even in this recession wages have grown, just more slowly than before the recession. Which makes sense as there is a larger supply of labor.

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
Wages havent gone down. Even in this recession wages have grown, just more slowly than before the recession. Which makes sense as there is a larger supply of labor.

Wages have gone down over the past few decades while household income has grown slightly because of increasing dual earners

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Wisconsin gets screwed over by scabs during a labor dispute and Paul Ryan is cheering for union workers to be put back to work. It's a delicious irony and hypocrisy sandwich. Nom nom nom.

lol, this thread and people like I quoted are hilarious. To want the best officials out there does NOT mean he is siding with the Union or endorsing them. Seriously - are you libs really that obtuse?

I wanted the real refs back from the start - doesn't mean I was siding with the Union, nor did it mean I support unions. sheesh.

Anarchist420

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2010
www.facebook.com
I think we need decentralism (states' rights) for all labor legislation, but not pro-14th Amendment shit (which citizens united was as well as the national right to work act)... public unions should be abolished even though they may not ever all be abolished. At the same time, the Federal income tax would need to be repealed and the tariffs would have to be lower than the export taxes (to make domestic production cheaper) that would also have to be imposed even though they should really just abolish the US gov because central planning seldom has its desired effects.

Gardener

Nov 22, 1999
lol, this thread and people like I quoted are hilarious. To want the best officials out there does NOT mean he is siding with the Union or endorsing them. Seriously - are you libs really that obtuse?

I wanted the real refs back from the start - doesn't mean I was siding with the Union, nor did it mean I support unions. sheesh.

The hypocrisy is wanting the union refs back on the job while touting the Fox news, anti-union line.

Let me put it in terms you can understand. You go to a deli and order a Pastrami on rye, then ask the clerk to hold the pastrami. You are against pastrami. But you can't have that sandwich without it.

Now eat your sandwich. Make that nom nom nom sound.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Wages have gone down over the past few decades while household income has grown slightly because of increasing dual earners

Hardly. Wages have continued to go up. Usually at about 3-3.3% pace until the recent recession. Then it has slowed. But like I said, a larger supply of labor explains that.

Gardener

Nov 22, 1999
Hardly. Wages have continued to go up. Usually at about 3-3.3% pace until the recent recession. Then it has slowed. But like I said, a larger supply of labor explains that.

U.S. wages, adjusted for inflation, peaked in the 1970's.