Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
available on GoG and steam

a sequel in the sense of the same universe, but doesn't appear to use the same characters or anything. might wait for the steam/gog fall sale, but given the number of hours i put in on Kingmaker, i won't feel bad about picking this up even at retail price. I know i'll get my money's worth.

Anyone else planning to jump back into the Pathfinder universe?

ArenCordial

Sep 18, 2012
I did. I've only managed to play a bit because exams have kept me, busy but so far it's great. Planning on putting in some serious hours this week. The mythic paths so far seem to have some great reactivity and replay value.

bguile

Nov 30, 2011
available on GoG and steam

a sequel in the sense of the same universe, but doesn't appear to use the same characters or anything. might wait for the steam/gog fall sale, but given the number of hours i put in on Kingmaker, i won't feel bad about picking this up even at retail price. I know i'll get my money's worth.

Anyone else planning to jump back into the Pathfinder universe?

Been playing this Alpha. If you liked Kingmaker, then you will like this.

Similar to Kingmaker it basically follows the tabletop version, with some modifications to the story. Just a few things off the top of my head that they added/improved. Better UI, more classes, more races, fully 3d map now (no locked isometric view), turn base is now in at launch, no more timed quests, more focused story this time around, the new death animations are amazing, and last but not least the mythic classes and abilities are all great and allow for far more replayability.

Downsides are of course still bugs, but it is in much much better shape than Kingmaker was at launch. I have only encountered minor bugs that are fixed by reloading (falling through floor a couple of times), but I am still only in Act 3 currently. Maybe wait for a few more patches to fix the rest, but you should be ok if you purchased now.

I find it to be much harder than Kingmaker, just because the demons all have spell and damage resistance, plus special abilities they love to use. To me, the companions also require more work/knowledge. In Kingmaker, the companions they give you are basically a fairly standard rpg party, and you have access to them pretty early in the game (tank, damage dealer, bard, cleric, support bard, etc). In Wrath the companions are not as straight forward in their roles so it requires a bit more understanding of the game system to get the most out of them. That said, playing on normal difficulty should be fine, and you can always just bump the difficulty down if you run into trouble. The only other difficulty is in the sheer amount of choices and ways to build your character now. Just so many feats and mythic abilities to choose from.

I have neither a good or negative opinion on the new crusade army system they have in. It's basically a mini version of the Heros of Might and magic system. I don't mind it, but I don't love it either.

I really do like this game, shaping up to be one of the best rpgs ever, but its not for everyone.

ArenCordial

Sep 18, 2012
Oh man I never played Kingmaker with the turn based addition, but being able to switch between turn based and rtwp with the press on a button is amazing.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Oh man I never played Kingmaker with the turn based addition, but being able to switch between turn based and rtwp with the press on a button is amazing.
RTWP or go home ;) :D
(i prefer turn-based for JRPGs and tactics games)

bguile

Nov 30, 2011
RTWP or go home ;) :D
(i prefer turn-based for JRPGs and tactics games)

It makes a big difference. With the new 3D maps, there seem to be more chokepoints, plus the tons of special abilities you can get from the mythic paths...it just makes managing everything a lot easier. The only downside to it is that you can't really interrupt enemy spell casters in turn based mode, the way you can in RTWP. But then again, in turn based you can always make sure you get your spells and abilities to fire.

Reactions: Fenixgoon

Worthington

Golden Member
Apr 29, 2005
I'm loving it. Sunk way to many hours into already, and no sign of stopping. There are definitely some bugs, and if you are familiar with pathfinder you'll find yourself saying "WTF just happened there, that's not how that works" on occasion but overall one of the best game purchases I've made in a long time.

Reactions: Fenixgoon