Path of Exile 3.0 Discussion

Page 69 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

rstrohkirch

Platinum Member
May 31, 2005
Due to that switch I'm down to 16 respec points. I do have trouble staying alive, especially against bosses and delves.
I missed the part where the cone is solid, I thought it was just 5 arrows in a cone. Does the projectile in the middle just do whatever the bow attack is?

The projectile is just a basic arrow. The idea for clearing is just to shoot in the general direction for regular mobs and then aim at rares. I haven't played with this skill much so even though PoB says you should have a large AoE, you need to confirm in game as to the reach of that cone. Just make sure that when you need do deal single target DPS that you put the target at the very edge of the visual cone so you get max DPS.

In regards to dying, the new build layout should make huge improvements. You'll make it into red maps no problem now. If you need respec points just bug Homer when he's online and he should be able to give you a pile of regrets. Another note, you should also have movement speed on your boots. I could list a dozen reasons why you should have it but for the future you should consider it mandatory as soon as you get to maps.

Reactions: JTsyo

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
The projectile is just a basic arrow. The idea for clearing is just to shoot in the general direction for regular mobs and then aim at rares. I haven't played with this skill much so even though PoB says you should have a large AoE, you need to confirm in game as to the reach of that cone. Just make sure that when you need do deal single target DPS that you put the target at the very edge of the visual cone so you get max DPS.

In regards to dying, the new build layout should make huge improvements. You'll make it into red maps no problem now. If you need respec points just bug Homer when he's online and he should be able to give you a pile of regrets. Another note, you should also have movement speed on your boots. I could list a dozen reasons why you should have it but for the future you should consider it mandatory as soon as you get to maps.

I still think this is a dumb mechanic. It just shouldn't exist. Not to mention unwritten movement penalties for gear

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007

Got the build going. Works as advertised. Bosses are much easier now with Sniper's Mark. Now I feel more comfortable trying some of the harder combos for the league. It survives much further down in the delve too.
2 issues. There wasn't a good bow from the link you had send. I'm currently using my old bow since it has cold (104-229) and lightning (26-467). It works well enough to charge up Trinity. There's a bit of fire dmg from my gloves and jewel but it doesn't screw up trinity as far as I can tell. Seems it's not as picky as Elem Equilibrium. Homer gave me a bunch of chaos so now I have 220c for a bow if that opens up new possibilities.
My other issue is I don't know how to change skills in the class section. Respec points don't work for it. I'm one lab away from getting the next two points but focal point doesn't seem useful for this build.
Thanks for taking the time with this.

EDIT: I must have been up too late yesterday. I had forgotten they were call Ascendancy points. Quick google shows you just need to use 5 respec for each.

Last edited:

rstrohkirch

Platinum Member
May 31, 2005
Got the build going. Works as advertised. Bosses are much easier now with Sniper's Mark. Now I feel more comfortable trying some of the harder combos for the league. It survives much further down in the delve too.
2 issues. There wasn't a good bow from the link you had send. I'm currently using my old bow since it has cold (104-229) and lightning (26-467). It works well enough to charge up Trinity. There's a bit of fire dmg from my gloves and jewel but it doesn't screw up trinity as far as I can tell. Seems it's not as picky as Elem Equilibrium. Homer gave me a bunch of chaos so now I have 220c for a bow if that opens up new possibilities.
My other issue is I don't know how to change skills in the class section. Respec points don't work for it. I'm one lab away from getting the next two points but focal point doesn't seem useful for this build.
Thanks for taking the time with this.

EDIT: I must have been up too late yesterday. I had forgotten they were call Ascendancy points. Quick google shows you just need to use 5 respec for each.

That's fine on the bow. The only reason I suggested it was to get you the projectile speed roll. Obviously a better bow will mean more damage but getting up that projectile speed means you can get further away from your target and less chance of death. You also don't need to respec your ascendancy point if you don't want to. Now that you got your damage, life and defenses up you should be able to do uber lab now. If you don't have any offerings then just buy a couple and run it to get your last 2 points.

Couple of things I wanted to mention looking at your current PoB. Your accuracy isn't high enough now to take advantage of Precise Technique and it's costing you about 500k dps. You need about 250 base accuracy or around 30% increased accuracy to get you back where you need to be. My suggestion for now is to regret the Avatar of the Hunt cluster and grab the Weathered Hunter node wheel. You can regret it later if you get accuracy somewhere else. You can check to see your accuracy under the Calcs tab in PoB and in the middle it has an Accuracy box. Your MH accuracy just needs to be more than your current health.

The other thing I noticed is you are leveling a lot of the skills you just swapped in. At this point in the league you can grab level 20 and sometimes level 20/20 gems for just a few chaos each. Things like Grace/Wrath/Snipers Mark/ETC would benefit from spending the few chaos instead of leveling them and waiting.

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
My suggestion for now is to regret the Avatar of the Hunt cluster and grab the Weathered Hunter node wheel.
Would the 2 nodes with 15% accuracy with Farsight be enough?
Looking at PoB it seems so but not sure if there are other implications. I can pull one point from the bow mastery and I'm close to level up for the other.

Last edited:

rstrohkirch

Platinum Member
May 31, 2005
Would the 2 nodes with 15% accuracy with Farsight be enough?
Looking at PoB it seems so but not sure if there are other implications. I can pull one point from the bow mastery and I'm close to level up for the other.

Sure, do whatever works best for you. Keep in mind that you gain inherit life as you level. So make sure you check after each level or gear change that you're still OK. That keystone is worth more than an average gem link.

Edit: You could also swap the mastery on the Far Sight wheel to +100 accuracy per green socket on bow. That'll fix all your issues.

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
Sure, do whatever works best for you. Keep in mind that you gain inherit life as you level. So make sure you check after each level or gear change that you're still OK. That keystone is worth more than an average gem link.

Edit: You could also swap the mastery on the Far Sight wheel to +100 accuracy per green socket on bow. That'll fix all your issues.
Good call, I did that and now accuracy is above 5k.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
I bumped up another level today
removed a 6% life node, added another jewel slot and tossed in another ghastly eye.

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
Did Coward's Trail unique map at level 10, no way I would have survived that without all the new defenses. Got most of the yellows done now, I think I'm ready to push into Red. I keep looking at trade but can't find bows that go much over 200 for elem dmg.

Borealis7

Platinum Member
Oct 19, 2006
Did Coward's Trail unique map at level 10, no way I would have survived that without all the new defenses. Got most of the yellows done now, I think I'm ready to push into Red. I keep looking at trade but can't find bows that go much over 200 for elem dmg.
Doomfletch Prism unique bow maybe? its an old trick from the inquisitor days for high ele damage.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000

There's a decent bow there right now (using the link he provided). Only 4L but can easily bump to 5L
I will keep my eye open for bows when I play and if I see one for sale (or drop) I will pick it up for you.
You can turn on live search too which sometimes works nicely. I will just have it running on the 2nd monitor while I play on the other monitor. and if it pops up I quick msg the seller

rstrohkirch

Platinum Member
May 31, 2005
I keep looking at trade but can't find bows that go much over 200 for elem dmg.

Now that I see your near end game numbers it makes it easier to pick out a bow that's going to work OK with Trinity. Here is a better list to pick a bow from but keep in mind you'll still want to check in PoB if the bow is better than what you have. Because that list could contain bows that are anywhere from worse than yours to 20%+ more damage than yours. If you need help with how to compare items just let us know. The only stat that doesn't show up in PoB is bow attacks fire an additional arrow. For you that's worth 12% more damage than what is shown by the bow in the DPS number.

Bows: https://www.pathofexile.com/trade/search/Archnemesis/29l52vVtk

I will say that buying 20/20 gems for your main skill+supports and then sniper's mark/wrath are worth much more than a bow upgrade.

doomfletch prism deals ALL 3 elementals damage haha

With the new elemental damage rolls that weapons can get now, Doomfletch is very far behind in DPS. It's around 100-110 base per element and bows can now roll over 4x that for each element.

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
I picked up a 20/20 sniper's mark but the rest seemed to be small bumps. I will check the difference in POB.
Found the last lab so I can get the last 2 Ascendancy points this weekend.
One more question I have is what to Aniont my necklace with. Something worth more damage or a Life node?

Last edited:

rstrohkirch

Platinum Member
May 31, 2005
I picked up a 20/20 sniper's mark but the rest seemed to be small bumps. I will check the difference in POB.
Other big ones are Wrath, Galvanic Arrow and Added Cold. You should buy a lvl 21/0 Grace as well as it's worth another 4% evade over what you have now. I would suggest you try swapping the Added Cold for a lvl 20 Faster Projectiles support. It'll get your AOE out further and wider so the damage may be a little less but it should feel better to play with FP. But you'd have to test both.

Found the last lab so I can get the last 2 Ascendancy points this weekend.
They changed it so you don't need to find the trials anymore for Uber lab. All you need now is just an offering to open it up. Focal Point will give you more damage but Gathering Winds will feel better to map with.

One more question I have is what to Aniont my necklace with. Something worth more damage or a Life node?

I personally aim for at least 5K life so I'd probably opt for life so something like Discipline and Training. If you anoint that and get 2 more levels that you put into a life node and the 10% life mastery then you'll be at just under 5.1k life.

Last edited:

rstrohkirch

Platinum Member
May 31, 2005
Ok, I just realized I made a mistake on your damage numbers. I was looking into Galvanic Arrow because the damage seemed really high for your investment level. I was under the impression it still did not count the arrow quantity so you had to add that in to get your total DPS. Well, it looks like that was fixed awhile back so the only thing you have to do is multiple your DPS by 2 if you hit both the cone and the arrow.

This means your original DPS was 80k and your current DPS is about 350 to 400k. Which makes more sense. I also read that total projectile speed doesn't increase the AOE of the skill only stats that specifically read "increased projectile speed". So that 15% more projectile mastery isn't doing anything and you can put the point else where.

Your DPS with 20/20 skill gems, a better bow and your last ascendancy point should put you up around 750k if you hit both the cone and arrows.

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
Ok, I just realized I made a mistake on your damage numbers. I was looking into Galvanic Arrow because the damage seemed really high for your investment level. I was under the impression it still did not count the arrow quantity so you had to add that in to get your total DPS. Well, it looks like that was fixed awhile back so the only thing you have to do is multiple your DPS by 2 if you hit both the cone and the arrow.

This means your original DPS was 80k and your current DPS is about 350 to 400k. Which makes more sense. I also read that total projectile speed doesn't increase the AOE of the skill only stats that specifically read "increased projectile speed". So that 15% more projectile mastery isn't doing anything and you can put the point else where.

Your DPS with 20/20 skill gems, a better bow and your last ascendancy point should put you up around 750k if you hit both the cone and arrows.
That's with the one that gives Tailwind? I was working towards the elem penetration node (Forces of Nature), so I'll put the extra point there. POB says +16% dmg if I get those 3 nodes.
I do have the Bow mastery "Increases in speed applies to damage" so I should be getting damage out of it instead of spread still, right?

Last edited:

rstrohkirch

Platinum Member
May 31, 2005
That's with the one that gives Tailwind?
I see you finished Uber lab and got your last two points

I was working towards the elem penetration node (Forces of Nature), so I'll put the extra point there. POB says +16% dmg if I get those 3 nodes.
Looks good. I'd grab the mastery from that node circle as well that gives 10% of physical as an extra element.

I do have the Bow mastery "Increases in speed applies to damage" so I should be getting damage out of it instead of spread still, right?
Ya, keep that one. Just get rid of the 15% more projectile speed mastery from the Longshot cluster.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Let me say too that this is the longest I have played any league, I think

The changes in 2.17 and the atlas shaping have just been a Godsend. It makes every map exciting (though I'm a little bored of the T16s. I wish at the end game, EVERY map type could drop as T16). If they mess up the 3.18 patch, people are going to riot I think.

The build has been great too. Skeleton Mages is pretty much like a totem build. But way more powerful. I'm pretty much at a build plateau not seeing where I can significantly increase damage or defense. I did buy my most expensive piece of gear ever - a 19E chest piece.

Been really fun and I have until 4/1 to keep playing (MLB The Show 2022 drops) and I expect to keep hammering away. I still have to beat The Maven and Sirus (haven't even tried him yet)

rstrohkirch

Platinum Member
May 31, 2005
Been really fun and I have until 4/1 to keep playing (MLB The Show 2022 drops) and I expect to keep hammering away. I still have to beat The Maven and Sirus (haven't even tried him yet)

You'll mow down Sirus. The Maven probably just needs another run or two. She's pretty easy once you get the hang of it. Do you swap out Greater volley for Slower Projectiles on tough bosses?

Last edited: