Patent holders meet the supreme court

CLite

Golden Member
Dec 6, 2005
The supreme court has been slaying patent trolls as of late.

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2014/06/supreme-court-raises-bar-on-vague-patents-in-rulings/

This year
9-0 Highmark v. Allcare Health Management Systems
9-0 Octane Fitness v. Icon Health
9-0 Nautilus, Inc. v. Biosig Instruments, Inc,
9-0 Limelight Networks, Inc. v. Akamai Technologies, Inc.

The first two make it easier to recover attorney fees from people who bring forth bullshit lawsuits. The third guts vague patents. The fourth says a single party must engage in complete method patent violation (you can't string together defendants violating pieces of a method patent and say combined they violate it). All of them absolutely shred the federal circuit for essentially being a disservice to the American people.

One left to go Alice Corp. v. CLS Bank.... Will the supreme court succeed where congress (Leahy) failed?

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
I am impressed, even as the holder of at least one BS patent (and several non-BS ones).

Now if only they could knock copyrights back down to a reasonable level.

CLite

Golden Member
Dec 6, 2005
I am impressed, even as the holder of at least one BS patent (and several non-BS ones).

Now if only they could knock copyrights back down to a reasonable level.

Yeah it is pretty impressive to see 4 unanimous decisions in one field of law all reprimanding the federal circuit within a couple months.

Unfortunately the copyright industry is much more deeply entrenched and there isn't a similar popular uprising like the anti-patent troll following.

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
Wow. I'm surprised there's any such thing as a unanimous SCOTUS decision anymore. Makes me a little less cynical.

shira

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2005

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2014/06/supreme-court-raises-bar-on-vague-patents-in-rulings/

This year
9-0 Highmark v. Allcare Health Management Systems
9-0 Octane Fitness v. Icon Health
9-0 Nautilus, Inc. v. Biosig Instruments, Inc,
9-0 Limelight Networks, Inc. v. Akamai Technologies, Inc.

The first two make it easier to recover attorney fees from people who bring forth bullshit lawsuits. The third guts vague patents. The fourth says a single party must engage in complete method patent violation (you can't string together defendants violating pieces of a method patent and say combined they violate it). All of them absolutely shred the federal circuit for essentially being a disservice to the American people.

One left to go Alice Corp. v. CLS Bank.... Will the supreme court succeed where congress (Leahy) failed?
The decision in Limelight Networks, Inc. v. Akamai Technologies, Inc. is problematical. The ruling says that (for example) if Company A creates and sells a product that reproduces half of a patented (by another company) method, and then provides detailed instructions with the product that tell purchasers of the product how to reproduce the other half of the patented method - the combined effect being to completely reproduce the patented method - then (under Limelight Networks, Inc. v. Akamai Technologies, Inc.) Company A has an ironclad defense against infringement. That seems obviously wrong. I guarantee that this ruling will be revisited.

simpletron

Oct 31, 2008
The decision in Limelight Networks, Inc. v. Akamai Technologies, Inc. is problematical. The ruling says that (for example) if Company A creates and sells a product that reproduces half of a patented (by another company) method, and then provides detailed instructions with the product that tell purchasers of the product how to reproduce the other half of the patented method - the combined effect being to completely reproduce the patented method - then (under Limelight Networks, Inc. v. Akamai Technologies, Inc.) Company A has an ironclad defense against infringement. That seems obviously wrong. I guarantee that this ruling will be revisited.

This won't be revisited, but the rule from Muniauction, Inc. v. Thomson Corp. which states that direct infringement requires a single party to perform every step of a claimed method, may be because this is a direct result of that ruling. The supreme assumed that the Muniauction decision was correct, but declined to make opinion on that case.

The supreme court opinion.
http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/13pdf/12-786_664d.pdf

WHAMPOM

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006
Strange how when big corporations(Disney, MGM, movie, records. books, etc.) copyrights were about to run out there was a rewrite to extend them?

Pr0d1gy

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2005
Does this alter your paranoid world view even one tiny bit?

Is that really necessary? Anarchist is very open about his issue and it's honestly pathetic that so many of you constantly attack and belittle him every chance you get.

KB

Diamond Member
Nov 8, 1999

All of them absolutely shred the federal circuit for essentially being a disservice to the American people.

I think if a higher court overrules you, you should be disbarred as a judge for several months to life. The higher courts decision means you were wrong and did not review the correct case law, yet nothing ever happens to these judges. They keep making bad decision after bad decision and staying on the bench. If I had to fix bug after bug of my underlings code, then I would fire them. Not so in law.

Anarchist420

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2010
www.facebook.com
Is that really necessary? Anarchist is very open about his issue and it's honestly pathetic that so many of you constantly attack and belittle him every chance you get.
thank you.:)

Does this alter your paranoid world view even one tiny bit?
i am not paranoid, and i wasnt even diagnosed with any paranoid disorder. it is people who support the State and shit like "counter-terrorism" and the drug war who are paranoid--they dont trust people. the only people i dont trust are those who work for the State.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
All I did was ask him a question. He constantly asserts that the government is out for one thing only: to control us. If that isn't paranoid I don't know what is. He also rails against the patent system. I think it is valid to ask if these rulings make any dent in his world view.

Mxylplyx

Diamond Member
Mar 21, 2007
thank you.:)

i am not paranoid, and i wasnt even diagnosed with any paranoid disorder. it is people who support the State and shit like "counter-terrorism" and the drug war who are paranoid--they dont trust people. the only people i dont trust are those who work for the State.

My dad worked for the state all his life. He spent his entire career working with the deaf and blind to provide whatever rehabilitation services they needed to become self sufficient and employed. You let the misdeeds of a tiny minority representing the state, mostly on the law enforcement and national security side I presume, cloud your view of the entire apparatus. For every one overzealous asshole cop, there are 10 more doing worthy thing that you are oblivious to and likely take for granted.

Pr0d1gy

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2005
All I did was ask him a question. He constantly asserts that the government is out for one thing only: to control us. If that isn't paranoid I don't know what is. He also rails against the patent system. I think it is valid to ask if these rulings make any dent in his world view.

So, even with all the concrete evidence you still refuse to accept that governments exist to control the populace? If you think they aren't, then your head is so buried in the sand you could give an accurate description of the beach in China where your head pokes out a little.

And, quite frankly, we should all rail against the patent system because it is a massive scam. It is being used to stifle competition, withhold advanced technologies, and monopolize the wealth of humanity.

I think you need to find more variety in your reading material. And stop insulting people you disagree with ffs.

My dad worked for the state all his life. He spent his entire career working with the deaf and blind to provide whatever rehabilitation services they needed to become self sufficient and employed. You let the misdeeds of a tiny minority representing the state, mostly on the law enforcement and national security side I presume, cloud your view of the entire apparatus. For every one overzealous asshole cop, there are 10 more doing worthy thing that you are oblivious to and likely take for granted.

I completely agree with this, but when those 10 refuse to impose the rule of law on those ones then you get what we have now. That is why I agree that the government is there to control us, because that is exactly what they do as of now. Educational indoctrination, television 'programming', mind control testing, exposed false flags....these are all proven methods of control used by governments, and our government is no different in being exposed as carrying out these heinous acts...multiple times.

Last edited:

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Wow. I'm surprised there's any such thing as a unanimous SCOTUS decision anymore. Makes me a little less cynical.

unanimous is the most common outcome. heck, even samuel alito and sonia sotomayor agree with each other (in full, part, or judgment) 74% of the time.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
So, even with all the concrete evidence you still refuse to accept that governments exist to control the populace? If you think they aren't, then your head is so buried in the sand you could give an accurate description of the beach in China where your head pokes out a little.

And, quite frankly, we should all rail against the patent system because it is a massive scam. It is being used to stifle competition, withhold advanced technologies, and monopolize the wealth of humanity.

I think you need to find more variety in your reading material. And stop insulting people you disagree with ffs.

I completely agree with this, but when those 10 refuse to impose the rule of law on those ones then you get what we have now. That is why I agree that the government is there to control us, because that is exactly what they do as of now. Educational indoctrination, television 'programming', mind control testing, exposed false flags....these are all proven methods of control used by governments, and our government is no different in being exposed as carrying out these heinous acts...multiple times.
Can you instruct me on how not to insult people I disagree with? You seem to be an expert. BTW, I didn't insult anyone in this thread.

Mxylplyx

Diamond Member
Mar 21, 2007

What exactly do you mean when you say "what we have now"? You say that as if we are living under a tyrannical dictatorship. Perhaps you should travel the world and see some of it's more unsavory parts so you can get a little perspective on "what we have now". You might realize that despite our issues, which are greatly amplified by our reactionary media outlets, we have it pretty damn good. As for the last half of your comment, I'm just going to leave that alone.