password managers

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Is it just me or are they more trouble than they are worth?

I just bought Dashlane so i could sync between multiple devices.
Trying to use the password generator for secure passwords but it seems more often than not something gets messed up and the new password doesn't work or isn't saved or something, so I have to keep trying to reset it.

TheRyuu

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2005
Is it just me or are they more trouble than they are worth?

Just you. Password managers are one of the few things that the end user can use to protect themselves in case of site compromise. In addition to being able to use site specific passwords it will also enable you to use long(er) randomly generated passwords (i.e. 16-32 character passwords, depends what the site allows). Chrome even has a password generator built in.

Even if you're just using the built-in one in Chrome or your browser or choice you're better off than had you not provided you're doing the above two things.

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
I've used RoboForm for years. It gets an update periodically, and manages hundreds of passwords in several computers via a common data file. I would be SOL w/o it.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
You actually paid for Dashlane?

There a offer for Dashlane 6 months free.
Had no idea. But you cant sync between devices without the paid version. Plus ill need it for more than 6 months.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Chiefcrowe

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2008
Although it doesn't sync, I like keepass. I don't use a lot of different devices anyway, so that's fine for me.

It's nice to be able to generate long random passwords for sites that I don't use that often too. Also I like to be able to save the URLs and notes along with each login.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Although it doesn't sync, I like keepass. I don't use a lot of different devices anyway, so that's fine for me.

It's nice to be able to generate long random passwords for sites that I don't use that often too. Also I like to be able to save the URLs and notes along with each login.

That's what I use, and I keep it on SpiderOak. It's usable on any normal platform, and not tied to any online service. Not the easiest, but it puts control in the user's hands where it belongs.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I wanted one that is web based but not cloud based, I ended up just writing my own. It's pretty rudimentary but it works. I need to setup a better way so I can change the master password though. right now the password is basically the decryption key, so if I want to change it I have to re-encrypt all the database. :p It was quickly thrown together and I just never got around to making it better. I also need to add in a random password generator, more efficient than mashing the keyboard.

Entropism

Sep 2, 2002
Had no idea. But you cant sync between devices without the paid version. Plus ill need it for more than 6 months.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

You uh... Might be able to use one-off emails to extend that. Just saying. Not that I have 5 years of it going or anything.

That being said, I prefer Lastpass. Free for browser use, $12/year for Android/iOS syncing, and their Android app is BY FAR the best out there. Every other android password manager makes you switch to a proprietary keyboard and/or browser for auto-filling, while LastPass uses an overlay that will autofill for you using whatever browser/keyboard you want.

Dashlane says they're working on this feature, and when they do I MIGHT switch (because of those referrals) but they're not worth $40/year, for damn sure. Especially when they don't offer any features over say, Enpass or KeyPass, which are either free or next to free.

Zodiark1593

Platinum Member
Oct 21, 2012
I use Truekey for passwords that are not critical, IE, stuff I can't be bothered to commit to memory. For the few things I do want to keep safe, passphrases are used.

Also, Two-Factor all the things!