Passive speakers and amp for beginner

cctaylor88

Nov 2, 2012
I'm currently using a Logitech all in one speaker setup and need to advance the system. I'm sure its all very simple to audio veterans but to someone who has never setup a "passive" system I want to make sure I purchase everything correctly so I have no headaches during initial setup. That is where you come in.

I want to start super basic, most likely with a pair of passive speakers and an amp to get the job done. I want to make sure I purchase all of the required cables. Ideally, I would like to make this as simple as possible so I'd like to utilize banana tips on the wires. Now, besides the wires (red/black right?) that go from the speakers to the amp... the amp will have some RCA (red/white) connections right? Where does the other end of that go... I'm assuming somewhere on my PC. My PC doesn't have a "sound card" or anything of that nature, is this an issue? So it goes speaker (red/black) to amp and then amp to computer I'm assuming... but where? I'd love to have an amp with a headphone jack, is this possible on a budget or am I looking at $200+ amps only for this feature?

TL;dr - I'd like a simple setup consisting of passive speakers and an amp, utilizing banana tips if possible, and ideally an amp with a headphone jack that is budget friendly, would also like to know where the RCA cables on the amp connect to. Anything else I need to purchase?

razel

Platinum Member
May 14, 2002
BASIC:

1. RCA L/R (white/red) coming out of your sound card (line out) to the amp.
2. Amp speaker level to the passive speakers.

That RCA line-level out depending on the sound card can be the headphone jack. It does automagically switch to line-level off my laptop. That's it. Don't use banana plugs if the passive speaker has binding posts. Use raw wires there... that's why they use the word, 'binding.'

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
What speakers are you buying? Most computers have built in soundcards.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Long-term, do you want a 5.1 setup? If yes, you want to get a cheap 5.1 receiver ($200-300) not just a 2-channel amplifier.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Or a $20 receiver from a thrift store, though that's a bit of a gamble without a warranty.

Coldfusion

Golden Member
Dec 22, 1999
If you don't have a sound card you'll need a DAC to go from USB -> RCA.

Your amp will have an RCA input and speaker outs.

You can get away with just speaker wire. Or you can get finished cables from a place like blue jeans cable. Don't under any circumstance get Monster Cable.

I'd recommend getting something like this if your budget allows it:
https://emotiva.com/product/ta-100/

It'll hold its value well and sound good.