Pascal 1080 Benchmarks

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mohit9206

Golden Member
Jul 2, 2013
I approve this post. Seriously, calling reviewers who are just trying to do their jobs "bought" without any evidence is just low.
Yeah bought is probably not the right word. "Influenced" is probably more accurate. Those free 5* hotel stays, free 5* food, treated like a VIP can sometimes influence reviewers.
Just kidding.
Disappointing..
Then you should wait for Gigabyte 1080 Xtreme Gaming model.

Feb 19, 2009
Anybody find a clock for clock comparison in any of the reviews? Seems more brute force so far too me at least. Would be nice to see a clock for clock comparison with 980 and 980Ti to get a better picture of the underlying architecture. Sure one can read the silly extensive feature BS but in the end fps are really all that matters.

It's pretty easy to work that out.

From sites that list boost clocks, 1080 is ~1.86 to 1.9ghz by default.

Compared to a 980Ti which is ~1.2ghz.

The gap is a big one, ~55% clock speed advantage.

Translating to ~25% performance lead.

Note, it's got ~10% shader deficit as well though, the 1080 has 2560 CC.

Performance per clock drop by around 20%. Understandable if it has new preemption and fast context switching features, these more flexible designs have a cost in performance.

MrTeal

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2003
@Spanners

I know Hawaii OC very well I had a lot of them for mining and my main one is for gaming.

When pushed, the VRMs get really hot and they have good cooling on them. Mosfets CAN run above 25W per phase, the good ones can run higher, but they lose efficiency so their conversion is poorer and more heat as waste. The crap mosfets could just blow up.

There's a reason all the reference 1080 is doing 2ghz to 2.1ghz OC and it's not cooling related.

It must be either "chip limits" or "power/PCB limits".

They're generally rated by current rather than power, but going above 25A isn't really stressing them too hard depending on the mosfets. The price you pay is in efficiency, as you get hit with a double penalty of higher resistive losses at high current, as well as more loss due to the corresponding higher temperatures. When I was doing bench testing on some eight phase IR3550 VRMs I built, they would happily run over 40A in still air and do their rated 60A all day with air cooling. With some more aggressive cooling they could even do more than that, though ripple gets excessive due to saturation on any of the common inductors. Losses in the VRMs more than triple going from 25A to 50A though while power only doubles, so it's not ideal. It'll be interesting to see what parts they're actually using.

Given TPU only measured 184W draw at the card during peak gaming, it really shouldn't be a hard limit imposed by the actual physical hardware. My guess would be the new boost might adhere more strictly to a TDP limit in BIOS, and you might need a custom BIOS to reach really high OCs.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
It's pretty easy to work that out.

From sites that list boost clocks, 1080 is ~1.86 to 1.9ghz by default.

Compared to a 980Ti which is ~1.2ghz.

The gap is a big one, ~55% clock speed advantage.

Translating to ~25% performance lead.

Note, it's got ~10% shader deficit as well though, the 1080 has 2560 CC.

Performance per clock drop by around 20%. Understandable if it has new preemption and fast context switching features, these more flexible designs have a cost in performance.

1080 also has 2/3rds the ROPs of the 980Ti. Putting it in the camp of the plain jane 980.

But again clock for clock means little if one arch can clock vastly higher.

Det0x

Golden Member
Sep 11, 2014
Why? It's got a decent lead at 4K.

Why'd they lock the other review thread? The other one was more accurate and traditional in the sense of released review linkage.

Performance is good, but i full heartedly agree with guru3d: Its simply not worth the money.. Especially when you consider that a max oced 1080 is only ~10-15% faster then a maxed oced 980ti

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/nvidia_geforce_gtx_1080_review,30.html

On the topic of the Founders Edition with a 100 USD price premium, let me just say this, it is a marketing fail for Nvidia. It was a bit ill-communicated and despite that, you do not price reference products (as premium as you claim them to be) 100 bucks over the AIB/AIC prices.
...Thing is that Nvidia keeps driving the prices upwards. Typically the high-end class product hovers at the 500 USD marker. Nvidia, when they released it, drove the GTX 980 to 549 USD. The GTX 1080 now starts at 599 USD with the reference Founders Edition at a massive 699 USD. For the Founders Edition, that's pretty bad pricing if you ask me.

World prices then (suggested MSRP for Founders edition):

Serbian Dinar RSD 96,900
Czech Koruna CZK 21,400
Danish Krone DKK 6,150
Germany EUR 789
France EUR 789
British Pound GBP 619
Hungarian Forint HUF 259,850
Norwegian Krone NOK 7,599
Polish Zloty PLN 3,599
Romanian New Lei RON 3,499
Russian Rouble RUB 54,990
Indian Rupee INR 63,250
Swedish Krona SEK 7,699
Turkish Lira TRY 2,850
South African Rand ZAR 13,599
Switzerland CHF 790
UAE AED 2,850
USA USD 699

It has been an ongoing trend for a while now. And remember, this is not the enthusiast SKU, that'll be a GTX 1080 Ti / Titan like product and listen closely... the GTX 980 Ti (enthusiast class) started at 699 USD when released, the same price that Nvidia now launches their Founders Edition at. This is the conundrum and dilemma with the GeForce GTX 1080, not the performance, not the product... but the price level. So this is why I ... Keep it in mind, that's all I'm sayin'. It's all about the money money money, right... Jessie?

Last edited:

littleg

Jul 9, 2015
Does seem like they had to sacrifice on IPC to include some features missing from Maxwell but made up for it with raw clockspeed. 20-30% ahead of 980ti is about where it was expected though so no real surprise there.

I wouldn't call it a particularly good buy right now due to pricing but once 1080ti and new Titan hits it might very well drop into the sweet spot.

thesmokingman

Platinum Member
May 6, 2010
Yea, concur the price is a bit... lol not a bit a lot astronomical. Wow, look at some of those world prices, yikes.

Cue Princess Leia, "You're our last hope, AMD?"

Status
Not open for further replies.