Partition tables are jacked

DGath

Jul 5, 2003
I was adjusting some partition sizes on my non windows disk, but something must have messed up becuase now I'm having a hell of a time trying to do anything with that disk.

It's a 300 gig SATA Maxtor that is crammed full of data I'd prefer not to lose. Problem with bootable DOS utils is that they don't support SATA drives, so that really only limits me to windows/linux utilities. I have XP installed on another disk lying around so my current situation is the 300 gigger is now my secondary and I'm just trying to set up the tables/get data off. Paaartition Magic just says "BAD" on the disk and I can't do anything in there. Windows detects a 10 MB partition which is my D drive, but when I look at the drive in "Drive Management" via control panel, it appears to only show one partition filling the whole disk. I ran chkdsk and it says it is in a FAT format, not NAT32 or the NTFS it started in, FAT.

I'm a bit lost on my next step. I'll try some other partition programs. I would use Acronis which has treated me well in the past, but it's locked in on that disk and I can't get it off.

Any ideas? Thanks

DGath

Jul 5, 2003
Running GetDataBack now and it is finding a lot of things , some are showing up as hex values, others as filenames. So the data appears to be there, any ideas on just reconstructing the partition tables?

DGath

Jul 5, 2003
Ran Active Partition Recovery which is supposed to restore any lost partition info, and all that found was a 10 MB partition, and that's it. Going to do a full scan with GetDataBack and just start copying files I guess. Seems like if I could just convert this whole partition to NTFS I could read it in Windows?