Partition Magic and Chkdsk: Cannot Lock Drive or Cannot Lock Volume for Direct Access

fuzzybabybunny

Moderator<br>Digital & Video Cameras
Jan 2, 2006
I'm trying to run both chkdsk and create a new partition on my primary HDD.

When I do chkdsk with the fix command in windows, it says that I have to reboot. So I do, and after the Windows loading bar I get to the white text on blue background screen, and the error message "Cannot Lock Volume for Direct Access."

Judging from the MS knowledge base, this seems to be a problem that MS fixed in their SP2 update, but I have SP2...

When I try to create a partition on my primary, Partition Magic requires a reboot, so I do. After the windows loading bar I get to the white text on blue background screen and Partition Magic now gives me "Error 27: Cannot Lock Drive"

So I thought that some startup program was probably locking the drive. I go into msconfig and select diagnostic startup, so only necessary system services are started on startup. The same thing happens.

Anyone else have any other ideas?

Smilin

Diamond Member
Mar 4, 2002
boot to recovery console and run chkdsk from there.

If something is locking the drive before smss.exe can kick off chkdsk then you have loaded some really badly written software/driver on your box.

If MSConfig does not list it then it is likely a filesystem/mass storage driver or filter driver.

regardless of the cause, recovery console will be the fix. Be aware that you are already in "/f" mode when you run chkdsk in recovery console so that switch does nothing. Instead use the "/p" switch which will force chkdsk to do the scan. Otherwise chkdsk when run from recovery console will only do a true scan if the dirty bit is set on the drive.

Show me a tech that knows how to edit a disk by hand and I'll show you a tech that hates partition havok. That software is bad news.

fuzzybabybunny

Moderator<br>Digital & Video Cameras
Jan 2, 2006
I found out the culprit, and it was the BitDefender AntiVirus software that was constantly locking the drive at startup. I guess I have to go back to Kaspersky or something.

flexy

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2001
daemon-tools ????

oh..yeah..bitdefender locks it too. Had the same problem with PerfectDisk and it was the demontools driver.