Partition Magic 7.0?

Tripleshot

Elite Member
Jan 29, 2000
I am looking over this iteration of PM since I just had to use PM5 to delete some NTFS partitions and format for a RH 7.1 Linux install. I would like some input on whether or not it is worthwhile to upgrade to
7.0 from 5.0? I hate having to upgrade every time I turn around,and the only thing I see here is XP support(well,thats not all,there are some other features) over and above 5.0. Unless linux swap file is supprted and 5.0 doesn't supprt it. That would be a concern.

Anyone?:confused:

Mday

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
if you use winxp, i would recommend an upgrade to 7.

otherwise, i see no reason to get it since you have 5. if you had 4, i'd recommend the upgrade though. but you have 5.

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
To use it on ME, 2K, or XP you MUST upgrade to at least 6 . . . reason . . . they provide their own ersatz DOS to work in which is not available in ME, 2K or XP. 7 is better if you are currently at 5.

A new feature of 7.0 is the ability to merge NTFS partitions; the ability to split partitions below the root directory; supprt for USB external HDDs, and a few other things. 6 and 7 both have the ability to create their own DOS enviroment for doing the work after they leave the Windows menu.

lowtech1

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2000

Use Linux to partition & format your drive, because it is free, other wise you can use FDISK or unmount and mount the drive & partition/format under a Win2K/XP box. Or, try the shareware Paragon Partition Manager.

Tripleshot

Elite Member
Jan 29, 2000
Thank you lowtech.I have RH 7.1 up and running now to learn how to do all that. By the same token,since I do repair and upgrades to all types of systems,investing in PQ PM7.0 may be appropriate. I am about to get involved with a bunch of USB HDDs and zips. That will be OK. Here goes the credit card again!:(;)

lowtech1

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2000

PQ is great, but Paragon Partition Manager is just as good and is much cheaper. In some instance Partition Manager can take longer to do the same task as PQ, but PPM offer the ability to resize Boot partition on W2k Server which would cost you about $600.00USD for the same thing under PQ.