Question Partial rebuild for Ryzen 3900x

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Fardringle

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2000
Answers from the "sticky":

1. I'm looking to (finally) upgrade my very old main home PC. Primary uses are light gaming and heavy distributed computing (BOINC projects).

2. I'd really like to keep the budget around or below $800. Definitely need to keep it under $1000. I know that limits things, but it's all the boss (wife) will agree too. If she had her way, I wouldn't upgrade at all. ;)

3. All parts will be purchased in the US.

5. Not a fanboy, but the Ryzen 3900x seems to be the best option for me right now to get as many fast CPU cores as possible on a limited budget for distributed computing projects.

6. Current PC is i7-3770, 32GB DDR3 RAM, 512GB Samsung EVO 850 SATA SSD, 2TB Western Digital HDD, EVGA GTX 1060, Corsair CX500 PSU, Corsair Carbide Air 540 case.
I'll be keeping the case, the SSD, the HDD, and the GTX 1060 (will probably upgrade the SSD to a cheap NVMe and maybe the GTX 1060 to something else eventually, but not any time soon). Might need to replace the PSU since it has two 6-pin PCIe connectors but only one 8-pin CPU connector and is only 500 watts.

7. Very light overclocking, if any at all. Not necessary, especially if running at stock will make it so the CX500 PSU will work.

8. 1080p light gaming

9. Want to build as soon as I sort out the best parts to get, but I can wait if price drops are expected in the near future.

10. No software really needed, but a 'discount' Windows 10 license could be useful to find in case my current license (upgraded to 10 from Windows 7) won't transfer.

These are my current thoughts on parts, but I'm not stuck on any of them except the Ryzen CPU:

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X with Wraith Prism cooler: $450 from lots of places. Don't see it offered anywhere without the cooler. Microcenter has it for $399, but the closest one is about 800 miles away. I'd REALLY love to get the 3950X, but at almost twice the price it won't fit my budget.

Motherboard: Don't know. x570 is the best overall, but seem to all be well over $300. I've read that B450 boards are a good option for much lower cost for people who aren't using NVMe 4.0 drives (I won't be). A couple of sites recommended MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon (about $150).

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 3200MHz CL16 2x16GB - $147 and Crucial Ballistix 3600MHz CL16 2x16GB - $186 seem to be most recommended budget options, assuming they are on the QVL for the motherboard. 3600MHz is definitely preferred for my primary usage (distributed computing), but 3200MHz is fine if needed to fit the budget. I don't care about the color of the RAM, and definitely don't care if it has LED lights. Prefer not to have LEDs...

If the chosen motherboard has 4 RAM slots, then I can start with 2x8GB for now to save some money and get another 2x8GB later, but I will definitely want 32GB total eventually as some DC projects use a lot of RAM and I don't want to starve the 24 cores/threads of the CPU. If the board only has 2 slots, then I need to get 2x16GB right away.

PSU: If the current Corsair CX500 PSU will work, that's ideal as it leaves more of the $800 budget goal for RAM/motherboard. If not, then a good budget suggestion is appreciated. If the CX500 is borderline but will work short term, then I can get better RAM/Motherboard now and a better PSU later. I've run the build through several PSU calculators and all say that the system at 100% load will pull around 400 watts. I can also pull the 2TB HDD for a while if that will help make the CX500 work. The HDD just stores my movie collection so it doesn't necessarily have to be connected continuously.

Last edited:

Fardringle

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2000
Looks like this will be my finalized “shopping list” for this weekend unless anyone wants to veto it:

Ryzen 9 3900X - $432.37 at Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07SXMZLP9/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

Scythe Fuma 2 - $59.99 at Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07QMK5R45/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A1K48CS0K3BRLW&psc=1

Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite - $199.99 at NewEgg
https://www.newegg.com/gigabyte-x570-aorus-elite/p/N82E16813145160?Description=Aorus x570 Elite&cm_re=Aorus_x570_Elite-_-13-145-160-_-Product&quicklink=true

G.SKILL Ripjaws F4-3600C16D-32GVKC - $144.99 at NewEgg (on sale from $159.99)
https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-32gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820232907?Item=N82E16820232907

Seasonic USA Focus Plus 650 Watt 80 Plus Gold - $119.99 at MicroCenter (plus $5.99 shipping)
https://www.microcenter.com/product...t-80-plus-gold-atx-fully-modular-power-supply

Total of $963.32 for everything, which is more than my wife wanted me to spend, but under the hard limit of $1000 AND doesn't cut corners on anything like using the old PSU for a while. RAM is on the cheap end, but is the specs that AMD themselves recommend for the 3900X (3600mhz and CL16) and is on the QVL for the motherboard on both G.SKILL and Gigabyte web sites.

Fuma2 is finally available, G.SKILL RAM is on sale and on the QVL and recommended by multiple reviews, Seasonic PSU price has also dropped a little. Seems like I need to get it all ordered before stuff goes back out of stock again.. ;)

Last edited:

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
@Fardringle

Oof. That really sucks.

Look I know it's over budget, but if you must have a board, get this:

It's pretty good, it's in stock, get it before the scalpers buy them out.

Alternatively:

Just be advised that I'm not 100% sold on build quality here. Make sure it has the features you want before you pull the trigger on this one.

Fardringle

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2000
Yup. I waited too long to click the buy button. :(

I hope something comes back in stock soon, just in case one of the other parts needs to be returned. It would really suck missing the return window because I don't have a motherboard..

Fardringle

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2000
Thanks. T've been considering the ASUS TUF X570 as my 2nd choice but it does benchmark a bit lower than the Aorus Elite in some CPU tasks, and that's going to be my primary use for this computer so I'm not 100% sold on the idea of getting it either. Reviews do seem pretty good overall, though, and benchmark scores are within 2-2.5% of the Gigabyte so it's not a huge difference. Sadly, it was already out of stock again by the time I clicked on your link, but it does give me another source to watch for available stock.

This review specifically tests board component temperatures with a very high overclock on a 3900x and seems to indicate very good temperature control under heavy load on the ASUS, which is definitely important for my planned usage.
https://www.kitguru.net/components/...rm-temperature-analysis-luke-deep-dive/all/1/

The G.SKILL RAM on my list is on the QVL for the ASUS board as well, so that's helpful.

Unfortunately, I don't think the Taichi board will fit my needs. It has really good performance and stability reviews, but Tom's says that it uses a LOT more power than other boards when under heavy CPU load and that will significantly increase my power bill over time. :(
https://www.tomshardware.com/review...md-ryzen-3000-am4-atx-motherboard,6217-3.html

Last edited:

Fardringle

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2000
Generally true, but I still like to look to see if there is something unusual in any of the tests, such as that Taichi using almost twice as much power as the other boards in the test while running Prime95. The review says it's because the board automatically increased the CPU voltage a lot while running at 100%, even though the CPU didn't really need it..

Fardringle

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2000
I have a bunch of tabs open watching for the motherboards to come back in stock at BestBuy, BHPhoto, NewEgg, and Amazon. But I have a feeling I'll have to expand my budget in order to find something that will work and isn't constantly out of stock. Or just go with a B450 board and be done with it.

On the bright side, I did snag that Seasonic 650 watt gold PSU from NewEgg for $99, so I have a little more leeway in the budget...

Fardringle

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2000
On a different note, it looks like PBO misbehaving is what caused the excessively high power usage in the Tom's Hardware test, so just leaving that turned off should eliminate the problem, while not really losing much (if any) performance boost. From what I've seen, PBO on the ASUS board does the same thing. So I might go ahead and grab that Taichi board if the Aorus Elite or ASUS TUF boards don't come back in stock soon.

Last edited:

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Generally true, but I still like to look to see if there is something unusual in any of the tests, such as that Taichi using almost twice as much power as the other boards in the test while running Prime95. The review says it's because the board automatically increased the CPU voltage a lot while running at 100%, even though the CPU didn't really need it..

On a different note, it looks like PBO misbehaving is what caused the excessively high power usage in the Tom's Hardware test, so just leaving that turned off should eliminate the problem, while not really losing much (if any) performance boost. From what I've seen, PBO on the ASUS board does the same thing. So I might go ahead and grab that Taichi board if the Aorus Elite or ASUS TUF boards don't come back in stock soon.

PBO is a bit of a mess. It doesn't help that some motherboard OEMs like to ramp up power usage to try to win benchmarks. They usually patch that stupidity out a few UEFI revisions after launch because nobody's benchmarking them at that point. The_Stilt made allusions to Asus boards behaving somewhat this way at the x570 launch, but I don't remember all the details (and he may not have shared all of them).

x570 Taichi is not my favorite board, but it has some good features and appears to be generally reliable. My only concern with it would be maybe the chipset fan. Maybe.

Reactions: Fardringle

Fardringle

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2000
Any other boards in that price range that you recommend I watch for instead of the Taichi?

I need to decide if I'm going to order that G.Skill F4-3600C16D-32GVKC RAM before the sale ends tomorrow, and want to be sure it is on the QVL for any motherboard I'm looking for so I don't end up with RAM that I might not be able to use. It is on the list for the ASUS TUF and Gigabyte Aorus boards, but it is not on the list for the Taichi...

Last edited:

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Any other boards in that price range that you recommend I watch for instead of the Taichi?

I need to decide if I'm going to order that G.Skill F4-3600C16D-32GVKC RAM before the sale ends tomorrow, and want to be sure it is on the QVL for any motherboard I'm looking for so I don't end up with RAM that I might not be able to use. It is on the list for the ASUS TUF and Gigabyte Aorus boards, but it is not on the list for the Taichi...

I would be surprised if it did not work on the Taichi. Anything's possible, but still. Mostly all you're getting is the ability to RMA if for some reason the kit doesn't agree with your IMC. As far as what's available . . . ?

This is available and may have your RAM on the QVL.

Fardringle

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2000
Thank you for the alternate board option. Surprisingly, the G.SKILL ram is not on the QVL for the Aorus Ultra board, even though it IS on the list for the Aorus Elite...

The main reason I'm concerned is because I've read reviews of some people having trouble getting XMP to enable properly if their 3600mhz RAM (not necessarily this one) isn't on the board QVL.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Thank you for the alternate board option. Surprisingly, the G.SKILL ram is not on the QVL for the Aorus Ultra board, even though it IS on the list for the Aorus Elite...

The main reason I'm concerned is because I've read reviews of some people having trouble getting XMP to enable properly if their 3600mhz RAM (not necessarily this one) isn't on the board QVL.

QVL means very little. All it means is that someone at the mobo OEM shop has tested your kit on that board. The Gigabyte Aorus boards have a lot in common with one another. Something that works on the Elite is probably going to work on the Ultra and Master. As a customer, the only thing it really gets you is more RMA options if the product doesn't work.

Fardringle

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2000
I know QVL isn't a guarantee, but it is nice to know that it has at least been tried. However, G.SKILL says that the F4-3600C16D-32GVKC RAM is tested and compatible with the Taichi and the Aorus Ultra, so it should be fine. I was almost hoping they'd say no on one of the boards to make it easier for me to decide.. :)

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002

$133, free shipping 10 year warranty, 80 plus gold certified . What else do you want !!!!

Oh, and it has 2 CPU plugs if your motherboard requires it, a lot do as of late. That 650 does NOT

Also, I see you are having motherboard troubles. My favorite, x570 Taichi, $209 and free shipping and in stock.

Last edited:

Fardringle

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2000
Thanks Mark. I already snagged a good deal on a PSU so I'm set there. Unless you're saying that this PSU won't work? https://www.newegg.com/seasonic-focus-650-gold-ssr-650fm-650w/p/N82E16817151202?Item=N82E16817151202

But your link and price is for the X470 Taichi. An X570 Taichi for that price would be an easy decision, but the X570 is $80 more at $289 from NewEgg. https://www.newegg.com/asrock-x570-taichi/p/N82E16813157883

I'm being wishy-washy about spending the additional for the X570 or waiting for one of the other X570 boards in the $200 range. I have also been looking at the X470 Taichi a bit but haven't seriously researched it yet.

Is the X470 Taichi adequate for a Ryzen 3900X running BOINC 24/7? (Not going to be overclocked much, and probably not at all.)

Last edited:

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Thanks Mark. I already snagged a good deal on a PSU so I'm set there.

But your link and price is for the X470 Taichi. An X570 Taichi for that price would be an easy decision, but the X570 is $80 more at $289 from NewEgg. https://www.newegg.com/asrock-x570-taichi/p/N82E16813157883

I'm being wishy-washy about spending the additional for the X570 or waiting for one of the other X570 boards in the $200 range. I have also been looking at the X470 Taichi a bit but haven't seriously researched it yet.

Is the X470 Taichi adequate for a Ryzen 3900X running BOINC 24/7? (Not going to be overclocked much, and probably not at all.)
I am typing on a 3900x on an x470 Taichi right now. Does your PSU have 2 CPU power connectors ?

Edit: that seasonic 650 does NOT (I said that already)

The motherboard has been Running WCG and now Rosetta 24/7 @100% no problem.

Fardringle

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2000
Thanks for the info on the X470. I don't really need the extra features of X570 so saving some money is nice.

Pretty much every review I've read that actually mentions it, says that the second CPU power connector is not needed except for extreme overclocking. If that's incorrect then I'll need to see if I can cancel the order on the Seasonic since (I believe) it hasn't actually shipped yet. Or if it has shipped I guess I can just try it and see what happens. Edit: Never mind, it's already been shipped. :p

Last edited:

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Thanks for the info on the X470. I don't really need the extra features of X570 so saving some money is nice.

Pretty much every review I've read that actually mentions it, says that the second CPU power connector is not needed except for extreme overclocking. If that's incorrect then I'll need to see if I can cancel the order on the Seasonic since (I believe) it hasn't actually shipped yet. Or if it has shipped I guess I can just try it and see what happens. Edit: Never mind, it's already been shipped. :p
Well, there have been many posts about about it, and especially on a 3900x I would certainly use it.

If you have detailed question on this for DC, check this out. That is a link to the computer.

Edit, and NO I would not use that PSU, it only has one connector. for the CPU 1 x CPU (8/4 pins) - attached\

Edit: use at your own risk, and don't come back saying its a problem, or I will say "I told you so". There is a chance that it will work.

See the specifications.

Last edited:

Fardringle

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2000
I might go ahead and order that other PSU and just return the Seasonic later.

Seems like the G.SKILL RAM I was looking at might not work with the X470 Taichi, though. It isn't on the supported list from G.SKILL or from ASRock. Too bad. It's a really good price.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Hang on. I have used a LOT of different ram on that box, let me go look at your link.

I think I have used the 8 gig version of this stuff in one of my Taichi's. I have put many different kinds in and never had an issue. Just make sure when you up the speed from 2133 to 3200 (or 3466) that you specify 1.35 v on the dram. You may not get 3600, just use the ram, and set it to 3200 or 3466 whichever is the fastest that works.

Edit: you can try 3600. I think it was the CPU (1800x or 2700x) that had a problem getting to 3600. Just keep upping it till it fails, but not beyond spec. My x470 Taichi is on its 3rd CPU, the 3900x.

Edit2: Update the bios before you try to up the ram speed. You may have to , to get the 3900x to boot, but by now they should have it updated to something recent. I have updated mine for all 3 CPU's

Last edited:
Reactions: Fardringle