Partial Federal refund?

paulney

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2003
I just noticed that Feds have wired the refund to may account. The problem is, the amount is vastly different from want TTax calculated. I was expecting $1,991 back, and I see that only $491 was posted. TTax shows no errors. I have not received any correspondence from the IRS either. Does that mean they will post additional funds later, or send me back a corrected 1040?

Thanks.

paulney

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2003
Never mind, I just checked the IRS website, and it says there were mistakes on my filings.
Dammit, Ttax, wtf. Don't they have some kind of guarantee on their software? Let me look it up.

paulney

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2003
I know I'm probably talking to myself here, but the mistake was: 'We changed the amount of the recovery rebate credit you claimed on your tax return.'
Googling shows that this is a very common error on this year's returns due to stimuls checks mailed last year. However, this is purely TTax's mistake since it transferred all the amounts from my last year's return automatically. I'm pissed. I'll let TTax know on Monday.

waffleironhead

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
Looks to me like you incorrectly entered the amount of stimulus check you received last year. Then ttx calculated the amount you should have received and the irs denied it because you already got the full stimulus check.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: paulney
I know I'm probably talking to myself here, but the mistake was: 'We changed the amount of the recovery rebate credit you claimed on your tax return.'
Googling shows that this is a very common error on this year's returns due to stimuls checks mailed last year. However, this is purely TTax's mistake since it transferred all the amounts from my last year's return automatically. I'm pissed. I'll let TTax know on Monday.

That's not information that would have come from last year's tax return. I don't use TurboTax, but TaxCut asked me how I got last year. TurboTax probably did that too, and maybe you didn't understand what it was asking and you entered $0. It's not TurboTax's fault, calling them and complaining isn't going to get you money that unfortunately wasn't yours to begin with.

minendo

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2001
Originally posted by: mugs

That's not information that would have come from last year's tax return. I don't use TurboTax, but TaxCut asked me how I got last year. TurboTax probably did that too, and maybe you didn't understand what it was asking and you entered $0. It's not TurboTax's fault, calling them and complaining isn't going to get you money that unfortunately wasn't yours to begin with.

TurboTax did ask. At least my version of TurboTax asked me and I, too, imported all my information from last year.

duragezic

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: minendo

That's not information that would have come from last year's tax return. I don't use TTax, but TaxCut asked me how I got last year. TTax probably did that too, and maybe you didn't understand what it was asking and you entered $0. It's not TTax's fault, calling them and complaining isn't going to get you money that unfortunately wasn't yours to begin with.

TTax did ask. At least my version of TTax asked me and I, too, imported all my information from last year.
fixed

krylon

Diamond Member
Nov 17, 2001
Originally posted by: minendo

TurboTax did ask. At least my version of TurboTax asked me and I, too, imported all my information from last year.

You still had to manually enter the amount you received from the stimulus.

S Freud

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2005
I used turbo tax and I had to manually enter the amount of the stimulus I received. Got my state earlier this week and federal earlier this month without any problems.

Compton

Platinum Member
Feb 18, 2000
I used turbo tax and I had to manually enter the amount of the stimulus I received.

Turin39789

Lifer
Nov 21, 2000
Originally posted by: Compton
I used turbo tax and I had to manually enter the amount of the stimulus I received.
and it directed me to go to the irs website and double check if I wasn't sure

Old Hippie

Diamond Member
Oct 8, 2005
I used TaxAct to do a friends return and she got an additional 300.00 because of my stimulus entry error.

Somewhere between my screw-up and what the IRS called "a programming error", they added 300.00 to hers.

She already got her stimulus money last year and it doesn't sound right to me.

I'm thinking they might want their money back in a year or two.

sswingle

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2000
Originally posted by: Turin39789
Originally posted by: Compton
and it directed me to go to the irs website and double check if I wasn't sure

Same here.

And FYI, their guarantee is if they calculate something wrong, not if you enter something wrong.

Beev

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2006
Never mind, I just checked the IRS website, and it says there were mistakes on my filings.
Dammit, Ttax, wtf. Don't they have some kind of guarantee on their software? Let me look it up.

What the fuck? They caught your error before you even got the refund? I got a letter in the mail last week that my return from TWO FUCKING YEARS AGO had an error and I now owe the IRS $600.

krylon

Diamond Member
Nov 17, 2001
Originally posted by: Beev

What the fuck? They caught your error before you even got the refund? I got a letter in the mail last week that my return from TWO FUCKING YEARS AGO had an error and I now owe the IRS $600.

Are you surprised?

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Originally posted by: Beev

Your error was due to an audit check.

His was due to a data entry that the IRS is checking for when the returns are initially processed.