Part numbers of CPU's without the meltdown and spectre bugs?

Snowleopard3000

Jan 7, 2018
I am looking to build a new tower soon and want to know if CPU's from Intel or AMD with the physical bugs fixed are available and what part numbers to look for. The last thing I want to do is buy a CPU that has this problem in a new build.

Thank you.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
I think you are out of luck, however from what I know most normal users won't have any problems issues anyway.

Snowleopard3000

Jan 7, 2018
I think you are out of luck, however from what I know most normal users won't have any problems issues anyway.

Ok, The reason I build my machines is for performance. Typically use them for 4k video editing or 100mp Raw files from still camera's so if I get a 30% performance hit on my CPU, for an expensive CPU, that is a serious problem.

scannall

Golden Member
Jan 1, 2012
I am looking to build a new tower soon and want to know if CPU's from Intel or AMD with the physical bugs fixed are available and what part numbers to look for. The last thing I want to do is buy a CPU that has this problem in a new build.

Thank you.
Everyone is susceptible to the Spectre, but the solution to that is fairly light. Meltdown is mostly Intel, older AMD and a few ARM. Ryzen should be fine.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
Ok, The reason I build my machines is for performance. Typically use them for 4k video editing or 100mp Raw files from still camera's so if I get a 30% performance hit on my CPU, for an expensive CPU, that is a serious problem.
Not that I'm a CPU expert, but I think it is mostly servers and data centers that are mostly affected by these issues. Not sure about high end workstations.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I/O supposedly takes a big hit. So something like 4K editiing would also take a hit.

Feb 4, 2009
From my understanding it's just about everything made for the last 20 years excluding very specialized chips for a car or another machine.
It's starting to look like the 30% performance hit will only affect a small number of people doing very specific things however I believe it had to do with image editing.

moinmoin

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2017
Well, this is the list of Intel processors you may want to avoid due to being officially susceptible to Meltdown:
  • Intel® Core™ i3 processor (45nm and 32nm)
  • Intel® Core™ i5 processor (45nm and 32nm)
  • Intel® Core™ i7 processor (45nm and 32nm)
  • Intel® Core™ M processor family (45nm and 32nm)
  • 2nd generation Intel® Core™ processors
  • 3rd generation Intel® Core™ processors
  • 4th generation Intel® Core™ processors
  • 5th generation Intel® Core™ processors
  • 6th generation Intel® Core™ processors
  • 7th generation Intel® Core™ processors
  • 8th generation Intel® Core™ processors
  • Intel® Core™ X-series Processor Family for Intel® X99 platforms
  • Intel® Core™ X-series Processor Family for Intel® X299 platforms
  • Intel® Xeon® processor 3400 series
  • Intel® Xeon® processor 3600 series
  • Intel® Xeon® processor 5500 series
  • Intel® Xeon® processor 5600 series
  • Intel® Xeon® processor 6500 series
  • Intel® Xeon® processor 7500 series
  • Intel® Xeon® Processor E3 Family
  • Intel® Xeon® Processor E3 v2 Family
  • Intel® Xeon® Processor E3 v3 Family
  • Intel® Xeon® Processor E3 v4 Family
  • Intel® Xeon® Processor E3 v5 Family
  • Intel® Xeon® Processor E3 v6 Family
  • Intel® Xeon® Processor E5 Family
  • Intel® Xeon® Processor E5 v2 Family
  • Intel® Xeon® Processor E5 v3 Family
  • Intel® Xeon® Processor E5 v4 Family
  • Intel® Xeon® Processor E7 Family
  • Intel® Xeon® Processor E7 v2 Family
  • Intel® Xeon® Processor E7 v3 Family
  • Intel® Xeon® Processor E7 v4 Family
  • Intel® Xeon® Processor Scalable Family
  • Intel® Xeon Phi™ Processor 3200, 5200, 7200 Series
  • Intel® Atom™ Processor C Series
  • Intel® Atom™ Processor E Series
  • Intel® Atom™ Processor A Series
  • Intel® Atom™ Processor x3 Series
  • Intel® Atom™ Processor Z Series
  • Intel® Celeron® Processor J Series
  • Intel® Celeron® Processor N Series
  • Intel® Pentium® Processor J Series
  • Intel® Pentium® Processor N Series

Spectre on the other hand currently essentially affects everything modern with OoO and speculative execution so you may want to wait until some first processors are released to have fixed the issue in hardware, but that may take years. Software mitigation of Spectre is on a per program/application base.

Snowleopard3000

Jan 7, 2018
Well, this is the list of Intel processors you may want to avoid due to being officially susceptible to Meltdown:

Spectre on the other hand currently essentially affects everything modern with OoO and speculative execution so you may want to wait until some first processors are released to have fixed the issue in hardware, but that may take years. Software mitigation of Spectre is on a per program/application base.

Ok, so "theoretically" this older cpu is safe?

Processors Information
Socket 1 ID = 0
Number of cores 4 (max 4)
Number of threads 8 (max 8)
Name Intel Core i7
Codename Ivy Bridge
Specification Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3840QM CPU @ 2.80GHz
Package (platform ID) Socket 988B rPGA (0x4)
Core Stepping E1/L1
Technology 22 nm
TDP Limit 45.0 Watts

scannall

Golden Member
Jan 1, 2012

Processors Information
Socket 1 ID = 0
Name Intel Core i7
Codename Ivy Bridge
Core Stepping E1/L1
Technology 22 nm
TDP Limit 45.0 Watts
No. Anything Intel newer than P4 from Intel is vulnerable. Excepting Atom's pre 2013.

maddie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2010

Processors Information
Socket 1 ID = 0
Name Intel Core i7
Codename Ivy Bridge
Core Stepping E1/L1
Technology 22 nm
TDP Limit 45.0 Watts
To be brutally frank. There is NO unaffected Intel CPU for you if you want useful performance.

Itchrelief

Golden Member
Dec 20, 2005
Anything from Intel that is currently available has the bug. You have to wait for new chips.

Anything currently available that isn't vulnerable is also not going to be worth building anything around, so either live with it and hope the workarounds aren't too crippling or wait for new chips that haven't been released yet.

AMD looks less affected but not immune.

Mr Evil

Jul 24, 2015
mrevil.asvachin.com
Eben Upton said:
You're not going to be doing serious gaming on those, but they are good enough for a lot of day-to-day use.

Or you could get any AMD CPU and trust them when they say of Spectre (since Meltdown doesn't affect them):
AMD said:

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
To be brutally frank. There is NO unaffected Intel CPU for you if you want useful performance.

Sigh... what do you mean useful performance?
Even with the patches applied, the current gen systems will have more performance then the cpu's that aren't affected from intel.

Do you honestly see what kind of performance hit the NVMe's took?
Even with the performance hit they are still a lot faster then the SATA SSD's, and with the higher clock count on intel on 2 cores, it will still be faster then AMD on editing programs which arent fully multi threaded like older versions of Adobe.

Probably something from before Core era or a variant of early Atom?

forgot the quote

The QX9770 is a 65nm die process original Core cpu.

https://ark.intel.com/products/3444...cessor-QX9770-12M-Cache-3_20-GHz-1600-MHz-FSB

The meltdown/specture says it starts at 45 / 32nm which means it starts at i7 line, where the first cpu released was the glorious Bloomfield, i7 920.

https://ark.intel.com/products/3714...rocessor-8M-Cache-2_66-GHz-4_80-GTs-Intel-QPI

I'm thinking something like a P4 630d

Sigh.... no comment...

OP, honest advice here...
If your going to use a modern 4K editing program which is truely multi threaded, then yea, possibly a ThreadRipper system maybe your best bet, as it will most likely take the least amount of performance hit.

However if your going to use an older editing program which is more based on single threaded, like Adobe Premier, or Photoshop, or gaming, then your still better off on a Coffee Lake system as or even a x299 based system with quad channel DDR4, because of the higher core clock on 2 cores. And if your an avid overclocker, then a Coffeelake System clocked at 5ghz will still tear up ryzen 7 even with the patches installed because a 5ghz 6core coffeelake is not a machine you can laugh at unless u own it and your laughing at how simple it was to get there.

Last edited:

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Think about this logically:

An i7-8700 at 4.5 GHz turbo enduring a 5% penalty because of the OS software fix is still as fast as if it was running at 4.275 GHz.

So just buy the 8700 and get back to work.

If you're afraid about some other possible future exploit, just don't use a browser or download programs from the darkweb on this PC. Get a second mini-PC or Chromebox for web stuff.

You should have a backup strategy for your data even if some day in the future there is some zero-day exploit that lets someone encrypt your hard drive and demand bitcoins. Because you could also lose the disk from hardware failures, theft, fire, flooding, or human error.

Last edited:
Reactions: aigomorla

chrisjames61

Dec 31, 2013
As far as to what if any performance hit you or I will take no one knows. It is all speculation. Everybody, no matter how ill informed seems to have an an opinion on the matter disregarding how little they actually know. The best answer is wait and see. Why spend money and shortly down the road you see that it was an ill advised or non necessary purchase?

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
Without knowing your specific applications or workloads I can't really comment usefully. The biggest impacts so far seem to be for I/O heavy workloads. With mitigation patches of unknown performance impact still outstanding.

If the vast majority of your tasks will scale beyond 8 cores and you can actually make use of that power, then you would want Intel or AMD HEDT platforms (Skylake-X / X299 or Threadripper / X399). If the tasks scale beyond 16 cores or you need official ECC support, then Xeon or Epyc (but If you insist on having a processor that isn't affected at the hardware level by Meltdown, you would have to skip on anything Intel).

If you don't need more than 8 cores, then Coffee Lake (i7-8700 or i7-8700K) on the Intel side, or Ryzen 1800X are your best bets for performance.

In any event, we just don't know the full extent of the performance impacts yet.

bononos

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2011

Get a Ryzen, they are less vulnerable (only Spectre v1), potential performance impacts are said to be negligible and they are easier to fix with software/OS patches needed.
On Intel's side, motherboard bios fixes are needed in addition to OS patches and the performance impact is potentially much higher.

maddie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2010
Sigh... what do you mean useful performance?
Even with the patches applied, the current gen systems will have more performance then the cpu's that aren't affected from intel.

Do you honestly see what kind of performance hit the NVMe's took?
Even with the performance hit they are still a lot faster then the SATA SSD's, and with the higher clock count on intel on 2 cores, it will still be faster then AMD on editing programs which arent fully multi threaded like older versions of Adobe.

The QX9770 is a 65nm die process original Core cpu.

https://ark.intel.com/products/3444...cessor-QX9770-12M-Cache-3_20-GHz-1600-MHz-FSB

The meltdown/specture says it starts at 45 / 32nm which means it starts at i7 line, where the first cpu released was the glorious Bloomfield, i7 920.

https://ark.intel.com/products/3714...rocessor-8M-Cache-2_66-GHz-4_80-GTs-Intel-QPI

Sigh.... no comment...

OP, honest advice here...
If your going to use a modern 4K editing program which is truely multi threaded, then yea, possibly a ThreadRipper system maybe your best bet, as it will most likely take the least amount of performance hit.

However if your going to use an older editing program which is more based on single threaded, like Adobe Premier, or Photoshop, or gaming, then your still better off on a Coffee Lake system as or even a x299 based system with quad channel DDR4, because of the higher core clock on 2 cores. And if your an avid overclocker, then a Coffeelake System clocked at 5ghz will still tear up ryzen 7 even with the patches installed because a 5ghz 6core coffeelake is not a machine you can laugh at unless u own it and your laughing at how simple it was to get there.
Reading the OP is important.

"I am looking to build a new tower soon and want to know if CPU's from Intel or AMD with the physical bugs fixed are available and what part numbers to look for."

I'm fairly certain that NO Intel CPU will have the physical flaws fixed, except for low performance ones. Software fixes for the next few years.

Reactions: PingSpike