Part 2: VGA led constantly on with ASUS z270f new build - help!

rednashm

Jan 16, 2017
*****This is me reporting back since last time posting, the other post went something like this. Big difference now is that it's a new motherboard, and it's a new set of RAM sticks - which makes it all the more tough. No change since changing the parts even running through all the steps.*****

So I am about to give up on everything with this NEW build that seems to just quit on me.

So I decided to built a new PC around the holidays, and had been lurking multiple forums for 2 months prior to it. I felt I had a good built going, but was surprised to learn that I didn't. I have a list of problems, and I will go through them one-by-one as well as the solutions that I have tried.

My rig:
PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/FpkpVY
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/FpkpVY/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Liquid Freezer 240 74.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus STRIX Z270F ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory
Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Video Card
Power Supply: Corsair RMx 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Tempered Glass (Black) ATX Full Tower Case
Case Fan: Noctua NF-A14 FLX 68.0 CFM 140mm Fan
Case Fan: Noctua NF-A14 FLX 68.0 CFM 140mm Fan
Case Fan: Phanteks PH-F140SP_BK 82.1 CFM 140mm Fan
Case Fan: Phanteks PH-F140SP_BK 82.1 CFM 140mm Fan
Monitor: BenQ XL2411Z 24.0" 1920x1080 144Hz Monitor
Monitor: AOC G2460VQ6 24.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor

So, let's go straight to the problem.

I have successfully installed everything, and at the beginning had luck booting into a BIOS. I will not bore you with the problem I used to face, ranging from BSOD (WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR etc) to difficulties with installing my OS.

Right now I am facing a problem that seems to be recurring for many. When I boot, I get 2 beeps (with or without an external speaker inserted, so I am assuming the motherboard has one built in). Based on the manual, it says I have to flash my BIOS by inserting my support disc (CrashFree - Asus calls it - has not worked) and my onboard LED's light in this exact order.

- CPU led for a split second
- DRAM led for 2-5 seconds
- VGA led constantly

and a permanent black screen is left for me.

This is what I have tried:

- Resetting CMOS (both by inserting jumpercap onto the 2-pin, and also removing the mobo battery (for a short and long period of time)
- Removing power cable, and holding the power button for 1-2 minutes.
- Reassuring every cable is tightly fit, and that every thing is connected.
- Tried unplugging every SATA and peripheral cable to ensure the CPU or PSU isn't overloaded.
- Tried going with both my GFX as well as the onboard graphics with all of the methods above being tried as well. Tried DVI, HDMI, DP on 2 different monitors - no results. I have tried with the graphics card in all of the slots.
- Tried both RAM sticks, individually in all slots each and together in both configurations.
- Checked under the CPU to see if any pins were bent - none were.
- Made sure every fan as well as the HS worked properly.

I will provide pictures if need be, and any and all assistance I can get is greatly appreciated. I am at a somewhat desperate state of mind right now. My last resort is to send it to service center, which I fear won't yield very much.

Additional info:
The Kingston SSD was ported from an old built and is therefore used. The GTX 1070 is 4 months old. Anything else as far as hardware-components go are brand new.

This will be posted on other forums as well. I appreciate all the help you can provide.

rednashm

Jan 16, 2017
Call Asus support,
Hey!

I have live chatted with them a couple of times. Their last suspicion was that the RAM might be faulty, which is why I came to RMA it. The motherboard is RMA'd too, and on the 2nd z270f. Would they be able to do anything at that point?

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
Is the new board the same model as the one you had? You might want to at least link us to your old thread since you are starting a new one.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
You said a new motherboard and a new set of RAM sticks, but I really don't see a change from the original thread. Are they the same model?

One thing that can get you is memory compatibility. It may be time to bite the bullet and get a model that is listed on the motherboard compatibility page. It may be there, but so far I haven't seen you list an exact RAM model number.

I also don't think it's a good idea to have gone this far without a working computer and still be on water. Let's get it running on a cheap air cooler, then we can make the move to water.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-LGA11...467039?hash=item2829a6769f:g:6QYAAOSw241YhXS8

rednashm

Jan 16, 2017
You said a new motherboard and a new set of RAM sticks, but I really don't see a change from the original thread. Are they the same model?

One thing that can get you is memory compatibility. It may be time to bite the bullet and get a model that is listed on the motherboard compatibility page. It may be there, but so far I haven't seen you list an exact RAM model number.

I also don't think it's a good idea to have gone this far without a working computer and still be on water. Let's get it running on a cheap air cooler, then we can make the move to water.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-LGA11...467039?hash=item2829a6769f:g:6QYAAOSw241YhXS8

In terms of the RAM and the motherboard, the motherboard is the same model, just a new product, the RAM is a different model (3000 MHz instead of 3200 MHz, which makes it compatible on the list). CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 is the RAM number.

I understand your reasoning, and I did that at one point, moved from this water cooler to a Noctua NH-D9L air cooler with no different result.

I was in livechat with ASUS for a little over an hour, and he ruled out flashing the bios, and was skeptical towards the motherboard being faulty - although he says in super rare cases, the same issue can occur on a new motherboard (even if it's the same model). He was hesitant to say that it was the CPU seeing as it wasn't indicated during POST, and that the problem is the motherboard not detecting a display (hence the VGA led). His suggestion was to breadboard whilst clearing CMOS for every part added.

Right now I have the motherboard connected to the front panel (USB), HD audio, 1 RAM stick, the CPU, the CPU heatsink, no SATA's, no GPU and all cables are securely fastened.

rednashm

Jan 16, 2017
No, not with the new components - would that help and/or differ from the other things apart from the front panel connectors?

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
A short is on my mind now - from the motherboard connection to the case, to the USB connection to the board, to the power switch connection to the board. I have seen at least the last two in various computers and they result in some wacky behavior.

rednashm

Jan 16, 2017
A short is on my mind now - from the motherboard connection to the case, to the USB connection to the board, to the power switch connection to the board. I have seen at least the last two in various computers and they result in some wacky behavior.
I will give that a try tomorrow morning and report back.

rednashm

Jan 16, 2017

In the event that it still won't boot, can I safely assume that the problem is either the PSU or the CPU? If not that, then I practically got a new computer with the same starting issues as the former one had a little later on.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
From what I can determine through these threads, I would agree. PSU first, followed by CPU, once the case and grounding issues are ruled out.

rednashm

Jan 16, 2017
From what I can determine through these threads, I would agree. PSU first, followed by CPU, once the case and grounding issues are ruled out.
Reporting back now, tried booting it outside of the case with an air cooler (just to be sure), and the same POST sequence happens - any ideas?

Also: Now that it is out of the case, it beeps when no memory is inserted, but doesn't when memory is inserted - regardless of the slot or stick.

Last edited:

rednashm

Jan 16, 2017
I'll post a video if it helps? Same LED sequence.
When no memory is there, it beeps once (long) and then 2 short beeps. When memory is there (single or dual stick, tried in all configurations), no beep is there, but the PSU (starts until zero rpm mode activates), the CPU heatsink and the lights are on.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
And maybe you already knew this, but here is a list:
https://www.asus.com/us/support/FAQ/1029959/

No beeps is major. Considering the CPU hasn't been replaced yet, you may be to that point. I suppose there is always the call to Asus again, lol.

And it probably doesn't need to be said, but I am going to type it anyway: make sure you aren't forgetting any of the auxiliary power connectors on the board. I also hope you are trying it with and without the video card.

Reactions: rednashm

rednashm

Jan 16, 2017
Do you need a video? I have that list memorised at this point by the way, haha. I even went to this: http://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1029953/.

I've been on several live support chats with ASUS by now, and it seems that they are suspecting the CPU or the PSU (can't accurately determine), but one of them brought up an interesting point. So on the previous board, I updated the BIOS, and he mentioned that the CPU I have (brought over from the other board, but still fairly new) could mean that the current motherboard has an outdated BIOS, and he suggested that I updated the BIOS with a 6th gen CPU in order for it to be compatible with this 7th gen. I argued that it should be compatible out-of-the-box with the 7th gen. What's your opinion on this?

No beeps is major. Considering the CPU hasn't been replaced yet, you may be to that point. I suppose there is always the call to Asus again, lol.

And it probably doesn't need to be said, but I am going to type it anyway: make sure you aren't forgetting any of the auxiliary power connectors on the board. I also hope you are trying it with and without the video card.

Do you think it might be time to RMA the CPU? If that doesn't work, I don't know what I'm supposed to do, since I basically have a new PC (again, lol). We can rule out any shorts coming from the case by now, right? Since it doesn't work with breadboarding I can safely insert the parts again, right?

rednashm

Jan 16, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmmftS882Hw Here is the video. Alternate link: http://streamable.com/xkac5

Last edited:

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
If it were me, I would run somewhere local and get a good, returnable power supply just to rule that out. Once a replacement power supply does the same thing, gotta be the cpu.

As far as the BIOS, there are different schools of thought here. But generally with Intel, since they chance sockets so often, any chip that fits the socket will boot, but some of the features may not work right without a BIOS update. That's my conclusion anyway.

rednashm

Jan 16, 2017
I'm getting a spare CPU from a friend within the next day or two, and will report back. So if it still doesn't work, I RMA the CPU - yea? I appreciate your help so far!

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
As far as the BIOS, there are different schools of thought here. But generally with Intel, since they chance sockets so often, any chip that fits the socket will boot, but some of the features may not work right without a BIOS update. That's my conclusion anyway.

I don't think that's true. I tried upgrading my second ASRock DeskMini (my older one), to a G4600 KBL CPU, and after it didn't boot, I realized that I hadn't updated the firmware, so I had to throw the G4400 SKL CPU in to flash the BIOS, then the G4600 worked.

rednashm

Jan 16, 2017
I don't think that's true. I tried upgrading my second ASRock DeskMini (my older one), to a G4600 KBL CPU, and after it didn't boot, I realized that I hadn't updated the firmware, so I had to throw the G4400 SKL CPU in to flash the BIOS, then the G4600 worked.
What was the problem during the POST exactly? And since it seems (afaiu) that you're insinuating that the CPU operates on another firmware than the motherboard's stock firmware, which would require another CPU to upgrade it, in order for the other CPU to work again - wouldn't it just be easier to get a new CPU (the old one RMA'd) so that it operates on a new platform? At that point the only thing (still new) carried over from the old built is the PSU - which still hasn't been ruled out as the problem, yet.

I hope I make sense in saying this - I appreciate you chiming in.