Parking ticket trouble

Feb 19, 2001
Over a year ago I moved into my apartment which is located on a main street. The management told us they bought out the street meters for the day so we could move in. So as we got there, I asked the management office if we could get the permit so we could park in the meter zone for the day. They said that they ran out becuase people weren't returning their permits, but we should just park there for now and check back.

I checked back twice, and there were still no more permits.

I think after I was finished, I saw something on my windshield, except I was already driving. My parents didnt know what it was either, but just as we wondered if it was a ticket, it flew off.

Ok, so normally when you get a ticket, you also get a notice in the mail, so we figured if it was really a ticket, we would get a notice. Plus, it was a GREEN thing and AFAIK Berkeley parking tickets are white + white envelope. This was Aug 22, 2005.

No notice, nothing.

Yesterday my mom called to yell saying there was a parking ticket thing in the mail. It wasn't the notice about the ticket, but rather a receipt saying we paid $133. $133 parking ticket? I thought tickets were $35 here (I've gotten a ticket before). Odd. It turns out it was an outstanding parking ticket I guess that carried over and turned into $133. What's even more interesting is that I guess it was factored into my mom's registration renewall because she said she just paid that a few weeks ago and the date for the receipt of the ticket looks about right (she usually odesn't check the reg. fees, so she probably didnt notice it was $133 more). We confirmed the date to be Aug 22, 2005, so I'm pretty sure I did end up getting a citation that day.

My plan 1 year ago was that if we did get the notice, we would talk to the management of the apartment and see if they could help us out in our ticket appeal because after all they did buy the meters out for private parking and it's their fault for running out of permits.

Now it's 1 year later, and sure while my parents don't really care, but I'm a cheap@$$ and I feel that I deserve $133 back.

Dunno...

I guess my plan would be to call the DMV or Berkeley parking and request a copy of the ticket because I obviously never received a notice at all, and then take meter # and date and correspond it to the date that the apartment management bought out the range of meters and possibly get the fine reversed?

What's worse is I already moved out and we had our last dealing with management a few days ago and my old roommate is now complaining about excessive cleaning charges... MAybe they'll tell me to fvck off...

Baked

Lifer
Dec 28, 2004
Tough. You believed the apt management's BS and got a ticket for not feeding the meter. You didn't follow up on the ticket and got penalized. Lesson learned. Move on.

Feb 19, 2001
Originally posted by: Baked
Tough. You believed the apt management's BS and got a ticket for not feeding the meter. You didn't follow up on the ticket and got penalized. Lesson learned. Move on.

Umm they sent out emails to everyone saying the meters are bought out, which they were. They had signs saying it was private parking. You don't need to pay the meter, you just need the permit to show you are able to park there because the meters are bought out.... and they ran out of permits for me..

I didn't follow up on the ticket? I called. I gave my plates out. I asked, and they said not to worry and that a notice woudl come in the mail.

I never got a notice in the mail. How do you think I'm surprised today? I didn't do anything wrong.