Parents in Canada are blaming their children's illnesses on Wi-Fi in schools

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
Same type of idiots that are protesting all the wind turbines being put in place around here....

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
I've never been to Windsor, but I used to Summer near Thunder Bay and the few times we had to go into the city it sucked.

KT

meltdown75

Lifer
Nov 17, 2004
i didn't mind Thunder Bay. then again i went there when i was 15 or something. also i'm not a hater like everyone here. you get older and places that used to be boring aren't really all that boring anymore. there's stuff to see and do around there, for sure.

mount McKay
sleeping giant
kakabeka falls
terry fox monument

etc

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
By your logic, just seeing colors should fry you.

You know, because of all that EM radiation.
And the visible spectrum's frequency is in the range of a few hundred terahertz. TERAHERTZ!!!
Death is surely upon us!

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
i didn't mind Thunder Bay. then again i went there when i was 15 or something. also i'm not a hater like everyone here. you get older and places that used to be boring aren't really all that boring anymore. there's stuff to see and do around there, for sure.

mount McKay
sleeping giant
kakabeka falls
terry fox monument

etc

Outside the city was fine, that's where I was. It was in the city...D:

KT

meltdown75

Lifer
Nov 17, 2004
Outside the city was fine, that's where I was. It was in the city...D:

KT

heh... yeah... i was @ the age where all i was interested in was arcades. not too sure there was one. now they're REALLY tough to find! around here anyway.

Gibson486

Lifer
Aug 9, 2000
LOL...it's a school district. You think they have the actual money to invest in an antenna that can omit that much power?

Stop using the "I am a consultant BS". Guess what, I am too and I also do wireless systems also. Being in this industry, I can tell you this...a consultant only knows as much as to make him look like an expert to his client. You are pretty much proving it now.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
heh... yeah... i was @ the age where all i was interested in was arcades. not too sure there was one. now they're REALLY tough to find! around here anyway.

There is one on my way home from work. I stop in there on my way home to play Street Fighter every once in a while. :awe:

KT

Paperdoc

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2006
Just want to point out that, although this story does come from a Canadian situation, it is NOT typical of Canadian thinking. The same occasional fears pop up in many places and countries.

Just to add a note of balance, though, the fundamental question has not been answered, because we do not have enough information. That question is: given very long-term constant exposure to low levels of electromagnetic signals in the 1 to 3 GHz region, will the incidence of ANY health problems in the general population be increased? And, by how much - enough to make tighter limits necessary? So far the increase in incidence has been so small as to be hard or impossible to detect, and the length of time of continuous exposure has been too short to answer the root question. That does not mean we eliminate the purported cause of these possible-but-not-proven problems. In the meantime there ARE limits on the power level of wireless network transceivers and cell phones, based on some compromise between known hazards for short-term exposure (modified by some safety factor to anticipate long-term exposure) and technical requirements for the technology to serve its intended purpose.

Wyndru

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2009
The librarians at our school googled "wifi cancer" one day after a teacher asked them too. None of them want to have their desks near an access point now.

Matthiasa

Diamond Member
May 4, 2009
I recall a study that placed a cellphone near mice, some that were healthy and some with dementia, with end result being improved cognitive skills for all of them

If that is then the case all those children should be like geniuses and the parents should be more then appreciative of that. :p

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
effing hilarious. blame wifi and waste time not looking for the real cause

It's funny too because if its like most schools its probably full of asbestos and water damage induced black mold.

Anyway, the symptoms can easily be explained by the fact school sucks and the bodies of the students were rejecting it.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Ya know, the funny thing is, the installation of the Wi-Fi may have stirred up/uncovered mold and mildew causing all these symptoms.

Hysteria is just fucking stupid.

oddyager

Diamond Member
May 21, 2005
Ya know, the funny thing is, the installation of the Wi-Fi may have stirred up/uncovered mold and mildew causing all these symptoms.

I'm betting this is exactly what happened.

AnonymouseUser

Diamond Member
May 14, 2003

I'm betting this is exactly what happened.

How, exactly, does installing a few boxes in random areas and plugging them into a power source "stir up" or "uncover" mold/mildew? It's not like wired networking where you have to run wires through the ceiling or walls...

Demon-Xanth

Lifer
Feb 15, 2000
How, exactly, does installing a few boxes in random areas and plugging them into a power source "stir up" or "uncover" mold/mildew? It's not like wired networking where you have to run wires through the ceiling or walls...

Easy:
Some wifi is done by wiring antennas and mounting them to walls. The equipment may be a good distance away from the source.