Parent accidentally shoots son in parking lot

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

OverVolt

Lifer
Aug 31, 2002
Actually... Gordon Moore was interested in Chemistry because he liked to make his own TNT and nitro and play with it.

Then he went on to make silicon transistors, so.... everyone who plays with TNT is a terrorist?

Moore was a chemist by training, and explained that he got into chemistry
originally as a child because a neighbor got a chemistry set -- "they had
good stuff in them in those days!" -- and quickly became skilled at blowing
things up. He made nitroglycerin, which he would detonate by putting a
drop on a piece of filter paper and striking it with a hammer on an iron
anvil. This made a very sharp crack, and would leave his ears ringing for
an hour or two. Moore explained that this damaged his hearing, and led to
his later relying on a hearing aid. This was around Redwood City,
California, where his father was a deputy sheriff. At one point, officials
found a collection of tools somewhere that looked like they were for
cracking open safes, and a little bottle of yellowish liquid, which had them
concerned. As Moore told it, his father called him in on the case (he was
still an adolescent) and he tested a drop of the liquid with his
filter-paper technique, and it blew. The deputies were then worried about
how to dispose of the nitro, but Moore stepped forward eagerly -- "I'll take
care of that." (He held up both hands to us, in the proud sign of the
successful explosives hobbyist: All digits present.) They also made
rockets, he said, but good rockets were difficult -- "it was much easier to
blow things up."

Later at Cal Tech when he was a grad student in chemistry, someone did a
survey and found that 80% of the Chem grad students got into it via
fireworks and explosives. Amazing!

And we wonder why the core sciences in 2012 are stale HMMMMMMMMMM. Maybe because we dissuade the ones who are genuinely interested in the subject. Whats in a Chemistry set these days, salt and water, add salt to the water and watch it dissolve? hahahahha....

Last edited:

RampantAndroid

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2004
1: Check the chamber
2: Don't carry with a round in there
3: Don't EVER grab the trigger
4: Where the !@#$ was the safety?

No excuse for that to ever happen.

None of these are the problem. I carry chambered ALL THE TIME. But the point is, this is so vague it sounds like he was playing with the gun.

Theway to prevent this from happening...are 4 simple rules:
Treat guns as if they are loaded, all the time
Only point at things you're willing to kill or destroy
Always be aware of your target and backstop
Only put finger on trigger when on target. Off target, off trigger.

shira

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2005
Here you go chump.

"Two killed at alleged Washington pot house on first day of legal weed"

http://www.latimes.com/news/nation/...washington-pot-house-20121208,0,5128410.story

Evil robbers were trying to victimize this poor drug dealing father and he killed them both!

I repeat: None of us on ATPN "knows" anyone who's successfully defended themselves with a gun. You don't know this marijuana-dealing father; you just read a news story about him.

You gun nuts just don't get it: If there are a million people a year successfully defending themselves with guns, then stories like these should be coming out of the woodwork. They're not. And when they do happen, they make the papers. Because they're RARE.

Edit: Oh wait. You're going to argue that drug gangs engaged in turf wars successfully "defend" themselves all the time with guns.

Great argument.

Last edited:

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
I repeat: None of us on ATPN "knows" anyone who's successfully defended themselves with a gun. You don't know this marijuana-dealing father; you just read a news story about him.

You gun nuts just don't get it: If there are a million people a year successfully defending themselves with guns, then stories like these should be coming out of the woodwork. They're not. And when they do happen, they make the papers. Because they're RARE.

Edit: Oh wait. You're going to argue that drug gangs engaged in turf wars successfully "defend" themselves all the time with guns.

Great argument.

You didn't read my post did you? One of my close friends ran-off a would-be burglar with his revolver, caught him breaking through his window. Never fired a shot.

One of my other friends from high school also had his apartment robbed, with him in it. He had no gun at the time. He was tied up at knifepoint while they ransacked the place. Guess what he bought soon after.

Now I'll admit that the million self-defense-with-gun/year figure is probably exaggerated, but it does happen, and the fact that you don't know anyone, or even know anyone who knows anyone who's been in such a situation means nothing.

To put it in perspective, if you calculate the number of people murdered by guns every year, it comes out to 0.00283% of the population and falling (source: FBI Uniform Crime Reports). Then consider that people successfully defending themselves with guns likely happen just as often or less often. So you likely have a less than 0.00283% chance of encountering someone who's defended themselves with a gun, and you have a 0.00283% chance of knowing someone who was murdered by a gun. Maybe even less when community/socio-economic factors are taken into account.

So congrats, you win with 99.99717% odds in your favor. You've proved a lot!

Last edited:

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007

So now you know everyone here and what they know? What a fucking idiot. As a matter of I do know someone that has successfully defended themselves with a gun, my father chase out a burglar with a shotgun. Hmmm, oh yea, I defended myself with a gun when I got shot, only reason I am still alive. Why would you even say something so fucking stupid?

Actually, if you pulled your head out of your ass, you'd see, there actually are quite a few stories of people successfully using firearms to defend themselves.

What a dumb shit.

Last edited:

Puddle Jumper

Platinum Member
Nov 4, 2009

Great argument.

One of my friends held a guy who broke into his house at gunpoint until the cops arrived. Another acquaintance scared off some guys who were trying to beak into his storage building when he trained the laser sight on his AR-15 on them.

Mursilis

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2001
I repeat: None of us on ATPN "knows" anyone who's successfully defended themselves with a gun.

I expected better than this from you. When you stop being emotional, you'll know that there's no way you can be sure of what you said, but you said it anyway. Dumb.

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
None of these are the problem. I carry chambered ALL THE TIME. But the point is, this is so vague it sounds like he was playing with the gun.

Yeah, but you make it a point to do that so you *know* that your weapon is chambered.

This guy had no idea if there was a round in the chamber or not, because he didn't bother to check.

Negligent ass who deserves to be put away for as long as the law will allow.

Gerle

Aug 9, 2009
It wouldn't make a difference if there was a round in the chamber if he followed the safety rules.

RampantAndroid

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2004
Yeah, but you make it a point to do that so you *know* that your weapon is chambered.

This guy had no idea if there was a round in the chamber or not, because he didn't bother to check.

Negligent ass who deserves to be put away for as long as the law will allow.

Yeah, agreed. You pick up a gun, you need to realize it's capable of killing. If you cannot grasp the gravity of that, don't touch them.

It wouldn't make a difference if there was a round in the chamber if he followed the safety rules.

Completely agreed. I've inadvertently pointed at a friend when working on a gun, either cleaning, or doing actual work on it...but it's ALWAYS been cleared, cleared again, double and triple checked...and when I realize what I just did, I quickly point it away.

So now you know everyone here and what they know? What a fucking idiot. As a matter of I do know someone that has successfully defended themselves with a gun, my father chase out a burglar with a shotgun. Hmmm, oh yea, I defended myself with a gun when I got shot, only reason I am still alive. Why would you even say something so fucking stupid?

Actually, if you pulled your head out of your ass, you'd see, there actually are quite a few stories of people successfully using firearms to defend themselves.

What a dumb shit.

There's plenty of statistics out there on the number of lives saved by guns, and many more undocumented - a simple action like reaching for the holster, putting your hand on the gun but not pulling, while putting your other hand up (as in, making the sign for them to stop) and saying something like "I am in fear of my life, stop or I will shoot" is a great deterrent, when possible. It can stop something before it gets nasty, with no shots required.