Parallelminer getting cheap on the IX2, 10x disc less $175

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I don't have a NAS. What am I missing?
A LOT. A central repository for data, which is especially helpful if you have MULTIPLE PCs and/or laptops and/or cell phones (some NAS units have "apps" to load on a smartphone), as most people do these days.

You can also store movies and music on them, and use DLNA and Plex and stuff to play back media files on your smart TV or Roku. (Well, most modern NAS units can do that, I don't know if these IX2-DL are new enough. Have to double-check the firmware features, I think that they have some sort of media-server functionality.)

I use macrium reflect and make a drive image about once a month. I use 2.5 inch drives in external cases. Not the best and fastest, but so far they work OK. Takes less than 10 min.
Would you like to make that (mostly *) effortless? Macrium Reflect Free, can do "Live" (while still in Windows, at least for 10, and probably 7 and 8/8.1 too) system image backups, which can be used (in conjunction with a USB bootable "recovery stick" that you can make in Macrium Reflect) to do "bare metal restores" to get everything back up and running smoothly. Over a network, daily, weekly, monthly, whatever, using their built-in Scheduler, to a NAS that stores the backups.

So once that is set up, and check the logs once in a while to make sure that it's still backing up, you can have that weekly / monthly backup be "effortless" (mostly *).

Also, while it is not a "backup" in itself, if you set up two identical model drives in a "RAID-1 mirror", then even if one of the drives eventually dies, you (in theory) shouldn't lose your data, because it will be on the (other mirror drive), and then you can just replace the failed drive, and it will re-mirror. (RAID for for uptime and redundancy, NOT a backup in itself.)

I don't have super fast network.

What is the advantage of these expensive NAS systems? Are they only for backing up huge amounts of data, like bunches of movies or game stuff?
Most PC motherboards made in the last 10-15, maybe even 20 now, years, have 1Gigabit ethernet ports. Newer motherboards (B550, X570, x470 on Intel) have 2.5Gbit/sec or higher ethernet ports (most of them, above $150).

You DONT need a "super fast" internet connection, really, to use a NAS. You'll be backing up your files over the local LAN, which shouldn't (in theory) ever leave your local router.

(These IX2-DL, even with fast drives, are limited by their CPUs and RAM amounts, to only be able to sustain maybe 80MB/sec transfers, whereas a slightly newer or more powerful NAS, can handle 114MB/sec read and write over 1Gig ethernet, and even newest (current) NAS units with 2.5Gbit/sec ports, can do 278MB/sec read, and like 180MB/sec write.)

(*) When I say "mostly effortless", sometimes my NAS (which has a "sleep mode") takes too long to spin up, or something, and I get errors in my Macrium logfiles, that my daily backup didn't go through as planned. So in my case, it helps to check the logs. Secondarily, Macrium has updates every once in a while, that you need to keep abreast of, so, basic updating / software maintenance is required, as with many major programs. Also, when Macrium Reflect Free (program) updates, you MAY want / need to update and re-make the "recovery USB", which is some additional time spent for every (program) update. However, this may not be strictly necessary.

Edit: One final point, if you are the type of person (with multiple PCs and laptops), that likes to have a somewhat-large "file stash area" on EACH PC, that is going to cost you $$$ for larger HDDs on EACH PC, whereas, with a centralized NAS unit, you can buy (large-ish) HDDs more or less once (or twice, for a dual-bay unit), and then utilize those larger HDDs in the NAS with "mapped drives" for each PC. (Your own personal "cloud storage provider".) Thus potentially (depending on the number of PCs, and how the numbers work out) actually saving a certain amount of money, on extra "data storage" HDDs for each PC.

(Though, once you go NAS, and get "hooked on storage", the sky's the limit on spending possibilities for extra/larger/more-redundant storage. I recommend this IX2-DL 2-bay Lenovo/EMC NAS unit as a "gateway drug" to the "world of NAS/data-storage".)

Bottom line, though, is I find a centralized NAS storage unit, is much easier to manage, than juggling lots of little 2.5" Portable External HDDs. But to be fair, I also use those to "backup the NAS" (remember when I said the sky's the limit on spending for storage? Don't forget to now "backup the NAS" regularly to Cold Backups, too). (Or get multiple NAS units, and have them replicate your data between them.)

Last edited:

compcons

Platinum Member
Oct 22, 2004
I was considering picking these up but I already have a pair of synology 4 drives devices and a 4 drive xpenology running on a dedicated esxi server. I really don't need more storage but playing with the os could be fun for Ike a day. They had some 4 bay units that were a decent price too.

I am too lazy to buy to resell as I gave that gig up a long time ago.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
@Jimminy : Why should you buy THIS ("IX2-DL") NAS unit? Well, it's basically mostly fully-featured, not top-tier performance (and it will "soft clip" SATA6G drives down to SATA3G, in case you're wondering, using a "device overlay" on the drives), but mostly, because the "cost of entry" on these ("EOL") units is CHEAP, CHEAP, CHEAP. And from my experience dealing with a pair of them for the last 3 years, they WORK. Maybe not the fastest, but for me, at least, they've always been pretty dang reliable at what they DO do.

Plus, if you've ever wanted a "Torrent Slave" to download Linux ISOs in the background, without tying up your main PC with that stuff, these are good for that, too. (*)

(*) Now that I think about it, that might have been an "optional package install". And I don't know if I have that downloaded somewhere. I HOPE that it's in my piles of data from the last 3 years, but I'm not 100% sure. Would hate to lose that feature. :(

Jimminy

May 19, 2020
Sounds like a good deal for folks that need a bunch of them like re-sellers.

I couldn't see in their listing whether these use 3.5" or 2.5" drives, but guessing 3.5".

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Yes, they use more-or-less standard 3.5" desktop HDDs. (Preferably "NAS-specific" models, but most desktop models SHOULD, in theory, work OK. Avoid SMR / shingled drives.)

mikeford

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2001
Single units of the little 2 drive IX2 disk less is I think still about $59 with free shipping, that might get a little cheaper for BF etc, it was as cheap as $34 at the start. That is just crazy cheap for what you get, its a Intel atom powered pc set up for NAS and reasonably low power and reliable. The choice in my thinking is between one of these and 2x refurb 4TB for a total of about $180, vs a USB external with a single 8TB drive for about the same cost. Slightly different practical end uses, and I may actually end up getting both.

Biggest temptation for me is to buy another PX4-400d, and like another person has done, put my own installation of Linux on it for more flexibility and functions.

BenJeremy

Oct 31, 2004
So I got my two lots in today. "OEM" packaging.... heh. Each lot came with a 1TB drive. I assume the "diskless" unit needs to be seeded with a drive that has the basic software already installed? This complicates my plan to flip these as diskless units. When I have time later today, I plan on setting one up, going through the motions, to see what I need to send out and document to flip some of these.

The boxes were, indeed, 16"x16"x16"... units were bubble wrapped. Power supplies and 1TB drive in their own box, drive holders in another box. No manuals.

Seeing how this will all work... I dropped an 80GB drive in with one of the included 1TB drives. Everything booted up, I cleared off the 80GB drive, and it should, in theory, have the firmware copied on to it. Booting with a blank 250GB drive, the unit still has not started up, but isn't indicating an error status. I have some drives around here, and I wanted to get into a routine of how another person would be able to use these units and get the firmware copied onto several drives.

Last edited:

mikeford

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2001
I bought my first IX2-DL from Tiger 5 years ago, and I don't recall any issues putting in two of my own new WD drives. What may be missing is area of Lenovo support that used to talk to DL units for the initial install? Most recent unit was a 2x 1TB drive, but they have been selling DL units so I wonder what is the issue. Maybe if you are running a PC with the EMC software running it will do the init?

I don't see the PM people pulling new units out of the boxes to save some space on shipping or something, so "maybe" these were returns at some point in there lives? More potential for headaches if you sell them DL, then offering free setup with their drives or something.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I don't see the PM people pulling new units out of the boxes to save some space on shipping or something, so "maybe" these were returns at some point in there lives? More potential for headaches if you sell them DL, then offering free setup with their drives or something.
I thought that they were listed as "New". Maybe I'll have to go and review.

I got my 1200W Platinum Seasonic PSU just a little bit ago, but I didn't get my 16"x16"x16" box yet, if you know what I mean. Shipped same carrier, supposed to arrive on the same day. Tracking shows that it wasn't delivered yet either. Weird. Maybe it's on a different truck.

mikeford

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2001
Part of the appeal to me is that PM is a 30 min drive from me, and not that unpleasant of a drive. ;)
With free shipping I've gotten most things next day, but distance a plus if a problem comes up.

The pictures look new, maybe open box etc. No point in my guessing more, no reason for Lenovo to hold back anything they had in the warehouses and these were sold for what, about 8 years?

BenJeremy

Oct 31, 2004
These units seem to be new... they have the plastic film on the boxes. I think they were just repackaged for shipping. I did get this to boot up with just the 80GB drive (error at first, because of missing other drive, but eventually status OK). Now I will try and clone the firmware from the 80GB drive to a 250GB drive.

Eventually, I will test the process to set up a 2x3TB unit and a 2x2TB unit.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
This is interesting. I just got my 16"x16"x16" box. It was actually packed very well, TBH. Each NAS was double-wrapped in bubble-wrap, and arranged nicely in the box. Kudos to PM for their packaging job.

That said, the first unit off of the top that I grabbed, and opened, says, "Iomega StorCenter", on it. My retail-box purchased units say "Lenovo IX2-DL" on the front, and do NOT have "iomega" embossed into the side of the unit's casing.

So, chances are, these are actually StorCenter units (but hopefully, same firmware???), and probably their original retail packaging was out-dated, so they removed them from the retail packaging, not just to save space, but also because it was out-dated, and there may have been legal reasons not to sell them in their original (out-dated) retail packaging.

Edit: Oh, these aren't "New". There's a sticker on the bottom, that this is a "remanufactured product", and "meets iomega's standards". Well, well, well...

Look like I'm going to have an interesting week ahead, installing drives and actually testing these units for functionality. Hopefully, the Lenovo IX2-DL firmware file(s) are recognized by the StorCenter. If not, I may be screwed.

Edit: The case was pretty new-looking on the unit that I unwrapped, but no plastic "pullies" layered on them.

Last edited:

mikeford

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2001
PM so far seems very interested in customer satisfaction, so don't expect a painful at least screwing.
Are they all the same, or mixed?
Looking at the pictures, I don't recall my IX2 as having drive carriers, just sticking the drives directly into the box, but its been 5 years, so maybe they do and I forgot.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Yeah, my Lenovo IX2-DL units have "drive rail/guides". The drives themselves plug directly into a back-plane, so you could, in theory, just plug drives directly in, but they do come with two per unit, these clip-on plastic U-shaped things, with "handles" to pull the drives back out of the unit, that clip onto the sides of the drives, and help line them up as well as provide a means to pull out failed drives.

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
I did a LOT of file moving this weekend, and noticed that the IX2 with big files topped about about 45Mb/s and the PX4 about 80Mb/s. Full details in a forum post I just made, https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/file-xfer-speeds-internal-and-to-a-nas.2586054/ The IX2 has WD reds, PX4 has HGST, 5400 vs 7200 rpm might be a factor. Time sure stacked up doing 2x 2.4TB.
thnx for posting your feedback, i was tempted to buy a dozen but if they are 45Mb/s easy for me to pass.

mikeford

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2001
What is a good speed?

When I get a chance, my second IX2 came as a 2x 1TB, and I may play with it using a stripped raid instead of JBOD, and with 7200 rpm drives. I've only just tested it with a few files and setup so far, then disconnected and powered off.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
The Lenovoemc firmware download site is still up, or up again. I just downloaded the ix2 and ix4 firmware.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Now showing "SOLD OUT". Which one of you bought 2-3 more lots, LOL.

Now I have to figure out how to use my single lot of these. Hopefully they won't become e-waste.

BenJeremy

Oct 31, 2004
I've been trying to find the time to figure out how to use flash drives to reconstitute these for use.... they did include a 1TB "seed" in each lot, but so far my results have been spotty in creating more "seed" drives so I can sell these off individually with 80GB Seed drives installed. I have the files to create the flash drive image and this: https://www.myhacklog.com/restore-an-iomega-lenovo-storcenter-ix2-ng/ but Lenovo's site itself isn't much of a help in this regard.

mikeford

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2001
This is just a guess, but my first IX2 was DL, no disc, and I just put in two drives and ran the setup, so MAYBE there is something inside in something like a USB socket?

Seems worthwhile to open one up, or wait to see on ebay etc maybe what happened to the rest. Just looked, the sister company, Centrix is selling them at apparently good prices on ebay.

BenJeremy

Oct 31, 2004
This is just a guess, but my first IX2 was DL, no disc, and I just put in two drives and ran the setup, so MAYBE there is something inside in something like a USB socket?

Seems worthwhile to open one up, or wait to see on ebay etc maybe what happened to the rest. Just looked, the sister company, Centrix is selling them at apparently good prices on ebay.

Some models have flash built in, these do not.

I'd probably have already done my homework, and sold these off with a flash drive and some instructions, but I've been trying to wrap up a video game I've been working off and on for 5 years to get it up on Steam for the Christmas season. These units will fit in a $20 flat rate box from USPS. I just want to make sure any buyers are satisfied, and that means doing everything right.

Jul 30, 2015
in case anyone needs this... this apparently is how to restore the OS on these if you lose the OS due to drives crapping out.. etc....
From what I understand, the IX2-DL (diskless).. the OS was in flash.. all other products, the OS is installed on the drives..

mikeford

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2001
Good idea to keep that zip file while the link is still good, and the instructions on how to use it.