Parallel Port VS USB port on an Inkjet printer?

CrowDog

Golden Member
Jun 7, 2001
Any difference in performance or quality? Im using parrallel now....any reason to buy a USB cable?

Im on a Epson Stylus C60 in Win XP.

Damascus

Golden Member
Jul 15, 2001
Parallel is slightly faster and more reliable. USB printers seem to get 'disconnected'
a lot (and to get connected again you have to keep hot plugging it until it shows
up again).

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000

<< USB printers seem to get 'disconnected' >>

Hmmm never had that problem with my USB printer infact never had USB problem period :).

nicowju

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2001
Is the parallel port really faster? The USB printers I have at home don't have that disconnect issue, and they print photos really fast (faster than parallel, from my experience with the HP 930C)

Damascus

Golden Member
Jul 15, 2001
Parallel port has a higher bandwidth rating than USB. Real world performance,
who knows.

Mem: had that problem with my HP810c on Intel and VIA chipsets. I've also
heard people around here complaining about that from time to time.

EppyThatcher

Apr 8, 2001
personal expierience is that they both work good for me, no problems either way, the only deciding factor for most with a basic system is you only have 2 usb ports, depending how many usb devices you have you should go with parallel, but either way works great.

EppyThatcher

Apr 8, 2001
usb is faster than parallel when it comes to external cdrom's/webcam's etc as far as i know, and it might be faster for printing as well but if there is a speed differnce to me it is so small it doesn't stand out to me.

bozo1

Diamond Member
May 21, 2001
You are still limited to the speed and the buffer size in the printer. While parallel is technically a little faster, it really doesn't matter as the printer will always be the bottleneck.
Personally, I use USB because the cable is smaller and the back of my desk looks like a rats nest already.

Dewey

Mar 17, 2001
I prefer USB. Parallel is fine but when you want to add 2 or 3 printers you are out buying some strange multi-port card. Why not go USB and get virtually infinite expandability. I can add USB devices to my hearts content. I can't do that with the parallel port. As for speed, I cannot tell the difference between LPT and USB.

dunkster

Golden Member
Nov 13, 1999
I like the parallel port for printers.

You might read up a bit about which parallel port mode to use (SPP, ECP, EPP, ECP/EPP) regarding bandwidth on the parallel port. My parallel port i believe (too lazy to go into bios just now) is set to ECP/EPP using EPP 1.9.

The last time I saw a write-up on this was in Rojak Pot Bios Optimization Guide. Available bandwidth choices are discussed there.

Hope this helps!

CrowDog

Golden Member
Jun 7, 2001
Dosent sound like it makes much of a difference. The main difference is freeing up a usb port. So Ill just leave it the way it is. Thanks for the replies.

Hellblast

Oct 14, 1999
hmmm, my parallel port printer locks up my system intermittently while it prints. Mouse gets really laggy and so on.
Maybe I should change my LPT settings in BIOS?

Hellblast