PANTHERS!!!!!!!!!!!!

arcas

Platinum Member
Apr 10, 2001
Agreed, plenty of drama. Great game? Not IMO. The only reason for the drama was because neither team wanted to win. Bulger racked up 3 ints though two of them really should be considered completed passes (it's hard to call it an "int" when the ball was perfectly thrown to an opposing player).

Carolina did everything imaginable to lose that game. Blowing an 11 point lead, pass interference in the endzone with 2 minutes left in Q4, failure to recover an onside kick, delay of game which nullified the game-winning FG on the first possession in OT, not to mention the number of penalties Carolina racked up...they must've been making up for lost ground since they had no penalties last week.

It was entertaining but mistakes do not a great game make.

Pastfinder

Platinum Member
Jul 2, 2000
Who Cares....sometimes the greatest games have the most turmoil...sloppy play hell, GO PANTHERS!!!

shimsham

Lifer
May 9, 2002
that int by the panters in overtime was sweet. stripped one-handed right from the ram players two hands.

TGregg

Dec 22, 2003
Is it just me, or do TV NFL announcers suck eggs? Here in Charlotte, the announcers over the radio (Fox Radio, 99.7 as I recall) are way better than the hosers they have on Fox TV or even ABC (even when Madden covered Dallas against some other team, maybe they were the Panthers).

At one point, the Rams receiver caught the ball just past the 1st down line, got pushed back during the first contact from a Panther, then struggled back across the line to die very close to the point of reception. So the knucklehead announcer says "Good job by (whoever) to get to the first down after the reception." He already had a freaken first down based on forward progress. And at halftime, all they could do was yammer about the Rams QB. And Terry Bradshaw saying that the Cats needed to run Davis to win. Guess what, Terry? He was out early in the 2nd quarter, and the Cats still won.

Yeah, these are nitpicks. But those of you who can listen to the "Panthers Radio Network" (not really sure how far this extends) will get the real skinny on the Panthers. Problem is, it's about 1.75 seconds ahead of TV - so you lose some drama. But, I'm gonna be tuning into radio for the next one. Whoever those announcers are, they have the real skinny on the Panthers. My guess is they are ugly as sin, so they are unstuitable for TV. Which is a shame. Because they call the game right. When the Cats get lucky with a call that should not go their way, the radio guys say so. And when get get screwed, they call that as well. The biggest mistake I've made is to think that the networks are going to be OK to listen to, during the playoffs. Not so.

At one point, there was a flag on a play, but they had to show a closeup of the announcers yammering about something stupid, while I was yelling "What's the flag for?" Oh well, at least they showed most of the game this time, instead of missing a play or two for commericials.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Don Cheadle (from the NFL playoffs ads) will have a field day with this game!

josphII

Banned
Nov 24, 2001
my only problem w/ the game was poor coaching decisions. martz not going for the td and the end of regulation and carolinas coach not attemting the field goal in OT on 2nd down when they were lined up perfectly. they ran twice, didnt gain a yard and ended up being two yards towards the right hash, then missed the field goal wide right by about 3ft

Excelsior

Lifer
May 30, 2002
Originally posted by: josphII
my only problem w/ the game was poor coaching decisions. martz not going for the td and the end of regulation and carolinas coach not attemting the field goal in OT on 2nd down when they were lined up perfectly. they ran twice, didnt gain a yard and ended up being two yards towards the right hash, then missed the field goal wide right by about 3ft

I still dont see how missing a fg by a few yards is considered wide.

Excelsior

Lifer
May 30, 2002
Originally posted by: arcas
Agreed, plenty of drama. Great game? Not IMO. The only reason for the drama was because neither team wanted to win. Bulger racked up 3 ints though two of them really should be considered completed passes (it's hard to call it an "int" when the ball was perfectly thrown to an opposing player).

Carolina did everything imaginable to lose that game. Blowing an 11 point lead, pass interference in the endzone with 2 minutes left in Q4, failure to recover an onside kick, delay of game which nullified the game-winning FG on the first possession in OT, not to mention the number of penalties Carolina racked up...they must've been making up for lost ground since they had no penalties last week.

It was entertaining but mistakes do not a great game make.

Yeah, neither team wanted to win, that's why Manning stripped the ball away from 5 year veteran and leading receiver Torry Holt.

flxnimprtmscl

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2003
Panther fans, be sure to thank Mike Martz also. You played an excellent game but he did everything in his power to help. Honestly, if he still has a job I can't figure out why. Worst. Coached. Game. Ever.

josphII

Banned
Nov 24, 2001
Originally posted by: Excelsior

?

TGregg

Dec 22, 2003
Originally posted by: flxnimprtmscl
Panther fans, be sure to thank Mike Martz also. You played an excellent game but he did everything in his power to help. Honestly, if he still has a job I can't figure out why. Worst. Coached. Game. Ever.

Ya know, I couldn't figure that call out either. I was glad they didn't go for it, but I certainly didn't understand why he didn't take at least one shot into the end zone. Did they give a reason in the local papers this AM?

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001

Is that sarcasm?

Excelsior

Lifer
May 30, 2002
Originally posted by: LikeLinus

Is that sarcasm?

No. The kicks I have seen that are extremely right or left I call wide.

Flyermax2k3

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2003

If it's not "wide" in your opinion then, do you call it "narrow"?
rolleye.gif

"Wide" is a generic term meaning "outside of the uprights to either side".

Excelsior

Lifer
May 30, 2002
Originally posted by: Flyermax2k3

If it's not "wide" in your opinion then, do you call it "narrow"?
rolleye.gif

"Wide" is a generic term meaning "outside of the uprights to either side".

Yeah, I know that (now).

shimsham

Lifer
May 9, 2002
Originally posted by: TGregg
Is it just me, or do TV NFL announcers suck eggs? Here in Charlotte, the announcers over the radio (Fox Radio, 99.7 as I recall) are way better than the hosers they have on Fox TV or even ABC (even when Madden covered Dallas against some other team, maybe they were the Panthers).

At one point, the Rams receiver caught the ball just past the 1st down line, got pushed back during the first contact from a Panther, then struggled back across the line to die very close to the point of reception. So the knucklehead announcer says "Good job by (whoever) to get to the first down after the reception." He already had a freaken first down based on forward progress. And at halftime, all they could do was yammer about the Rams QB. And Terry Bradshaw saying that the Cats needed to run Davis to win. Guess what, Terry? He was out early in the 2nd quarter, and the Cats still won.

Yeah, these are nitpicks. But those of you who can listen to the "Panthers Radio Network" (not really sure how far this extends) will get the real skinny on the Panthers. Problem is, it's about 1.75 seconds ahead of TV - so you lose some drama. But, I'm gonna be tuning into radio for the next one. Whoever those announcers are, they have the real skinny on the Panthers. My guess is they are ugly as sin, so they are unstuitable for TV. Which is a shame. Because they call the game right. When the Cats get lucky with a call that should not go their way, the radio guys say so. And when get get screwed, they call that as well. The biggest mistake I've made is to think that the networks are going to be OK to listen to, during the playoffs. Not so.

At one point, there was a flag on a play, but they had to show a closeup of the announcers yammering about something stupid, while I was yelling "What's the flag for?" Oh well, at least they showed most of the game this time, instead of missing a play or two for commericials.

fox isnt so bad. cbs blows to no end, tho.