Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen

Grimbones

Jun 12, 2004
Not sure if this was posted, but i just found out about it, so i am making a new thread.

I really enjoy the idea of an MMO going back to some of the old cornerstones of the genre--namely the feeling of community and exploration.

There are a few things that they are changing that i wish they would not, but for the first time in a very long time i have hope for a new MMO.

Apparently it has a kickstarter going.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1588672538/pantheon-rise-of-the-fallen

I hope some more gaming websites do more promotions for it, tired of logging into a new MMO and being met with the exact same thing that every other game is doing time after time after time.

Good luck to Brad Mcquaid and his team.

Markbnj

Elite Member <br>Moderator Emeritus
Sep 16, 2005
www.markbetz.net
I'm at the point where hearing about another kickstarter is the same as not hearing about the game at all. The ideas sound intriguing, but I'll be interested when they have it built.

Grimbones

Jun 12, 2004
Yeah, honestly i'm not a huge fan of kickstarter games, because some of them tend to look a tad...skimpy on graphics/content you name it. I am just hopeful for the game, we'll see where they land.

maniacalpha1-1

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2010
I guess my question is, is this going to be like original EQ at all? Raiding, gear progression? Which, I of course ask because it's being made by Brad Macquaid of EQ. I mean, doing different things is great and all but removing progression like EQN is...

Grimbones

Jun 12, 2004
I guess my question is, is this going to be like original EQ at all? Raiding, gear progression? Which, I of course ask because it's being made by Brad Macquaid of EQ. I mean, doing different things is great and all but removing progression like EQN is...

I'm not sure i saw that answered. I certainly hope they will have those things. Sounds like a return to a more old school type of game.

Feb 4, 2009
As I said before I'm all for what they are talking about however lets be honest everyone talks about that stuff in MMO's and it never works they always end up being a WOW clones. Also the expected release date is 2017 if I remember correctly.

Feb 4, 2009
I've heard this before what horrible thing did Brad do to Vanguard? I know when it was released it was kind of unfinished and missing features (if I remember correctly)

Markbnj

Elite Member <br>Moderator Emeritus
Sep 16, 2005
www.markbetz.net
I've heard this before what horrible thing did Brad do to Vanguard? I know when it was released it was kind of unfinished and missing features (if I remember correctly)

I played at release for a few months, and then again just recently. I don't know the whole story but I think the community was pissed at the problems the game had at launch, and the fact that he had to sell out to Sony soon afterward. As I recall they never had the funding to really do it right. It was pretty innovative for its time, with one open world and no zoning, all spaces directly accessible, all buildings (or most) enterable, etc.

Grimbones

Jun 12, 2004
Basically, and i have no real information--other than what i have read--is that the game was forced out the door 6 months early by sony, and their staff was cut.

So the game came out in an unfinished state...I really loved the game for what it was when i played it, but the further one got into the game, the more you could tell it was rushed out the door.

I think there were just some financial decisions that did not quite pan out in the long run, and when Microsoft backed out of the game, sony came in and offered them half the time they were hoping for, so basically it all kind of blew up in their faces.

Honestly though, the game had some very very good ideas.

I strongly doubt it will be a WoW clone, just because of who is building it. He's saying he doesn't want it to be a WoW clone, and it's going to be group based. But i'm still at a wait and see stage myself.

maniacalpha1-1

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2010
Does anyone know if you can get permanent forum access with one of the one-time contributions?

Also, their website is down at this moment, is there a bad reason for that?

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
I liked a lot of the things that Vanguard tried to do, lots of different classes to play, the harvesting system was unique (people could help harvest a node for a better percentage at a rare), being able to move while casting spells was a nice change at the time. I played as a sorcerer to lvl 48 i think in the first couple of months, also had a 40ish bard. There where some serious imbalances like having your group in perma invis/run buff mode.

MeldarthX

Golden Member
May 8, 2010
Vanguard had the best crafting system ever in an MMO - the having the 3 parts to fully raid was also awesome......there were a lot of mistakes he made also which he fully admitted; and came clean on.

I very much want to play this - looking to put some money towards it soon - If Sony had given another 6 months for Vanguard to be polished and finished it would of easily stomped what was out there specially EQ II......*which is why I suspect they didn't; which is a major shame* it would of pulled a lot of people from WoW...

asteldian

Nov 25, 2013
In my opinion the bigest issues Vanguard had were all to do with sloppy coding and performance, gameplay wise it is probably still my favorite MMO to date.

Tsavo

Platinum Member
Sep 29, 2009
Basically, Brad was an absentee boss on the Vanguard project which led to it being a rather crap product that stayed crap forever.

He burned every last bridge in the gaming industry, and now he's using Unity and purchased prefab world objects and NPC's to slap together another crap product. He's also using an ever-changing handful of volunteer amateurs to help him cobble this crap together.

All rather pathetic, really.

*hide your Vicodin

Feb 4, 2009
Expected release date 2017, I like what they're saying however 3 years and lets be honest MMO's have not had a great success record for a about a decade

Rut Roh!

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/04/16/fallen-falling-pantheon-development-on-hold/#more-201799

That is, we&#8217;ve shown there is interest in a game like Pantheon, we&#8217;ve built the term sheets and business plan, and now have a prototype we can show to potential investors.

The downside now is that our initial resources have depleted, which regrettably means that development is going to slow down **until finances can be secured**. It&#8217;s not something we want to do by any means, but as we cannot guarantee paychecks to the team, they each need to be able to spend time on other things to pay the bills.

Once we&#8217;re able to get that level of funding we can then secure much-needed studio space and be able to pick up the pace of production dramatically.

From other threads but it appears to still be alive.

I was looking around for challenging MMO’s last night and saw this, then remembered there was a lot of drama regarding this game. YouTube has game play footage.
I’m not read to hand over money.

Worthington

Golden Member
Apr 29, 2005
I loved Vanguard, and despised Brad.

Against my better judgement I back Pantheon years ago. I just want some good crafting.

Feb 4, 2009
An emotional roller coaster of a thread, to be sure.

I know, I kind of feel guilty for pooping on the game years ago.
Out of curiosity I visited the games forums last night.
Appears the game is still going forward without Brad.
Brad May have learned from his previous mismanagement deeds. I know when I managed people sometimes I’d screw up. I just wouldn’t screw up on the same thing twice.
My guess is Brad has some competent people in place. We just have to revisit funding......

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006
Been years and years and it seems like its not any closer to a reelse, So now it's doubt?