Panasonic W4 or Fujitsu P1510D

ET

Oct 12, 1999
I realise it's quite useless to ask others to decide for me, but I figure hearing some opinions won't hurt.

I'm looking to buy an ultra-portable laptop. In terms of form factors, I've used a Psion 5mx, which is the smallest comfortable system to do actual work on; I've had a Samsung Izzi Pro handheld PC, which was a tablet form factor, and quite decent except that it ran Windows CE 2.11. I'm now using an IBM Thinkpad X22 laptop (a used one I bought on eBay a few months ago).

I have quite a few desired features in the device I want.

I do a lot of commuting by bus, and carry the device with me in my bag. In general I'd like to have it with me as much as I can. So I want it:

- Small, so it'd fit easily in any bag, and also be comfortable to work with in the relatively cramped bus seats. The 5mx was great in this respect -- I could even carry it in a jacket pocket or on my belt. The Izzi Pro was quite decent although naturally less portable. The X22 is a bit too large at times. I have to consider which bag to take to fit it in, and it's not always comfortable to have on me on the bus (seat space varies).
- Light, so it's comfortable to carry in that bag, and to take out of it. The lighter the better.

I've also travelled abroad a couple times per year over the last years, so in addition to portability, which is helpful here too, long battery life is helpful for international flights.

Another consideration is that I want it to be a real computer. Though what I did with the 5mx and Izzi Pro was mainly word processing and reading, I'm sure (after using the X22) that I want a real Windows computer, to have real compatibility with everything. I also know that I'll use extra features if I have them. In particular I felt with the X22 that the lack of optical drive (on the base unit, which is what I carry with me) prevented me from trying anything I buy on a trip. It'd also be nice if I could play City of Heroes on the machine.

I'm considering two ultra-portable units now. Both run a 1.2GHz Pentium M on an Intel 915 chipset, which is probably the best I could get at this form factor.

Panasonic W4: This is about the size of the X22 (its size is 268 x 210 mm), but 400g lighter (weighs 1.2kg), including a DVD writer. So this basically gives me the X22 form factor with an optical drive and better hardware. Price for the spec I'd buy would be around $2500 (www.conics.net had a much better price a few days ago, but raised it by about $400 since then).

Fujitsu LifeBook P1510D: This is a smaller device (236 x 167 mm), perhaps a bit lighter (1kg standard, but I'm going to buy the extended battery). No drive, smaller disk and less RAM, but price is just $1700 for the configuration I'll take.

Pros and cons:

Panasonic pros:
- An optical drive
- A little more screen real estate (1024x768 vs. 1024x600)
- 1GB RAM configuration (upgrade from 512MB costs $300 and not $1500 as with the Fujitsu), which is quite needed these days, especially with integrated graphics.
- Tough construction

Panasonic cons:
- Size
- Uses touchpad and not thumb controller. I've always found touchpads harder to use.
- More expensive

Fujitsu pros (not mentioned in the Panasonic pros/cons):
- Tablet format. This might allow me to use it as a comfortable e-book reader (I have a lot of e-books). Having a touch screen is also nice for things like solitaire. :)
- More secure (fingerprint sensor and lock)

So, any opinions?

cheesehead

Lifer
Aug 11, 2000
The Fujitsu looks nice.
Averatec's 1000 line of notebooks might work well. They're very small, have a built-in combo drive, and are not terribly expensive. (For under 950$, you can get one with a ULV processor.) On the other hand, I can't vouch for Averatec's quality.
Also, you're better off installing the RAM yourself. They likely use standard laptop SO-DIMMS, wether DDR1 or DDR2. You can save a few hundred that way, it seems.

ET

Oct 12, 1999
Yeah, I bought the Fujitsu.

It's a nice little machine. Its main disadvantage is that it gets hot. Uncomfortably hot. This also means that I don't want to keep my CF card in there, as I did with my Thinkpad X22. It has some other disadvantages, mainly due to size, but they're less significant, IMO.

If you want more info and opinions, let me know.

ET

Oct 12, 1999
Yes, it uses its own memory type. 1GB is extremely expensive -- in the order of $1000.