Palestinian PM Abbas submits his resignation.

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DBL

Platinum Member
Mar 23, 2001
Originally posted by: LilBlinbBlahIce

Numbers aside, you didn't address the main point I wanted to bring up, what do you do with the settlers? The majority of them are fundamentalist Jews who would refuse to move based on their perception that their right to live there is mandated by God. How do you address a problem with such variables? Furthermore, the settlements engulf prime land and the walls used to protect them not only cut of many Palestinians from their land, but end up creating cantons that invariably imprison and isolate some Palestinians from the rest of their community. I beleive that the settlements are a major cause of the bad blood between the two, and neither the Israeli or US gov seem serious about addressing the issue, hell half the settlements are build using money we give in aid.

Perhaps, Palestinians should stop supporting terrorists and their organizations and see what happens. I really can't see how you can complain about some religious zealots on the other side (settlers) encroaching on your land and then support the religious zealots on your side (Hamas...) who choose to blow up innocent women and children. It would seem obvious to me that terrorism and violence must abate before other concessions are made.

LilBlinbBlahIce

Golden Member
Dec 31, 2001
Originally posted by: DBL

Numbers aside, you didn't address the main point I wanted to bring up, what do you do with the settlers? The majority of them are fundamentalist Jews who would refuse to move based on their perception that their right to live there is mandated by God. How do you address a problem with such variables? Furthermore, the settlements engulf prime land and the walls used to protect them not only cut of many Palestinians from their land, but end up creating cantons that invariably imprison and isolate some Palestinians from the rest of their community. I beleive that the settlements are a major cause of the bad blood between the two, and neither the Israeli or US gov seem serious about addressing the issue, hell half the settlements are build using money we give in aid.

Perhaps, Palestinians should stop supporting terrorists and their organizations and see what happens. I really can't see how you can complain about some religious zealots on the other side (settlers) encroaching on your land and then support the religious zealots on your side (Hamas...) who choose to blow up innocent women and children. It would seem obvious to me that terrorism and violence must abate before other concessions are made.

If someone is attacking the people who stole your land and who you perceive as having made your life a living hell, zealots of not, you are going to support them. It's simple human nature to want to get even.

DBL

Platinum Member
Mar 23, 2001

If someone is attacking the people who stole your land and who you perceive as having made your life a living hell, zealots of not, you are going to support them. It's simple human nature to want to get even.

So, because you perceive Israel to have stolen "your" land, you are claiming that it is human nature, which compels the Palestinians terrorists to murder innocent women and children? Look, I was mad at hell at the events of 9/11, but I would never advocate the destruction of a bus full of Saudi children, despite the fact that the majority of highjackers were Saudis.

While I agree that it is human nature to want to "get even", homicide bombings are the very antithesis of human nature. In fact, I would say that homicide bombings are a strong indication of the breakdown of a society. Blaming others for your predicament never solves anything and more often than not, only leads to further suffering. The Palestinians and Israelis are a classic case of opposites in this regard. It is so obviously clear.

LilBlinbBlahIce

Golden Member
Dec 31, 2001

So, because you perceive Israel to have stolen "your" land, you are claiming that it is human nature, which compels the Palestinians terrorists to murder innocent women and children? Look, I was mad at hell at the events of 9/11, but I would never advocate the destruction of a bus full of Saudi children, despite the fact that the majority of highjackers were Saudis.

While I agree that it is human nature to want to "get even", homicide bombings are the very antithesis of human nature. In fact, I would say that homicide bombings are a strong indication of the breakdown of a society. Blaming others for your predicament never solves anything and more often than not, only leads to further suffering. The Palestinians and Israelis are a classic case of opposites in this regard. It is so obviously clear.

Actually, unless you are a "bible boy", the land was technically stolen. Second of all, I'm not Palestinian so I don't perceive anything. Point is Israel continues to build and expand settlements, so even if you want to consider what is considered Israel proper theirs by the right of God, you cannot deny that building settlements is stealing land. Furthermore, the Palestinians are constantly being collectivly punished, what incentive to they have to lay down their arms? Would you not want to get even if you couldn't move from one place or another or if someone in your family ended up being "collateral damage"? How do you fight against one of the most technologically advanced and ruthless armies in the world when all you have are basic weapons? It's a war and war is ugly. I don't condone suicide bombings (I'm not going to call them homicide bombings to please Fox News), however I try to understand what could compel a human being to do something so outrageous. Unless you understand the cause, you cannot find the solution. And I for one get offended when people try to draw some moral equivalency between Israel and the US. I would be ashamed if my country behaved the way Israel does.
And after 9/11 I was mad as hell too, but we have an army to blow the crap out of people who mess with us, just like Israel. The Palestinians don't.

ThePresence

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by: ThePresence
Never Mind.

I'm sorry, I'm just incapable of understanding and accepting your enlightened first hand view point.
I have no idea what that was supposed to mean. I posted something, then I thought better of it, so I edited it out.

LilBlinbBlahIce

Golden Member
Dec 31, 2001
Never Mind.

I'm sorry, I'm just incapable of understanding and accepting your enlightened first hand view point.
I have no idea what that was supposed to mean. I posted something, then I thought better of it, so I edited it out.

In that case I apologize sincerely, I thought you were trying to be condescending.

Shad0hawK

Banned
May 26, 2003

the question is who stole whos land? the archeological evidence reveals that hebrew artifacts thousands of years old the area they live now in is roughly the same as the state of maoderen day israel(though smaller)

there has never...never..EVER been a nation called "palestine" that is a simple historical fact. the word "palestine" is roman in origin denoting the region in general. the arabic people who live there today and call themselves "palestinians" are NOT the non-semitic people(arabs are semites too in case you did not know) of phoenecian stock that the israeli's struggled with thousands of years before the romans coined the phrase "palestine".

i see your an american, i am a native american. here is my perspective on it: before an american has the right to preach about giving back stolen land, give the stolen land you own back to the natives. otherwise be a hypocrite in what you are saying.

going by the historical/archeological evidence, the israeli's have a legitimate claim to the land.

a similar stuation would be the cherokee(of which i am one) reversing the route of the trail of tears having the UN mandate the resurrection of the cherokee nation the borders of which were recognized by the supreme court in the early 1800's would this cause bad blood? of course it would.

there is more i have to say, but since i am at work i have to get some work done :)

DBL

Platinum Member
Mar 23, 2001
Originally posted by: Shad0hawK

the question is who stole whos land? the archeological evidence reveals that hebrew artifacts thousands of years old the area they live now in is roughly the same as the state of maoderen day israel(though smaller)

there has never...never..EVER been a nation called "palestine" that is a simple historical fact. the word "palestine" is roman in origin denoting the region in general. the arabic people who live there today and call themselves "palestinians" are NOT the non-semitic people(arabs are semites too in case you did not know) of phoenecian stock that the israeli's struggled with thousands of years before the romans coined the phrase "palestine".

i see your an american, i am a native american. here is my perspective on it: before an american has the right to preach about giving back stolen land, give the stolen land you own back to the natives. otherwise be a hypocrite in what you are saying.

going by the historical/archeological evidence, the israeli's have a legitimate claim to the land.

a similar stuation would be the cherokee(of which i am one) reversing the route of the trail of tears having the UN mandate the resurrection of the cherokee nation the borders of which were recognized by the supreme court in the early 1800's would this cause bad blood? of course it would.

there is more i have to say, but since i am at work i have to get some work done :)

You raise many valid points, many of which have been discussed over and over in these forums. I always find it amusing that Palestinian supporters like to cry over "stolen land" when history shows us that it is the Jews who have in many cases been the victims of forced emigration. Arab countries are responsible for the exodus of over 1 million Jews to Israel in the 20th century. The hypocrisy is really astounding when you consider it is these same Arab countries that claim solidarity with their Palestinian brothers, helping to funnel money into various terrorist organizations whose sole purpose is the destruction of Israel. In essence, the Arabs kicked the Jews out of their own counties and now complain that they have created their own country. You can't have it both ways. The Palestinians are just a pawn, used by Arab countries to deflect anger away from their many internal problems.