Paleoconservatism and neoconservatism

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anarchist420

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2010
www.facebook.com
Which one are you more aligned with? On immigration, I'm inbetween (i.e., I don't favor completely closing the borders but I don't support amnesty either), but on foreign policy I hold the non-interventionist pro-American sovereignty paleoconservative view held by Revolutionary Jefferson and Presidents Harding and Coolidge. On trade, I don't support either because paleocons support protectionism while neocons support managed trade via treaties. However, I'd rather have protectionism than globalism, because nationalism is easier to evade than globally managed trade. Paleocons are opposed to deficit spending as well as affirmative action whereas some neocons (Gingrich, Bush) are soft on affirmative action and they support deficit spending. Paleocons oppose federal intrusion into education while some neocons don't. Paleocons are completely against gun control, while neocons (like Bush, Santorum, Gingrich, and Romney) support it to a degree.

On things like abortion and the death penalty the two conservatisms are the same.

As a culturally conservative anarcho-confederalist, I'm more sympathetic to paleoconservatism by far.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Yes once again, one the great questions in life everyone should mentally masturbate over and obsess over.

Sorry anarchist420, I am still too busy wondering about a far more important question, namely does my chewing gum lose its flavor on the bed post overnight? Its my theory of everything, once I solve that I will have a unified field theory able to predict everything in the universe from the big bang and beyond.

Please answer my question first before you ask so many stupid questions of this forum.

nextJin

Golden Member
Apr 16, 2009
Most everyone has no idea there even are two forms of conservatism. The jist is that neoconservatives usually try to legislate morality and believe in interventionism using military conflict. They are also usually more extreme in their beliefs in god and using it in their polictical clout (Santorum for example).

Conservatism is horribly fractured. You have tea partiers, republicans, Republicans, libertarian-republicans, constitutionalists, etc all usually voting Republican. What is awesome is that within those group people would probably kill one another fighting for what they believe to be true conservatism. I can't really think of any Liberal groups fractured like that with the infighting conservatives usually do.

Eh they are just going through a transformation atm, it happened in the 80's and has been fucked ever since.

Status
Not open for further replies.