Pakistan suspected of retaliating after US raid

brainhulk

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2007
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/as_pakistan_bin_laden

"Suspicion rose Monday that Pakistan's intelligence service leaked the name of the CIA chief in Islamabad to local media in anger over the raid that killed Osama bin Laden — the second outing of an American covert operative here in six months."

nuke_it_from_orbit.jpg

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
"Gilani proclaimed the death of bin Laden as "indeed justice done" since al-Qaida has launched many attacks inside Pakistan. But he warned the U.S. not to try a similar covert raid in the future.
"Unilateralism runs the inherent risk of serious consequences," Gilani said. "Pakistan reserves the right to retaliate with full force. ... No one should underestimate the resolve and capability of our nation and armed forces to defend our sacred homeland."

overconfidence.gif

Jun 27, 2005
This reminds me of my last GF who was pissed off that I discovered what she was doing before she had a chance to explain what she was doing.

Pakistan can suck it. They were wrong. They know it. They're just pissed that we found out before they could explain.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
We're due for another real war. I mean gloves off 1940's style, reshape re indoctrinate world type war. Pakistan is as good as target as any to start with.

Jun 27, 2005
We're due for another real war. I mean gloves off 1940's style, reshape re indoctrinate world type war. Pakistan is as good as target as any to start with.

The only problem with that is that this isn't 1940's America anymore. We're broke, we have no sense of unity and our three second attention span pretty much precludes another extended conflict.

Edit: Unless the military forms a pact with X-Box and Playstation to let us all fly our own personal predator drones...

Then it's on! Watch out China!

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Not after a couple nukes go off in our cities and we can't pretend anymore.

Jun 27, 2005
Not after a couple nukes go off in our cities and we can't pretend anymore.

My opinion of the American spirit is so low at this point that IF something like that happened we'd be having discussion on this board along the lines of "well it didn't happen in MY city..."

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011
My opinion of the American spirit is so low at this point that IF something like that happened we'd be having discussion on this board along the lines of "well it didn't happen in MY city..."
No, I think American blood lust runs culturally deep. There were many who would have happily seen mushroom clouds over much of the Middle East in response to 911. The country would gladly get on board with any "kinetic military action" if a nuke went off in a US city.

Oct 30, 2004
No, I think American blood lust runs culturally deep. There were many who would have happily seen mushroom clouds over much of the Middle East in response to 911. The country would gladly get on board with any "kinetic military action" if a nuke went off in a US city.

If a nuke goes off in an American city, all hell will break loose on the world stage. Did anyone here see the movie Southland Tales where part of the backdrop of the story is that terrorists nuked two mid-sized towns in Texas on the 4th of July, resulting in an outright conquest of the Middle East?

OlafSicky

Platinum Member
Feb 25, 2011
Nah we will not go to war with them. Just send them billions more in aid, we will cut that money from public education budged. HS students don't need to read and write at 8th grade level anymore 4th grade level will be good enough for them.

a777pilot

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2011
The only thing keeping America down is Americans, starting with Bobo, the Post Turtle.

chucky2

Lifer
Dec 9, 1999
The only problem with that is that this isn't 1940's America anymore. We're broke, we have no sense of unity and our three second attention span pretty much precludes another extended conflict.

Edit: Unless the military forms a pact with X-Box and Playstation to let us all fly our own personal predator drones...

Then it's on! Watch out China!

Sadly, so true, so true.... :(

Chuck

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
If a nuke goes off in an American city, all hell will break loose on the world stage. Did anyone here see the movie Southland Tales where part of the backdrop of the story is that terrorists nuked two mid-sized towns in Texas on the 4th of July, resulting in an outright conquest of the Middle East?

Really? someone cared about two mid-sized towns in Texas? <sarcasm>

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Heh. Lots of projection in the posts here.

Leaks are a funny thing. Sometimes they're done intentionally by govts, other times they're the actions of a rogue personality. Motivations can vary wildly, as well. Done well, it's hard to tell the difference, and basically impossible to identify the perp.

At this point, blaming the Pakistani govt per se is a stretch, and revving up a lot of half baked hostility on our part is probably a mistake. There's a lot of wounded pride in Pakistan atm wrt the whole Bin Laden affair, and individuals aren't entirely rational under such circumstances.

Maybe the usual ravers could keep it in their pants instead of waving it around, just this once... probably not.

tvarad

Golden Member
Jun 25, 2001
Heh. Lots of projection in the posts here.

Leaks are a funny thing. Sometimes they're done intentionally by govts, other times they're the actions of a rogue personality. Motivations can vary wildly, as well. Done well, it's hard to tell the difference, and basically impossible to identify the perp.

At this point, blaming the Pakistani govt per se is a stretch, and revving up a lot of half baked hostility on our part is probably a mistake. There's a lot of wounded pride in Pakistan atm wrt the whole Bin Laden affair, and individuals aren't entirely rational under such circumstances.

Maybe the usual ravers could keep it in their pants instead of waving it around, just this once... probably not.

If only you read the history of Pakistan, you wouldn't be so quick to give it the benefit of the doubt. It has been a country in search of a reason for existence right from it's creation in 1947. It's been at war with it's neighbors right since inception and, even more sordid, it's military has been at war with their own people for almost it's entire history. This includes the slaughter of between 1-3 million Bangladeshis (their erstwhile countrymen) in 1971 with gruesome tales of pregnant women being raped and bayoneted. There's a high probability that some of these same rapists are still holding high office in the military. Had India not moved 93,000 Pakistanis POW's out of Bangladesh at the time and protected them in India, the Bangladeshis would have made mince-meat out of them. It's constant antagonism with India including instigating three official wars and many unofficial ones is well known. It's leaders treat it's western neighbor Afghanistan like their chattel to do with it as they please.

The U.S. has gone out of it's way to look the other way at all the shennanigans they've indulged in in their faux war-on-terror, bought the story that A.Q. Khan ran his nuclear dept. store on his own without the military knowing (now there's something to really laugh at), shoveled billions of dollars their way in the process, begged, cajoled and done everything possible to make them co-operate in bringing the likes of bin Laden to book. And yet they find the guy not holed up in some cave in the Afghan border area but living in four-star style as an honored guest of their military (and please, spare me the BS about the military not having known; even a fly can't take a crap without it not coming to their notice). There can be no wounded pride for Pakistanis because they have no pride left in the first place - all of it has been stolen by their leaders and sold on the international market for the latest military toys, French chateaus and swank London apartments.

Nothing epitomizes the descent of that wretched country into the depths of moral depravity than those sworn to uphold the law viz. the judiciary acquitting known rapists of Mukhtar Mai (google her story), showering rose petals on the killer of the Governor of Punjab (whose supposed crime was to have defended a "blaspheming" Christian) and taking out a procession in honor of bin Laden who slaughtered thousands of human beings, including Muslims, in cold blood. Can it sink any lower?

Give it a break.

Apr 17, 2005
we shouldn't be putting pakistan in a defensive position. in any sort of argument, when one side feels cornered, there isn't going to be any relevant dialog.

tvarad

Golden Member
Jun 25, 2001
we shouldn't be putting pakistan in a defensive position. in any sort of argument, when one side feels cornered, there isn't going to be any relevant dialog.

Pakistan is currently in the position of Sylvester the Cat with it's mouth open and Granny finding Tweety bird in there. A couple of whacks with the broom are in order.

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001

I think enough Americans are so disgusted with Pakistan that if they did manage to light off a nuke in a US city, there wouldn't be a Pakistan not long after that.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Sorry, but I don't think it is that big of a deal.

This is typical diplomatic tit for tat. Happens all the time, just not under such a big microscope.

We get mad at country X so we kick out their ambassador so they respond by kicking out a few of our people etc etc.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
If only you read the history of Pakistan, you wouldn't be so quick to give it the benefit of the doubt. It has been a country in search of a reason for existence right from it's creation in 1947. It's been at war with it's neighbors right since inception and, even more sordid, it's military has been at war with their own people for almost it's entire history. This includes the slaughter of between 1-3 million Bangladeshis (their erstwhile countrymen) in 1971 with gruesome tales of pregnant women being raped and bayoneted. There's a high probability that some of these same rapists are still holding high office in the military. Had India not moved 93,000 Pakistanis POW's out of Bangladesh at the time and protected them in India, the Bangladeshis would have made mince-meat out of them. It's constant antagonism with India including instigating three official wars and many unofficial ones is well known. It's leaders treat it's western neighbor Afghanistan like their chattel to do with it as they please.

The U.S. has gone out of it's way to look the other way at all the shennanigans they've indulged in in their faux war-on-terror, bought the story that A.Q. Khan ran his nuclear dept. store on his own without the military knowing (now there's something to really laugh at), shoveled billions of dollars their way in the process, begged, cajoled and done everything possible to make them co-operate in bringing the likes of bin Laden to book. And yet they find the guy not holed up in some cave in the Afghan border area but living in four-star style as an honored guest of their military (and please, spare me the BS about the military not having known; even a fly can't take a crap without it not coming to their notice). There can be no wounded pride for Pakistanis because they have no pride left in the first place - all of it has been stolen by their leaders and sold on the international market for the latest military toys, French chateaus and swank London apartments.

Nothing epitomizes the descent of that wretched country into the depths of moral depravity than those sworn to uphold the law viz. the judiciary acquitting known rapists of Mukhtar Mai (google her story), showering rose petals on the killer of the Governor of Punjab (whose supposed crime was to have defended a "blaspheming" Christian) and taking out a procession in honor of bin Laden who slaughtered thousands of human beings, including Muslims, in cold blood. Can it sink any lower?

Give it a break.

Blah, blah, blah. I haven't defended the Pakistani regime in the slightest, nor have I made unproveable assertions wrt them, either. The fact remains that if we want to continue our little adventure in Afghanistan, then we'll need their cooperation. If not, we may as well begin withdrawal today. All the dick waving and raving in the world won't change that.

tvarad

Golden Member
Jun 25, 2001
Blah, blah, blah. I haven't defended the Pakistani regime in the slightest, nor have I made unproveable assertions wrt them, either. The fact remains that if we want to continue our little adventure in Afghanistan, then we'll need their cooperation. If not, we may as well begin withdrawal today. All the dick waving and raving in the world won't change that.

I'm getting the feeling I'm arguing with Lemon Law in disguise.

See, the whole point of the beloved patriot military hiding bin Laden was to ensure that the U.S. stayed in Afghanistan so that they could feather their nests and bleed the infidels dry at the same time. Now that he's been bagged, the Americans can wind down in an orderly fashion and let the CIA take out the rest of the thugs like Mullah Omar, al Zawahiri etc., a nightmare scenario for the pakistanis. This is what's going to happen going forward.