Painting MDF

aggrojosh

Jan 9, 2003
I have a project I'm working on that requires me to paint some MDF wood.
Anyone have any suggestions on prep or types of paint to use?
I would like it to end up with a plastic-like look. But that's not unnecessary.

Thanks in advance

Oct 19, 2000
A coat of primer should do you fine for prep. Paint can be interior or exterior based on the application of the MDF. It real easy stuff to work with.

EDIT: I'm not sure what you're going to do with it, but if it will be going outside, make sure it's sealed fairly well with the paint on the edges. MDF will warp fairly drastically in my experience, being outside in the weather.

aggrojosh

Jan 9, 2003
effowe, thanks for the links, the firs one especially which talks about prepping the edges.

This will be inside only, don't need to worry about the weather.

Thanks for the replies.

Howard

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
Slightly scuff the case-hardened sides with 180 grit before priming those, but otherwise those areas are pretty easy to take care of. As always, though, the more primer, the better.

The edges, however, are completely different. If you don't seal those well, they'll keep sucking up whatever gets put on them. Some people recommend diluted white glue, others spackle, some people go with an epoxy coat.

ItTheCow

Apr 7, 2002
Originally posted by: Kaspian
Make sure you use a good quality primer. With a high solids volume.

Definitely. I finished an MDF paint job last a couple of weeks ago, and although I had two coats of primer on, I can still feel and see all the minute imperfections left behind.

Kaspian

Golden Member
Aug 30, 2004
Originally posted by: ItTheCow
Originally posted by: Kaspian
Make sure you use a good quality primer. With a high solids volume.

Definitely. I finished an MDF paint job last a couple of weeks ago, and although I had two coats of primer on, I can still feel and see all the minute imperfections left behind.

Wherever you get the primer from, ask to see a copy of the DATA sheet (not an MSDS sheet) of the primer. A good quality primer should have around 45% to 50% (+or-) 2% solids per volume.

If you dont mind the question; What are you building/working on?

ItTheCow

Apr 7, 2002
Long story short, one was a small 2' x 2' desk top, and the other was a 2' x 3' desk leg. (I originally had an L-desk, but I converted it to a wall desk)

aggrojosh

Jan 9, 2003
any tips/suggestions on getting a plastic-ish look?
i don't want it to look like painted wood.

Rastus

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
I think there is some wood prep type stuff you can paint it with, then sand it. It's a filler or a type of primer. If you want it to look like plastic, it must be perfectly smooth before you paint it, so it'll take several coats of the primer, with sanding between.

aggrojosh

Jan 9, 2003
Do you think rattle can paint would be fine, if i prepped it right? I have infinitely more experience painting with rattle cans than other methods.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
I've had decent results with flat black paint sprayed directly onto MDF. What is the project if you don't mind me asking?

Kaspian

Golden Member
Aug 30, 2004
Originally posted by: aggrojosh
Do you think rattle can paint would be fine, if i prepped it right? I have infinitely more experience painting with rattle cans than other methods.

Good luck getting a plastic/slick finish with spray cans. They are low in solid content to give you the right mil thickness for that effect. But who knows, it may work for you. We've done some fireplace mantels (mdf) and some painted cabinet doors (mdf) with that type of finish you're looking for. But I've use commercial grade sprayer and high solids primer & finish. I would be really surprise if you can get the same finish with spray can. It wouldn't hurt to try though. Just get a small piece of mdf (maybe a 2'x2') and sand it spray primer (repeat a few times). Then top coat it with a few coats of your finish coat. Dont forget a few (4,5, or 6) light coats are better than 2 or 3 heavy coats.

Good luck and let us know how it works.:)

aggrojosh

Jan 9, 2003
I'm testing out the rattle cans right now.
I know nothing about sprayers and whatnot.
Have any suggestions on a cheap setup? It wouldn't be spraying anything larger than a large computer case, so it wouldn't need to be able to spray for hours straight.

Thanks everyone