Pain relievers

TechHead87

Sep 18, 2004
Ok, I've gotten little sleep in the last 24 hours. I assume this is what's causing my gigantic headache.

So I took 2 Tylenol Extra Strenth 12 hour pain relievers. How long should it take for them to kick in and restore my head back to normal?

And what pain relievers do you all use? I used to take Aleve, but those have gained a bad reputation as of late.

xtknight

Elite Member
Oct 15, 2004
It seems like I have a headache every day. Drink some coffee...go outside or do something. Going outside solved mine today.

SVT Cobra

Lifer
Mar 29, 2005
Originally posted by: xtknight
It seems like I have a headache every day. Drink some coffee...go outside or do something. Going outside solved mine today.

W00t you have an elite title! Congrats!

If you have a headache everyday I'd say that's sinuses/allergies, I have headaches twice a day if I don't take my medication. Where do you live?

To the OP: Try Excedrin Migraine, works wonders with an icepack to the forehead and rest.

xtknight

Elite Member
Oct 15, 2004
Ann Arbor, MI. Barometric pressure here has been on the low side (29.87 inHg). After taking a 45 min walk it cleared up quickly, but not a minute until then. Usually I get one in the night and it carries on into the afternoon. Sometimes coffee solves it, sometimes it doesn't.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Tylenol does nothing for me. Aspirin, Excedrin (which is aspirin, acetominophen, and caffiene) work well for me, as well as a "cocktail" of a couple of aspirin and a couple of ibuprofen at the same time.

SVT Cobra

Lifer
Mar 29, 2005
Ann Arbor, MI. Barometric pressure here has been on the low side (29.87 inHg). After taking a 45 min walk it cleared up quickly, but not a minute until then. Usually I get one in the night and it carries on into the afternoon. Sometimes coffee solves it, sometimes it doesn't.

Since it occurs at night it sounds like sinuses more than allergies. My advice would be to pick up some pseudosuphedrine (you have to get it OTC from behind the pharmacy now) and take it as soon as you feel a headache coming on. It should do the trick. Also when you have a headache try tapping your sinus points (forehead sides, high cheek bones) and see if they are tender. Make sure to tell your doctor about them.

Also how is the venilation in your bedroom, I get massive headaches when I wake up or before going to bed, if I don't keep my room spotless because of bad allergies.

RelaxTheMind

Platinum Member
Oct 15, 2002
Originally posted by: F22 Raptor

Since it occurs at night it sounds like sinuses more than allergies. My advice would be to pick up some pseudosuphedrine (you have to get it OTC from behind the pharmacy now) and take it as soon as you feel a headache coming on. It should do the trick. Also when you have a headache try tapping your sinus points (forehead sides, high cheek bones) and see if they are tender. Make sure to tell your doctor about them.

Also how is the venilation in your bedroom, I get massive headaches when I wake up or before going to bed, if I don't keep my room spotless because of bad allergies.

I added some of those hepa filter things in my house and it improved my well being (headache wise) greatly. cleaner air makes a huge difference.

xtknight

Elite Member
Oct 15, 2004
My nose does seem stuffed (slightly) at times when it shouldn't be (I don't have a cold) although it just doesn't seem like allergies either. I'll try opening my window more. Generally the closet and bedroom entrance doors are both completely shut, and the window is closed, so ventilation is much like a coffin. If it continues then I'll probably get the allergy medicine stuff. My conjecture is it's the cleaner air outside that made me feel better.

SVT Cobra

Lifer
Mar 29, 2005
Originally posted by: RelaxTheMind
Originally posted by: F22 Raptor

I added some of those hepa filter things in my house and it improved my well being (headache wise) greatly. cleaner air makes a huge difference.

I'd rather hit the problem at its source though, clean carpets and surfaces mean clean air. Although it cannot hurt to have them for added cleaning.

SVT Cobra

Lifer
Mar 29, 2005
My nose does seem stuffed (slightly) at times when it shouldn't be (I don't have a cold) although it just doesn't seem like allergies either. I'll try opening my window more. Generally the closet and bedroom entrance doors are both completely shut, and the window is closed, so ventilation is much like a coffin. If it continues then I'll probably get the allergy medicine stuff. My conjecture is it's the cleaner air outside that made me feel better.

Yep, sinuses, especially if you get headaches because of this slighty clogged breathing. Try breathing through your mouth when this happens and you can feel some slight relief.

TraumaRN

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2005
Originally posted by: BooGiMaN
what reputation has aleve gotten?

Aleve is good, it's really good for sore muscles and swelling after workouts I've found. Works pretty good for headaches too, just remember full glass of liquid and/or small meal so it doesnt mess with ur stomach

blueshoe

Mar 6, 2005
Originally posted by: Shawn
Originally posted by: blueshoe
Originally posted by: mrSHEiK124
Originally posted by: Excelsior
HEAD ON...APPLY DIRECTLY TO THE FOREHEAD.

?

From a commercial for a product called "Head On". All it does is repeat it 3 times with a video of a woman applying it. Doesn't even tell you what it's used for.

Text

Shawn

Lifer
Apr 20, 2003

?

From a commercial for a product called "Head On". All it does is repeat it 3 times with a video of a woman applying it. Doesn't even tell you what it's used for.

Text

...tf?

blueshoe

Mar 6, 2005

?

Text

...tf?
Text