Pain in throat while jogging

teddymines

Jul 6, 2001
Every time I try to start running, I get this pain in my throat, and I want to know what it is. It feels like a dry throat, but there is a lot of pressure like something is swollen, and it also feels like someone punched me in the throat right about where my ribcage starts. Stopping running and trying to slow down breathing doesn't help because there is still a lot of irritation. BTW, I don't smoke and have no known health problems.

Anyone else get this or know what it is????

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
How cold is it outside? Does it do it during any season, or only when it's colder out?

Azraele

Elite Member
Nov 5, 2000
Are you breathing mostly through your mouth? If it's cold, the cold air might cause it. If not, some sort of allergen in the air perhaps?

Fausto

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2000
Originally posted by: vi_edit
How cold is it outside? Does it do it during any season, or only when it's colder out?

You may have some kind of exercise-induced asthma exacerbated by the cooler weather. A puff off an over-the-counter inhaler prior to heading out may help.

teddymines

Jul 6, 2001
It happens at any temperature, and at any humidity. I am guessing it has something to do with the act of breathing large volumes of air, and pumping a lot of blood. I don't know too much about physiology, but I want to know if this is something that goes away after a while, or if it will just prevent me from seriously running.

sean2002

Golden Member
Apr 9, 2001
I get the same thing when I run and breath thru my mouth, if I breath thru my nose it does not happen

Codewiz

Diamond Member
Jan 23, 2002
I was a distance runner in high school. This will go away once you get used to running. I would get this when I had taken a lot time off. Especially if it was cold outside. Just take it easy and don't push yourself too hard. If it becomes to hard to run start walking. You will eventually work up your distances and your throat should be fine.

heartsurgeon

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2001
stop running immediately.

see your physician.

NEVER ask for medical advice on AT again.........

i know what i'm talking about.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Originally posted by: heartsurgeon

see your physician.

Send me the money.J/K:)

See him first but I think it's your throat muscles working overtime and stretching out because you just statred. Too much air too litle hole. Happens to a lot of people who start working out. Be lucky your not pukeing like I did in two-a-days.

shiner

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
Oh nothing to worry about. It's just your heart stretching to the point of exploding....

dolph

Diamond Member
Jan 18, 2001
Originally posted by: heartsurgeon

see your physician.

lol. asking for medical advice on a computer forum is about as smart as asking for computer advice to a doctor ;) (not a jab at you, heartsurgeon, but just from my own experience)

Miramonti

Lifer
Aug 26, 2000
Is it where your glands are? If so, better get 'em checked out...maybe they're swollen and if its been going on for a while its worth looking into.

CJZ

Golden Member
Jan 24, 2001
See a doctor and don't use an over the counter inhaler. Those things can be potentially dangerous.

Format C:

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: teddymines
Every time I try to start running, I get this pain in my throat, and I want to know what it is. It feels like a dry throat, but there is a lot of pressure like something is swollen, and it also feels like someone punched me in the throat right about where my ribcage starts. Stopping running and trying to slow down breathing doesn't help because there is still a lot of irritation. BTW, I don't smoke and have no known health problems.

Anyone else get this or know what it is????

Its called a heart attack. Go see the damned doctor before you kill yourself.

teddymines

Jul 6, 2001
Just to set the record straight, I'm not seeking medical advice from this board. I have had several physicals since this problem was first noticed (around 16 years of age) and none showed any indications of any problems. Thanks for the concern, though.

After speaking with a few runners and reading the replies on this thread, it sounds like this is a normal condition for some, and goes away after some time.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Hey Teddy, I have kinda the same problem. My throat would get raw and sore from running and I would develop a cough. However, mine got better with time as my throat tissues got used to the excessive breathing.

I also learned to take an advil and an anti-histimine before my runs. This reduced the swelling and helped limit the reaction that caused it.

Go see a doctor.

virusag11

May 22, 2002
This is something that you may try. When I started running this happened to me. I have bad allergies and asthma (11 meds daily as of 2 years ago, now I am done to 2 :)), so when I started to run my lungs would starts to constrict along with the muscles in my throat. So I would run, then walk, run, walk, etc. After a bit of this I wised up and started out on an exercise bike to build some low impact cardiovascular fitness first, then I tried running again (after 3 months of riding) and it worked out. I still have to use my inhaler before and after running, but I dont get the chest/throat pains any longer. So check with your doctor, see if you can get an albuterol inhaler, and start off with a low impact cardiovascular workout.