Packaging overkill for my last shipment - Toilet paper

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
Toilet paper on sale at Wal-Mart online. So, I ordered over $50 worth, in order to take advantage of the free shipping over $50. This turned out to be 11 packs. 10 of those packs came in the original boxes, two per box. The 11th came in Wal-Mart packaging.

EDAA4DA4-9353-480E-B5C8-64E86FBDBF98_zpsjy7jyyqt.jpg

5F3426FF-0CEC-4B2D-A769-43EF68647DCD_zpsvoowxcye.jpg

3B4E07BB-D23F-42F2-9098-80A0005F5D8A_zpsqhlssvqn.jpg

9A29B24F-0E68-4C4C-A224-4CF1FAC406E3_zps7tapf1qx.jpg

00D05F9C-F1C8-4B59-AC0F-3BB9D02096DE_zpseyw1wfez.jpg

So, they soft-packed toilet paper. BTW, that pack of toilet paper was CAD$4.98, or US$3.75.

This seems almost even more wasteful than the microSD card that I received from Amazon, soft-packed inside an 18" cardboard box.

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
............I ordered a pot that went to a Walmart Grab'n'Go locker a while back. I thought they'd just put the product in the locker unpacked, but it looks like they packed it like they would for a regular home shipment. Tons of those air packets, spent ten minutes popping them all to fit them into the trash.

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
Tons of those air packets, spent ten minutes popping them all to fit them into the trash.
Yeah, if there is a next time, I'll order 12 instead of 11, so that it ships two per box in the original boxes, without all those extra plastic bubbles. It also took me many minutes to pop them all, and then roll them up in to a small roll to throw in the recycling.

P.S. I also have 60 rolls of paper towel coming, ordered on a different day from a different sale. Again ordered enough to get the free shipping. This time it's in 10 packs, so hopefully it's in the original boxes, two per box.

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
Yeah, if there is a next time, I'll order 12 instead of 11, so that it ships two per box in the original boxes, without all those extra plastic bubbles. It also took me many minutes to pop them all, and then roll them up in to a small roll to throw in the recycling.

P.S. I also have 60 rolls of paper towel coming, ordered on a different day from a different sale. Again ordered enough to get the free shipping. This time it's in 10 packs, so hopefully it's in the original boxes, two per box.

Hold the very end of the string of air packs, take a sharp knife, and just run it down the middle. It's a lot faster than popping them.

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
Someone needs more fiber in their diet.

Yes, paper towel is a great source of fibre.

Actually it's because of two young kids. One infant and one toddler. Paper towel comes in really handy, and the sale was for less than half price for the good stuff (Bounty).

Now that we have kids, I think we use about 3-4X as much paper towel as we did before.

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
$5.98 CAD per 6-pack or $59.80 for 60, plus tax. So about $1 CAD per roll.

$5.98 is ~US$4.50. That's about 75 cents US per roll.

You can get cheaper brands but Bounty (select-a-size) is the best. Normal price is usually > $2 CAD per roll.

Strk

Lifer
Nov 23, 2003
Hold the very end of the string of air packs, take a sharp knife, and just run it down the middle. It's a lot faster than popping them.

Yeah, not sure why people don't just do this when they get a bunch of them. I just run a knife across them and it makes quick work of it. And as far as recycling goes, just throw them in with the plastic bags and turn that into the grocery store (most grocery stores have a bin for bag recycling at their entrances).

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
Eug, I've seen some pretty wild things in my day, but this is certainly up there. $50 of TP? You need a hobby, man.:p

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
On topic but off-topic, is Charming any good?

I swear to god, I would KILL to get the commercial sand paper I used to have at work. That stuff was strong, absorbent, and it "held up under pressure". Whatever the hell we use at home, the soft stuff, it's... it leaves "crumbs" behind.

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
On topic but off-topic, is Charming any good?

I swear to god, I would KILL to get the commercial sand paper I used to have at work. That stuff was strong, absorbent, and it "held up under pressure". Whatever the hell we use at home, the soft stuff, it's... it leaves "crumbs" behind.

Charmin is the best. I like the Ultra Soft, but they also have an Ultra Strong version (which I don't like).

Unfortunately, Charmin is also the most expensive. Fortunately though, the Charmin Ultra Strong is also currently on sale.

http://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/charmin-ultra-strong-toilet-paper-16-double-rolls/6000121712027

No longer in stock online, but in store in some stores.

BTW, some of the other purchasers were saying their delivery guys were all confused as to why all of a sudden they had their trucks half full of toilet paper that they were delivering on the weekend. :D

Murloc

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2008
looks like employees prefer to follow standard procedure rather than get blamed if something goes wrong.

mmntech

Lifer
Sep 20, 2007
Tops my single SD card shipped in a huge box. I guess this is some brainless corporate policy that warehouse staff are made to follow even when it doesn't make sense.

If you have a Costco near by, get a membership and buy the Kirkland TP. It's just as good as the name brands, is cheaper, and comes in bulk.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Packaging is there not only to prevent damage to the product, but to prevent shifting of contents/weight of the product during transportation.

That being said, this is still dang funny. Try ordering packing products next time and see what they use to package it with :)

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
Tops my single SD card shipped in a huge box. I guess this is some brainless corporate policy that warehouse staff are made to follow even when it doesn't make sense.

If you have a Costco near by, get a membership and buy the Kirkland TP. It's just as good as the name brands, is cheaper, and comes in bulk.
Kirkland TP sucks in comparison to Charmin.

Nov 8, 2012
Kirkland TP sucks in comparison to Charmin.

Agreed. Unless you want half the roll to be in your ass from how much of it sticks, I would totally stick with Charmin.

I try to like Costco's products (Kirkland), but their TP is DEFINITELY one that I avoid.

MrDudeMan

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001
Yes, paper towel is a great source of fibre.

Actually it's because of two young kids. One infant and one toddler. Paper towel comes in really handy, and the sale was for less than half price for the good stuff (Bounty).

Now that we have kids, I think we use about 3-4X as much paper towel as we did before.

People no longer have the capacity to live without being incredibly, ridiculously wasteful. We literally don't have paper towels in our house and we haven't for years nor have we missed them. They are completely superfluous if you understand how to use a rag. Rags absorb more, cost WAY less over time, and you don't throw them away more than once every few years. We're on the same set of 20 that we bought before our kids were born.

We get the same bullshit from everyone: what happens if you need to clean up dog piss, puke, or dead <insert something>? Well, genius, we use a fucking rag just like I said five minutes ago. People have been living for many, many tens of thousands of years without paper towels and they got by just fine. I love the commercials that try to get you to wash your dishes with paper towels. Anyone who does that should be KOS for the stupidity of it.

Oh, and about the toilet paper - teach your kids how to wipe their asses without using an entire tree per turd. I know it's possible because I've done it with multiple kids. It takes my family about 6 months to use 20 rolls and no one is ever covered in shit like you probably visualized in your head.