PA primary thread

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

RY62

Mar 13, 2005
Originally posted by: Vic
Originally posted by: bamacre
I think it's abundantly clear who corporate America and the MSM want to win the race, which is probably the only reason she's still in it.

Yup.

My gut tells me that she's going to bamboozle her way into the nomination. The question is, how much will this affect the party?

Given that the only way she can win the nom at this point would be through back room deals, it'll pretty much tear it apart. The blacks, youth, white-collar liberals, and much of the west coast Democrats will basically be told by the party that they don't matter, while the old white blue-collar east-ers do.
In an election that the Dems to lose, this will go down as one of the worst political mistakes in US history.

The only way either of them can win is through back room deals. After all people have voted, neither candidate will have the required number of pledged delegates. The supers may decide the outcome early or it may go to the convention. Either way, backroom deals will decide the nominee. Who is more electable? What does the party lose or gain with each candidate? These are some of the questions being asked in the back room right now.
Don't kid yourself both, Obama and Clinton, are working the back room as we speak.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: CADsortaGUY
popcorn - check
lawnchair - check
beer - check

Great show!

I know! It's almost as good a show as your boy outright doubling the federal budget in 8 short years, and you still believing you belong to the small government party!

lol - try to pigeon hole all you want but the facts don't back you. I've set you straight(you and/or others) but hey believe what you wish. However, the diversion from the show won't work. Keep up the good work people :D

The only circus in town is the new Republican party, with the big-spending, nation-building, big-government, neo-cons as the ring leaders.

Don't forget anti-freedom, anti-rights, and steal-your-property too. They're gonna take your taxdollars, borrow some more for your great-great-great children to pay taxes on the interest on, and give it to the megacorporations to fight wars in the common good. And hey, if you don't like that, here's your "free speech zone" where you can complain...

Andyb23

Oct 27, 2006
Good Job Hillary!!!

The Indian community supports you, you are the best choice for America.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
popcorn - check
lawnchair - check
beer - check

Great show!

I know! It's almost as good a show as your boy outright doubling the federal budget in 8 short years, and you still believing you belong to the small government party!

lol - try to pigeon hole all you want but the facts don't back you. I've set you straight(you and/or others) but hey believe what you wish. However, the diversion from the show won't work. Keep up the good work people :D

The only circus in town is the new Republican party, with the big-spending, nation-building, big-government, neo-cons as the ring leaders.

Don't forget anti-freedom, anti-rights, and steal-your-property too. They're gonna take your taxdollars, borrow some more for your great-great-great children to pay taxes on the interest on, and give it to the megacorporations to fight wars in the common good. And hey, if you don't like that, here's your "free speech zone" where you can complain...

One thing I've always wondered is if Bush was a democrat and did all these things, Republicans would be jumping on the wall over it. But they're so sedated. It seems to me that the ones that still support their party are more concerned with style over substance.

b0mbrman

Lifer
Jun 1, 2001
Originally posted by: dmcowen674
Originally posted by: b0mbrman
Originally posted by: dmcowen674
She picked up 28 more delegates than Obama.

Damn, she was outspent 2 to 1 and Obama didn't crush her.

I bet that crushes a lot of guys in here.

No, she picked up *at least* 28 delegates...meaning she got at least 18 percent of the vote :)

I imagine no one's crushed except for all the guys who were predicting an Obama win.

OK, numbers update:

She got 18 more delegates than Obama, big whoopie doo.

She outspent 3 to 1.

...and I'm sure Hillary Clinton still has better name recognition across the state. At the very least, I'm absolutely sure more people know Hillary's religion ;)

b0mbrman

Lifer
Jun 1, 2001
Originally posted by: sirjonk
Originally posted by: sirjonk
The remaining Democratic primaries are in North Carolina, Indiana, Oregon, Kentucky, West Virginia, Montana, South Dakota and Puerto Rico, and caucuses in Guam.
With the possible exception of Indiana, I highly doubt that Hillary will win any of them. Oregon, I guarantee, will be a double-digit blow-out for Obama.

Well, I dunno. Puerto Rico being hispanic skews towards Hillary and then there's these:

http://www.surveyusa.com/clien...4f2e-8dde-3f865c3d7ac5
In a Democratic Primary in Kentucky today, 04/15/08, five weeks to the vote, Hillary Clinton defeats Barack Obama 62% to 26%.

West Virginia Democratic Presidential Primary (3/13/08)
West Virginia: Clinton 55% Obama 27%

Sure those numbers will likely change, but thems some mighty steep climbs.

Do you have ethnic Puerto Rican splits? It's tough to guess when PRs might vote differently from the largely Chicano Hispanics who've already voted...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S...es%2C_2008#Puerto_Rico

Research & Research
Sample size: 800
Margin of error: ± 4.4%
March 31-April 5, 2008 Clinton 50%, Obama 37%, Undecided 13%

Wow, that's good to see...and could spell huge trouble for Obama in the somewhat-important-in-the-narrative-the-media-has-chosen popular vote

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
popcorn - check
lawnchair - check
beer - check

Great show!

Set me straight on what? That your "Freedom First!" President has proposed a $3.1 trillion dollar budget for FY09? Or are you saying that that is not a fact? Or that the budget under Bush (with, I might add, a Republican Congress for the first 6 years) has increased, both by percentages and numbers, faster than under any other President in US history (except FDR in WWII, but not during the Depression). Are you denying that these are facts?

:roll: No, I am a Conservative first and foremost and have been very unhappy with the amount of spending that has been going on. If you would have been paying attention - you'd have known of this but if it helps you feel better to try claim I supported Bush on these issues - so be it.

Now back to the show... :p

b0mbrman

Lifer
Jun 1, 2001
Originally posted by: Dari
Obama lost big. Next time, don't insult people, no matter how honest it is. Randell said whites in Penn. wouldn't vote for a black man and he was right.

:Q

When did Rendell say that?

Also, considering that Obama actually gained ground over the last month and a half, maybe they liked being "insulted" :)

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
popcorn - check
lawnchair - check
beer - check

Great show!

Set me straight on what? That your "Freedom First!" President has proposed a $3.1 trillion dollar budget for FY09? Or are you saying that that is not a fact? Or that the budget under Bush (with, I might add, a Republican Congress for the first 6 years) has increased, both by percentages and numbers, faster than under any other President in US history (except FDR in WWII, but not during the Depression). Are you denying that these are facts?

:roll: No, I am a Conservative first and foremost and have been very unhappy with the amount of spending that has been going on. If you would have been paying attention - you'd have known of this but if it helps you feel better to try claim I supported Bush on these issues - so be it.

The new Republican party has no room for conservatives.

b0mbrman

Lifer
Jun 1, 2001
I think it's abundantly clear who corporate America and the MSM want to win the race, which is probably the only reason she's still in it.

They don't want her to win, they just want the job security of an extended, high-conflict race ;)

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
popcorn - check
lawnchair - check
beer - check

Great show!

If you really were a conservative "first and foremost" then you would be backing conservative causes and issues, and fighting against the Republican corruption and out-of-control spending of the Bush admin, even if that meant backing a Democrat in this election cycle, if only to get the Republican party back on track to conservativism. But you don't, so I don't buy it.
There's party and there's principle, and you have made it more than clear which one of those is more important to you, no matter how much you try to deny it.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001

They don't want her to win, they just want the job security of an extended, high-conflict race ;)

I can't argue this. Without all the campaign revenues, this would have been a very bad year for media advertising already.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
popcorn - check
lawnchair - check
beer - check

Great show!

Oh please what have the democrats not done that the repubs do? This idea that the democrats are going to be any different or that Obama will take this country in a new direction is foolish utopian dreaming. The man can BS you till he is blue in the face. At the end of the day his handlers are no different than the handlers of Clinton or McCain. Same shit, different smell.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
popcorn - check
lawnchair - check
beer - check

Great show!

One thing I've always wondered is if Bush was a democrat and did all these things, Republicans would be jumping on the wall over it. But they're so sedated. It seems to me that the ones that still support their party are more concerned with style over substance.

You said sedation and that is exactly what it is. Small govt republicans are not motivated to vote nor give money to a party who has abandoned its core principles to hold onto the power that was granted to them in 1994. But dont confuse sedation with approval. People are still pissed about what has happened over the last few years and the proof is in the pudding. Contributions are down and voter turnout is weak. The republican leadership is getting exactly what they deserve for the course they have set.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
popcorn - check
lawnchair - check
beer - check

Great show!

If you really were a conservative "first and foremost" then you would be backing conservative causes and issues, and fighting against the Republican corruption and out-of-control spending of the Bush admin, even if that meant backing a Democrat in this election cycle, if only to get the Republican party back on track to conservativism. But you don't, so I don't buy it.
There's party and there's principle, and you have made it more than clear which one of those is more important to you, no matter how much you try to deny it.

Uh, I am backing Conservative causes and issues. But if you really are a Libertarian then maybe you should rethink your support of the Liberal BHO.
But thanks for the laugh, if you think that there is a Democrat in the race who will reign in "out-of-control spending" then I think you've drank a bit too much BHO kool-aid.

That being said - I've stated many times here that I haven't decided if I'm going to back McCain this year due to my unhappiness and I know plenty of Conservatives who are in the same boat as I am.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
Obama lost big. Next time, don't insult people, no matter how honest it is. Randell said whites in Penn. wouldn't vote for a black man and he was right.

:Q

When did Rendell say that?

Also, considering that Obama actually gained ground over the last month and a half, maybe they liked being "insulted" :)

He said it like one or two months ago.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
popcorn - check
lawnchair - check
beer - check

Great show!

Uh, I am backing Conservative causes and issues. But if you really are a Libertarian then maybe you should rethink your support of the Liberal BHO.
But thanks for the laugh, if you think that there is a Democrat in the race who will reign in "out-of-control spending" then I think you've drank a bit too much BHO kool-aid.

That being said - I've stated many times here that I haven't decided if I'm going to back McCain this year due to my unhappiness and I know plenty of Conservatives who are in the same boat as I am.

Same boat here. I will vote because it is a right I cherish. However I may give myself a vote for president because McCain doesnt do it for me. If I were to vote for McCain it is only as a check to a democratic congress. I fear where they would go with an Obama or Hillary at the helm. Rubbstamp congress's are terrible as witnessed over the course of the last presidency.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Genx87
popcorn - check
lawnchair - check
beer - check

Great show!

Oh please what have the democrats not done that the repubs do? This idea that the democrats are going to be any different or that Obama will take this country in a new direction is foolish utopian dreaming. The man can BS you till he is blue in the face. At the end of the day his handlers are no different than the handlers of Clinton or McCain. Same shit, different smell.

Yeah well, pardon me for actually wanting to do something about it except pretend it doesn't exist, or feign cynicism and shoot down every single attempt at doing something. :roll:

BS is the way the "conservatives" here had me fooled that they held principle over party. You had me fooled. Shame on you for that. Just FYI, there won't ever be a shame on me, so keep spouting your BS about "utopian dreaming" and all that, I'll remember to do the same to you when you're doing your usual little team rally and pretending to yourself that your little team leaders actually care about cutting the size and scope of government, securing freedoms and liberties, or protecting the country, or any other of their bullshit that you've already fallen for, hook, line, and sinker.

Rest assured though, I'm not really supporting the Dems per se. I'm helping to kick your little team to the fscking curb, where it belongs for betraying the country. You could prove your self-professed sincerity to ideological principle by helping us out, but I won't hold my breath.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
in a rare moment of lucidity, MoDo actually made a decent point today...

"Her message is unapologetically emasculating: If he does not have the gumption to put me in my place, when superdelegates are deserting me, money is drying up, he?s outspending me 2-to-1 on TV ads, my husband?s going crackers and party leaders are sick of me, how can he be trusted to totally obliterate Iran and stop Osama?"

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

In all likelihood they wouldn't have voted for him anyway.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001

Heh. If you can't see that the Pubs under Bush have become so ANTI-libertarian that even that even a lib-er-al like Obama looks like a champion of liberty and small government in relative comparison, then the only laugh here is on you, and the only kool-aid being drunk is that which Bush gave you. Wake the hell up, swallow your pride, and do the right thing... for once.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Originally posted by: Genx87
popcorn - check
lawnchair - check
beer - check

Great show!

Yeah well, pardon me for actually wanting to do something about it except pretend it doesn't exist, or feign cynicism and shoot down every single attempt at doing something. :roll:

BS is the way the "conservatives" here had me fooled that they held principle over party. You had me fooled. Shame on you for that. Just FYI, there won't ever be a shame on me, so keep spouting your BS about "utopian dreaming" and all that, I'll remember to do the same to you when you're doing your usual little team rally and pretending to yourself that your little team leaders actually care about cutting the size and scope of government, securing freedoms and liberties, or protecting the country, or any other of their bullshit that you've already fallen for, hook, line, and sinker.

Rest assured though, I'm not really supporting the Dems per se. I'm helping to kick your little team to the fscking curb, where it belongs for betraying the country. You could prove your self-professed sincerity to ideological principle by helping us out, but I won't hold my breath.

Well perhaps you havent been reading what I have been saying since about 2005. While Ill fight the local leftwing loons on this page with rhetoric. I have made it clear the path the republicans have paved for themselves is ridiculous and worthy of defeat at the ballot box. Either the party needs to cease, drop its rino's, or move to the left and have a 3rd party formed in its place.

I dont think we are too far apart on our anger level at the current state of affairs. I just dont buy into Obama being different. And while I dont care for McCain. I'd vote for him in the hope it would throw a wrench into the cogs of the govt and keep the executive and legislative brnaches fighting. While fighting they hopefully cease to pass as much legislation expanding our govt. Now if we have a republican congress Obama would get my vote over Hillary or McCain. Bottom line is this election cycle is crap for me.

Dufusyte

Jul 7, 2000
Hillary isn't stupid. It seems to me that she knows she has a means of getting the nomination. Otherwise she wouldn't have stayed in the race this long. She knows its not the math that favors her.

Just smells fishy to me.
The Clinton's have had a fishy smell since they first began their racket in Arkansas.

Their primary objective is to get Hil on the top of the bill.

But failing that, they will settle for forcing Obama to agree to have Hil as VP.

In which case Hil will still be pres when Obama mysteriously "commits suicide" like so many of the other people who have been in the Clintons' way.

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
popcorn - check
lawnchair - check
beer - check

Great show!

Then jump ship and vote for the Libertarian candidate. They can't win, but the bigger their numbers, the bigger message it sends to the Republican party.

You can't change the Republican party by supporting it when it fucks up. And that's exactly what a McCain vote does.