P_4 2.4GHz-C 800FSB Core Stepping MO. What is it?

user1

Mar 6, 2001
I ordered a retail P4 2.4-c GHZ CPU. Tthe sSPEC on the unit that arrived is SL6Z3.
Here is all I found out @ Intel Website Processor Specs in the NOTES for this sSPEC:

18. These parts have some specifications that differ from those in the Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512-KB L2 Cache on 0.13 Micron Process Datasheet. The specifications that are different from the datasheet are: Vmax =1.425 V, Vmin = 1.350 V, Icc_max = 57.9 A, TDP = 75.1 W, Tcase = 72 °C, Isgnt = 32.0 A.
20. Intel Pentium(R) 4 processor with 512KB L2 cache on .13 Micron Process M-0 stepping is a unique stepping of Intel Pentium(R) 4 processors. The currently shipping Intel Pentium(R) 4 processor with 512KB L2 cache on o.13 Micron Process D-1 stepping will continue to ship in high volume into the future with no plans for conversion to M0 stepping.

Anyone out there know more about this particular sSPEC 2.4-C ? When Intel says 'Unique' but has no plans to convert the existing sSPEC D-1 to MO in the future I wonder if this is an Edsel maybe...? Who knows, I may want to try for 1000/1000 one of these days.

thanks in advance

Duvie

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2001
Yes it is the M0 stepping...it is a special stepping that Intel only plans to have in the 2.4 or 2.8ghz models...Some have speculated this is actually a P4ee that for reasons of the l3 cache was defective or the clock speed did not meet the p4ee 3.2ghz standard was binned down...

In my epxerience most of the M0 stepping chips have been someof the best overclockers...i have seen many in the 3.4 to 3.6ghz range so good luck....

Technonut

Diamond Member
Mar 19, 2000
The EE is an M0 stepping....

sSpec#: SL7AA
CPU Speed: 3.20GHz
Bus Speed: 800MHz
Mfg. Tech: 0.13 micron
Stepping: M0
Cache Size: 2MB
Package Type : 478 pin PPGA FC-PGA2

user1

Mar 6, 2001
Duvie and Technonut:

thank you for the replies. I can now see that the question marks in my original title are misleading

- Duvie, I understand what you are saying, and if that is so it sounds like a good thing.
- Technonut.... Are you saying the the 3.2GHz EEs, which Intel describes as a, "processor runs at 3.20 GHz with an advanced 800 MHz system bus and a whopping 2MB of L3 cache," are MO steppings and THEREFORE any MO stepping on a 800FSB CPU w/HT, regardless of a "Marked" CPU speed of 2.4 GHz would be what was INtENded to be a P4 with Hypertreading Technology, Extreme Edition?? Essentially what Duvie posted above you?

Question 2:
If so, what would you speculate about the binning down AND, both you guys, is there some software I can run to check on the the possible existence and function of a L3 cache.
Finally, and once again from intel, "Pentium 4 processor Extreme Edition and the Pentium 4 processors are available in the mPGA-478 form factor".
I am not familiar with the distinctions of the various P4 form factors. Do you all read this as the EEs are 'also' available in the mPGA-478ff in addition to whatever is form factor is used on non EE P4s; or are all P4s with 800FSB mPGA-478 form factor?

Again, I'd appreciate your input.
thanks again,

Mikewarrior2

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 1999
if you plan on O/Cing, most 2.4C m0 chips do very nicely... I have one at 3.5ghz at the moment on a n Ai7 MB.

Mike

Duvie

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2001
Originally posted by: user1
Duvie and Technonut:

thank you for the replies. I can now see that the question marks in my original title are misleading

- Duvie, I understand what you are saying, and if that is so it sounds like a good thing.
- Technonut.... Are you saying the the 3.2GHz EEs, which Intel describes as a, "processor runs at 3.20 GHz with an advanced 800 MHz system bus and a whopping 2MB of L3 cache," are MO steppings and THEREFORE any MO stepping on a 800FSB CPU w/HT, regardless of a "Marked" CPU speed of 2.4 GHz would be what was INtENded to be a P4 with Hypertreading Technology, Extreme Edition?? Essentially what Duvie posted above you?

Question 2:
If so, what would you speculate about the binning down AND, both you guys, is there some software I can run to check on the the possible existence and function of a L3 cache.
Finally, and once again from intel, "Pentium 4 processor Extreme Edition and the Pentium 4 processors are available in the mPGA-478 form factor".
I am not familiar with the distinctions of the various P4 form factors. Do you all read this as the EEs are 'also' available in the mPGA-478ff in addition to whatever is form factor is used on non EE P4s; or are all P4s with 800FSB mPGA-478 form factor?

Again, I'd appreciate your input.
thanks again,

I believe a bunch have already looked at that when it was speculation that this was in fact a P4ee chip...They used cpuid and cpu_iz program and none of them showed the presence of the l3 cache and there is no physical wasy aof enabling it through bios. cache is expensive and no way Intel is placing this type of cache in a chip it doesn't intend to have it being used. If it is truly in there then it has to be defective in some way or it would have been a p4ee chip...economics dictate it...

Technonut

Diamond Member
Mar 19, 2000
Technonut.... Are you saying the the 3.2GHz EEs, which Intel describes as a, "processor runs at 3.20 GHz with an advanced 800 MHz system bus and a whopping 2MB of L3 cache," are MO steppings and THEREFORE any MO stepping on a 800FSB CPU w/HT, regardless of a "Marked" CPU speed of 2.4 GHz would be what was INtENded to be a P4 with Hypertreading Technology, Extreme Edition?? Essentially what Duvie posted above you?
Yes, that is why Intel refers to the M0 stepping for the 2.4C and 2.8C as limited. I have seen a picture of a 2.4C M0 that a person removed the heatspreader from. The core was destroyed from removal of the heatspeader, (Intel is using a new, stronger thermal adhesive on the M0) and it looked larger than a non-M0 stepping core. As Duvie said, there is no way to enable the additional cache.

Personally, I have tested 4 of the M0 2.4C processors. 3 of them topped out @ around 3.3GHz, (Prime95 stable) and one that I am currently running @ 3.42GHz. I have seen more than a few reports of the same 3.3GHz ceiling on other forums. The additional cache may have been fine on these, but did not make the EE 3.2GHz speed binning.

EDIT: Here is a pic of the 2.4C M0 with the IHS removed.