P5K FSB value doesn't stick thru power cycles

GHotep

Nov 18, 2007
I have been overclocking (n00b), and one thing I've noticed with the P5K Vanilla I have is that overclocking doesn't stick through power cycles. What I mean is, I set FSB to something (anything over 333 - I have an E6850), it works just fine, and I shut down for the night. Next morning, I boot up, and FSB is 333. Every other setting is still showing up how I set it in CPU-Z or the Asus utility (voltages, memory timings, cpu multiplier). Just the FSB is set to 333.

If I shut down and cut power to the board for five seconds (or just cut power overnight), everything works right on first bootup. It's just if I shut off the computer and leave power applied to the board that it doesn't set.

As for settings, I don't currently have anything aggressive - most of the CPU extras (C1E, TM, VM) are disabled, I have the multiplier set to x8, FSB 400, Corsair 6400 C4DHX memory manually set to 4-4-4-12 2.1V, CPU voltage set at 1.35 (stable 3.2GHz mild OC). I've seen this for a few weeks, with a variety of other settings.

Is this typical of a P5K? Is it indicating that it didn't like something at power up? I would assume that if it was the latter, it would always fail, not just when the board is getting a warm power up. Since it's something I can work around easily, I'm not concerned - just wondering.

TIA

SerpentRoyal

Banned
May 20, 2007
Could be an unstable overclock. You need to use Memtest86 to check RAM stability. You may need to raise Vcore and NB.

Also try the latest BIOS update or reflash the BIOS if you have the latest. Some Gigabyte boards also exhibit BIOS amnesia.

Duvie

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2001
Seems about consistent with the crap I see come from Asus of late....MarkFW900 has that board as well and it was a problematic ocer as well...

My list of quirks with Asus boards is long....

Do you have the latest bios? Always try there first....also there are plenty of asus specific forums. May want to try there to see if others have similar issues as the one you speak....

Duvie

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2001
Try looking at whether you have the pci-express or pci clocks locked....

GHotep

Nov 18, 2007
Thanks for all the pointers so far - my OC *could* be unstable, but it's been Prime95 stable for hours (I don't remember exactly how many - over 2, but I haven't tried over night yet). I have BIOS 0603 (0704 was released about a week ago to support Penryn, or at least that's all that I saw in the change list). I've got PCIe locked at 100, but I don't remember a PCI clock anywhere.

It just seems odd, if the OC is unstable, that it works if I shut down and remove power, but not if I leave power going to the board. But, I'm still new to this game.

@Duvie - I'll go look for some Asus forums.

Thanks again, all.