P4 2.8 GHZ 533 FSB or amd?

SpdElemts

Sep 29, 2003
I have a P4 2.8 GHZ 533 FSB that i got and i dont know if i should waste money on a mobo and other stuff for this processor. Should i just buy a amd instead of buying the stuff for the P4?? By the way i want a stable comp for gaming

Thanks

OverVolt

Lifer
Aug 31, 2002
Send the P4 to me and get an AMD rig :D

But seriously, either way will give you about the same performance, try configuring some wish lists on newegg and see what the price comes out to for each, and which one you thinkg will perform better for the apllications you plan to use.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
By selling that chip, you could pay for both the AMD motherboard and processor.... And only the P4C series really pulled ahead of the Athlon XP.... so I'd go AMD.

SpdElemts

Sep 29, 2003
How much whould this chip go for??? It is slightly used. Has been running on a intel mobo. Never overClocked.

Originally posted by: orion7144
Why sell it when you can get a good MB for it for under $100?

I agree. If you look at my sig, I have the same exact processor. It can take anything you throw at it and have cycles to spare. Instead of going through the trouble of selling your processor (which would be a mistake IMO) and then hoping to get what you need to buy a AMD rig, Just pick up a 100.00 Mobo. They are everywhere. I would recommend the Intel 845PE chipset or if you plan to upgrade to 800 FSB later on, get the Intel Springdale 865PE which supports Dual Channel DDR. Do not sell your chip. If you do decide to sell it, let me know and I will buy it from you.

GM

EDIT:
Link to nice 800 FSB 865PE board. And you can find them cheaper from other manufacturers. (ASUS, MSI, Intel, etc.)

SpdElemts

Sep 29, 2003
Thanks.......I think the real question is p4 or athlon. But if i keep the p4 Would a DFI Lan Party board be a good buy?

thanks again