P4 2.4C -- Retail HSF or Custom?

Ardan

Mar 9, 2003
As the topic says, should I get the Retail HSF and skip a different Heatsink and Fan combo...or go with OEM and buy my own HSF? I am considering getting a P4 2.4C and I might try my hand at overclocking...but I will probably never go above 3ghz. I also plan to buy an Antec SLK3700AMB and use a 120mm case fan in the front of it as well as the standard rear one. It tends to get warm in the basement room it is in while it is summer, so proper heat dispersion is a must...but I don't want a smallblock V8 in the room.

Mind telling me a good motherboard for it too? I am getting 18 or 26" Rounded IDE cables but i'm not sure how much of a nuisance the horizontal IDE connectors on the IS7 can be. I am leaning towards the IS7 because of its price...I can't afford to spend TOO much and it performs fairly well.

abr27440

Jul 5, 2003
if your not pushing the limits with your overclocking then there is really no nead to spend the extra money on a high end heat sink, just go with the retail is shuld get you to 3.0 without truble.

bacillus

Lifer
Jan 6, 2001
the retail hsf is ok for mild o/clocking but seeing that you're unsure, suggest you get a third party hsf + oem cpu should you get serious about the level of o/clocking you'll require.
you can't have your cpu running too cool whatever! :D

Ardan

Mar 9, 2003
Alright, I'll probably go with the Retail heatsink. If it concerns me that much, i'll probably get a Thermalright heatsink and a ThermalTake SmartFan II or comparable.

Slammy1

Platinum Member
Apr 8, 2003
At 3GHz I wasn't so worried about special cooling (so long as you have a decent cooling solution for your case). Past that it's questionable if you need one, I got one because I want to go faster. 3 yr warranty is nice, just put the retail unit in a safe place.

orion7144

Diamond Member
Oct 8, 2002
I put a Zalman on mine and it only decreased the temps by 1-2 degrees.. Took it back and am sticking with the retail one.

Prodigy^

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
just so you know, the stock fan is absurdly loud. i simply couldn't stand being in room with it, so i went out and bought a Zalman 7000Cu. ahhhh, much better.

sman789

Banned
May 6, 2003
frantadr, how do you do that for the zalman7000?
i took off the fan controller and its running at 2550+ with the controller it'd run 2450