P&Ns middle name is and

Page 1547 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
JyPDBDs.png

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008

According to Worldometers, Japan currently has a total of over 17,000 COVID deaths. Not sure where the "less than 1000" comes from (do they mean 'per day'?). It hasn't done that well in terms of getting people vaccinated, as I understand it.

However, the US is currently doing particularly badly, compared to other wealthy countries, that appears to be true enough.

Although covid-19 vaccines are still scarce in poor countries, rich ones enjoy a plentiful supply. In the European Union, nearly three-quarters of adults have been fully vaccinated. In Britain the figure exceeds 80%. And as vaccination rates have climbed, deaths have fallen. In the EU, daily deaths in excess of those in normal years have tumbled by more than 90% since their peak in November. In Britain, they are down by 95% since January, to just less than one per 1m people.

There is, however, one big exception to this story. America is recording nearly 2,000 covid-19 deaths a day, according to a seven-day average compiled by Johns Hopkins University. That is only 40% below the country’s January peak. But the true death toll is even worse. The Economist’s excess-deaths model, which estimates the difference between the actual and the expected number of deaths recorded in a given period, suggests that America is suffering 2,800 pandemic deaths per day, with a plausible range of 900 to 3,300, compared with 1,000 (150 to 3,000) in all other high-income countries, as defined by the World Bank. Adjusting for population, the death rate is now about eight times higher in America than in the rest of the rich world.

Last edited:

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
According to Worldometers, Japan currently has a total of over 17,000 COVID deaths. Not sure where the "less than 1000" comes from (do they mean 'per day'?). It hasn't done that well in terms of getting people vaccinated, as I understand it.

However, the US is currently doing particularly badly, compared to other wealthy countries, that appears to be true enough.

Read much?

Old but still relevant

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Read much?

Well, it's not _that_ relevant, because, while the US is doing poorly, it's been notable that Japan has not done especially well - it's vaccine program in particular got off to a bad start.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Well, it's not _that_ relevant, because, while the US is doing poorly, it's been notable that Japan has not done especially well - it's vaccine program in particular got off to a bad start.

the fuck are you talking about? 17k deaths vs 670k deaths over the same time is not that relevant?

How about ask yourself when that number was first posted, the 1k number, and what the US deaths were at that time? I don't really know what it was, but do you assume that it wouldn't be relevant? Do you think that knowing those two things would show an overall rate that is worth noting?

I think you are ignoring the actual point and just trying to be difficult for no reason. For one thing, the reason for pointing that out wasn't about vaccines--it was explicitly about the effectiveness of masks. The fact that Japan's vaccine rollout has been poor is exactly the point of the comparison here--look how great masks are when comparing this vast difference in deaths against a population that has much greater access to vaccines, and is still doing shit.

lol, we're still dying way faster than Japan, I think.

Reactions: DAPUNISHER

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
the fuck are you talking about? 17k deaths vs 670k deaths over the same time is not that relevant?

How about ask yourself when that number was first posted, the 1k number, and what the US deaths were at that time? I don't really know what it was, but do you assume that it wouldn't be relevant? Do you think that knowing those two things would show an overall rate that is worth noting?

I think you are ignoring the actual point and just trying to be difficult for no reason. For one thing, the reason for pointing that out wasn't about vaccines--it was explicitly about the effectiveness of masks. The fact that Japan's vaccine rollout has been poor is exactly the point of the comparison here--look how great masks are when comparing this vast difference in deaths against a population that has much greater access to vaccines, and is still doing shit.

lol, we're still dying way faster than Japan, I think.

The truth is I still have some irritation with the Japanese government for their constant pushing for the wretched Olympics to go ahead, notwithstanding that the country was in the grip of a substantial covid surge and failing to get its vaccine program going. Didn't strike me as having the right priorities. No better than Johnson's regime allowing people to die for football.

The US is doing spectacularly-badly, it's true, as that link I posted emphasised. Because of its political culture.

But after the Olympics I just wouldn't personally single out Japan as the counter-example at this point and still not sure of the point of posting such an old tweet (nothing there emphasized the issue of masks). Australia and NZ are still doing better than Japan.

Dave_5k

Golden Member
May 23, 2017
thats not good.

the best reply I've seen is

"what, you dont have six months of savings?"
Thanks Mitch!

Those October 20 Social Security payments are just optional, right?
As are the November 1 interest payments on the US debt, things will be fine without paying interest on the debt. The US and global banking system probably won't collapse anyway.
No one 65+ needs healthcare anyway, no need for Medicare reimbursements. Or they can just pay for it all themselves.
And the government may be shut down before then anyway, so no government workers or military to pay, and other federal employees like all the air traffic controllers - they like coming in for free anyway.