P&Ns middle name is and

Page 1543 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
CTixRic.jpg

amazing

Satire? Is this really on the Breitbart website?

• Haha
Reactions: hal2kilo

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000

What's even more amazing is that there's millions of so-called conservatives out there that actually buy into that crap, excusing themselves from personal accountability so they can, with the tearful pride that victimhood brings them, recite the Repub party looneytoon MAGA pledge of allegiance at every gathering of two or more of them.

Reactions: hal2kilo
Mar 11, 2004
Satire? Is this really on the Breitbart website?

I think there's been other right wing articles (or maybe it was just right wing personalities on Twitter saying it, or maybe it was Cucker Tarlson spouting it on Fox News, not that there's much difference any more) saying the same thing. Seems to be their most recent "the liberals made us do it!" dumbass argument for why they aren't responsible for their own actions while screaming about personal responsibility of others.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
I think there's been other right wing articles (or maybe it was just right wing personalities on Twitter saying it, or maybe it was Cucker Tarlson spouting it on Fox News, not that there's much difference any more) saying the same thing. Seems to be their most recent "the liberals made us do it!" dumbass argument for why they aren't responsible for their own actions while screaming about personal responsibility of others.
Conservatives are such sensitive souls. They'd do the right thing if they weren't constantly being berated by liberals. It's a tough row to hoe.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003

If you dig around on google theres tons of research on the phenomena. I like to point this out every time a conservative whines about the liberal media bias.

Reactions: KMFJD and pmv

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
This guys ignorance fits his narrative closely.

I noticed BACK IN THE 80'S that people were proud of their ignorance.

Does this guy think he's a fuckin genius for learning something 40 years too late?

Never mind the '80s, it's been a trope of US culture for most of the country's history.

It was only recently I realised the name of the "Know Nothing Party" wasn't supposed to mean what I always thought it was supposed to mean.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Posted on my local Nextdoor by someone who (without a trace of irony) suggested that the person going door-to-door circulating the flyer in his affluent neighborhood might suffer from schizophrenia.

1fd2b8f5289199aad8f1d4f72c596eaf.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: zinfamous

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I'm having trouble reconciling these two statements from that link:

If they used materials derived from human embryonic stem cells then human embryonic stem cells were, in fact, used to develop REGN-COV2 despite what the manufacturer says.

ES cells are ES cells--they are pluripotent and can generally be teased into being any other cell. The cell line from 1973 was derived from kidney tissue (though also embryonic--so endodermic cells that are already past pluripotency)--these are kidney cells and no other cells. They will only ever be kidney cells. Thousands and thousands of common cell lines are maintained this way in common research, and some are many more decades older than that line from 1973.

So, no, there is no real contradiction in those two statements.

Anyway, it is still fetal tissue that was, originally, harvested from a human embryo, so that still stands. It's just that some people are conflating fetal tissue with ES cells, and these are two different things.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
ES cells are ES cells--they are pluripotent and can generally be teased into being any other cell. The cell line from 1973 was derived from kidney tissue (though also embryonic--so endodermic cells that are already past pluripotency)--these are kidney cells and no other cells. They will only ever be kidney cells. Thousands and thousands of common cell lines are maintained this way in common research, and some are many more decades older than that line from 1973.

So, no, there is no real contradiction in those two statements.

Anyway, it is still fetal tissue that was, originally, harvested from a human embryo, so that still stands. It's just that some people are conflating fetal tissue with ES cells, and these are two different things.
Science can be confusing to people who don't understand we're just a giant pile of minerals, meat, and water ambulating around for a few years until we fall apart.