P&Ns middle name is and

Page 1671 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

outriding

Diamond Member
Feb 20, 2002
Ht5skdC.jpeg

It is a twofer.

The rear window.

And the Dr Who license plate

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008

Well, the idea is to disincentivize being poor and incentivize being rich.

After all , we tax smoking because doing so encourages people to stop smoking, which we want to incentivize people to do because smoking is bad for you.

In a similar spirit, taxing the poor at a higher rate than the rich gives people an incentive to become rich and stop being poor, in order to pay lower taxes. I guess the poor need to be taxed even more and the rich even less, because, puzzingly, there are still poor people and the explanation must be that tax incentives to get rich obviously aren't strong enough yet.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Encouraging poll. Better late than never.

PJwvlMM.jpeg

Is it encouraging? Remember that 98% of all republicans think that undisputed republican traitors and terrorists are the only people that can save "democracy."

So, there are plenty of terrorists that agree with actual patriots that the threat to democracy is a serious issue. It's all about perspective

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Is it encouraging? Remember that 98% of all republicans think that undisputed republican traitors and terrorists are the only people that can save "democracy."

So, there are plenty of terrorists that agree with actual patriots that the threat to democracy is a serious issue. It's all about perspective

Compared to no one giving a shit? Absolutely. The J6 Hearings have clearly had an effect. Where'd you find that percentage? Trump picks haven't exactly been sweeping the primaries, but it's really about the "persuadables," not the cultists.

Last edited:

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000

I'm no GOP fan but this is unfair. PPP loans were designed to be forgivable-they were to continue payroll payment during early covid shutdowns. If the loan was legit it would be forgiven by the bank, which would be repaid instead by the fed government. It was a make do system to keep people being paid right now.

Maybe these legislators abused the program-I don't know one way or the other, but the mere fact that had PPP loans that were forgiven alone is no sign of corruption.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
I'm no GOP fan but this is unfair. PPP loans were designed to be forgivable-they were to continue payroll payment during early covid shutdowns. If the loan was legit it would be forgiven by the bank, which would be repaid instead by the fed government. It was a make do system to keep people being paid right now.

Maybe these legislators abused the program-I don't know one way or the other, but the mere fact that had PPP loans that were forgiven alone is no sign of corruption.

It's about the hypocrisy.

All animals are equal. But some are more equal than others.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000

True but it is a sign that they value businesses over people. How many people were laid off whose employer got ppp loans?

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
True but it is a sign that they value businesses over people. How many people were laid off whose employer got ppp loans?
The whole purpose of PPP loans was to prevent layoffs during the PPP period. If there were layoffs then there shouldn't have been forgiveness under the loan program.

The real loophole in the PPP program-and one that COULD have been exploited by these politicians-is that payroll paid to the bosses (i.e., paying themselves) counted as qualifying payroll. A lot of people exploited that loophole.

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005
The whole purpose of PPP loans was to prevent layoffs during the PPP period. If there were layoffs then there shouldn't have been forgiveness under the loan program.

The real loophole in the PPP program-and one that COULD have been exploited by these politicians-is that payroll paid to the bosses (i.e., paying themselves) counted as qualifying payroll. A lot of people exploited that loophole.

It's still a government handout to those businesses. Maybe those businesses should have just worked harder and they wouldn't need a handout from the taxpayer.

The point is to highlight how stupid their criticism of government assistance is.