Owee...didn't know phone lines had that much voltage running through them...

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
I was in the wiring closet with a butt set performing my newest duty of "phone haX0r" trying to chase down a dead phone line...must have managed to do the right combination of grounding myself against a the steel box the binding post is in, and hitting a digital phone line or something because all I know is that my hand started tingling and my fingertips are a bit numb.

D'oh!

Thank god it's just phone lines and nothing with any real juice running through it :eek:

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001
Originally posted by: vi_edit
I was in the wiring closet with a butt set performing my newest duty of "phone haX0r" trying to chase down a dead phone line...must have managed to do the right combination of grounding myself against a the steel box the binding post is in, and hitting a digital phone line or something because all I know is that my hand started tingling and my fingertips are a bit numb.

D'oh!

Thank god it's just phone lines and nothing with any real juice running through it :eek:

Never saw Electric Dreams, eh? :)

BooGiMaN

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2001
normal phone voltage (phone not ringing) is minimal, but the voltage generated by the ring signal can kill you...always always have a phone off the hook if your working on the line..otherwise you will become a darwin award winner if someone happens to call while ur holding the two wires (tip and ring)

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Originally posted by: TheEvil1
good one. thats why you turn things OFF first

You can't turn phone lines "Off". Hell, I shouldn't have even had to do it, but the wonderfully thourough electrician/phone guy set up over 20 lines without marking a single one. I was just taking alligator clips on the end of the butt set and touching them against the ends of the binding posts trying to get a signal and then dialing a number to ID that line.

Windogg

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I used to get zapped by the Norstar PBX system at my last company on occasion. I was told that there is 48v running through there. Thank god the amperage is low. Enough to give you a nasty shock butprobably not enough to cause serious damage. Great for pranking people.

Windogg

Kaervak

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2001
Been there, done that. I think I've been zapped by damn near every type of home electrical wiring.