Overwatch

Page 33 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
overwatch its very good game and fun but before competytive come in.... dark times of toxicity came and meta... meta killing this game T.T

I don't think the meta is nearly as much of a problem as people think it is. Well, to be clear, the meta is most common at high levels, but frankly, low-level players tend to have pretty bad coordination and would have a heck of a time trying to properly execute something like the Dive meta.

Now, I think the real issue is the toxicity and just the attitude of the players in general. Honestly, it feels a lot like what happened to World of WarCraft over the years. Way back in Vanilla WoW, the game just felt different. It wasn't that mechanics and concepts in that version of the game were a lot better, but some people have great memories about it because the game had a smaller community and helped foster a social aspect between players. I played Overwatch during the closed beta, and it had a very similar feeling. The community was a lot smaller (for obvious reasons), and people just seemed to get along better.

I think that people have just become so jaded from dealing with the negative atmosphere in Overwatch that they tend to be negative. For example, if a teammate insta-locks Widowmaker on Attack, the other teammates have likely been in similar scenarios where the person ended up underperforming. So, they've become so jaded toward the uncommon character picks that they just don't want to deal with it anymore. Unfortunately, some of them have a negative reaction that's arguably way out of line.

Although, I'm not going to give one tricks a free pass here. Overwatch was designed to be a strategic team-based shooter, and part of the strategy is team composition. In other words, if Soldier is a better choice to help deal with a Pharah than a Genji, the Genji should swap regardless of what they like to play. Of course, he may not need to swap, because someone else could take that role instead. Unfortunately, I rarely see the communication to handle complex swaps involving roles. I try to keep my teammates in mind, and I think people don't do that enough. People have this sort of "I paid for this game, and I'll do what I want" mentality, but your five teammates paid for it too! Back when I played Ana a lot (there was less contention for support roles), I was on a team with another player that played Ana a lot. I told him that we could swap after the first round, because I wanted him to be able to play who he tends to play too, and I did that.

Given everything I've heard recently, couldn't say I'd recommend this to any new players.

What have you heard?

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Ranked mode, you can then expand that to at least a dozen prime points.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
It's on sale $10 off for $30 now from Blizzard. I don't play shooters generally but have played this one a lot - it has some plusses.

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
I regret not getting the GoTY edition on BB yesterday. $30 with my GCU would have brought it out to $24. That's smoking compared to the $40 "sale" price Blizzard wants for that version.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I regret not getting the GoTY edition on BB yesterday. $30 with my GCU would have brought it out to $24. That's smoking compared to the $40 "sale" price Blizzard wants for that version.

Blizzard can refund it for you. Just tell them that you want to get the Origin's Edition from Best Buy instead. Heck, maybe they'll just give it to you instead.

The goty version doesn't seem that big a deal - some cosmetics.

If you play other Blizzard games, it does give you stuff for those too. It is all cosmetic, but it still would've been cheaper.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Actually, after some support issue with Starcraft II, Blizzard did just give me an expansion - I'd already bought it, but nice thought.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Competitive in this game is just so not fun. I had to do my placements by myself, because the game refused to let me play with people that already placed.. even though my previous season averages and my eventual season 7 placement was well within the 1000 SR requirement. Well, I'm pretty sure everyone knows the "fun" you have solo-queuing... especially later at night. I finished with 1 win, 8 losses and 1 draw, and ended up placing at 2395... when my previous seasons were (final/high) S4 = 2646/2858, S5 = 2674/2823, S6 = 2674/2711. I'm usually pretty critical of my own performance, and there was only a single game out of that where I felt like I didn't really contribute enough compared to everyone else.

All I ever do at this point is arcade, and that's not really even fun. Mystery Heroes is a crapshoot... and that's kind of the point. However, when you just want your boxes, it isn't fun to feel like you're failing due to randomness. This isn't Hearthstone where you enjoy losing due to random BS. Deathmatch could be fun if the maps weren't so bad. As someone who has played a lot of Quake III and Unreal Tournament in his formidable years, Deathmatch in Overwatch isn't even close to comparable... it's too slow. The worst map is probably Hollywood, because it keeps the same silly elevator from the standard map, which really needs to be replaced with a jump pad. Having such a slow method to reach the heights really slows down the game (pretty much the exact opposite of what you want in Deathmatch), and gives a large advantage to heroes that can reach the top easily. Some may argue that allowing other heroes to reach the top easier would ruin it for the heroes whose specialty is their verticality, but... that's Deathmatch? Of course, that doesn't even get into the fact that heroes are different, which largely leads to awkward Deathmatch scenarios... or you get Symmetra putting her turrets in a spawn location, so you die about a second after spawning.

I. Hate. This. Game.

At this point, after buying the collector's edition and way too many loot boxes, I only play it when friends are on that play the game, and that's very rarely. Most of my friends from beta already quit playing months ago. I don't always agree with Randy Pitchford on everything (like Aliens Colonial Marines :p), but this point stuck out to me...

/9 If playing the game is not fun and the desire is to skip it, well, that's a game that should be skipped and passed upon.
src

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
It's also on sale for $20, 50% off. Sort of worth it, but long queues. Also having technical issues where the battle.net client runs when I run the installer but doesn't seem to be installed a s a program so I need to run the installer each time I reboot; and some 'device renderer' error that crashes the game that google says is an AMD driver bug.

evident

Lifer
Apr 5, 2005
the damn loot boxes keep giving me stupid stickers... how about a nice skin every once in a while please!

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
They also give you coins - it's pretty easy to buy the skin you want for main chars.

Not really. With the change to give less duplicates, if you don't have a significant amount of content already, then you are far less likely to get coins. I find that I don't get a decent number of duplicates until I get around 80% or so for a character... and that's usually the blue-tier of content.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
picked this up on sale today for 30 bucks. are there a lot of hackers on the PC in this game?

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Game is on sale for 20 bucks. Man it's a ton of fun. Bought it back in APril but didn't fire it up until last night. So much to learn though

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
At that price I should buy it, but I'm too busy saving the world from a pyromaniac banshee queen. :(

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
There's a lot good, and some real flaws. One of the big flaws is long queue times for matches. But boy it has polished unique characters.

Yeah I often find myself in a skirmish mode waiting to get into a match. The other annoying thing is damn this is hard! Much harder than Battlefield as a shooter IMO.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Yeah I often find myself in a skirmish mode waiting to get into a match. The other annoying thing is damn this is hard!

You can turn off the skirmish while queued, I did. It gets easier as you play more, and also helps to try all the classes - they really seem to have classes that 'fit' different players better.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
You can turn off the skirmish while queued, I did. It gets easier as you play more, and also helps to try all the classes - they really seem to have classes that 'fit' different players better.

yeah there are certain characters that fit me better than otheres. i generally play reinhardt or bridgite