Overwatch

Page 32 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

s44

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2006
Until at least Diamond, having people play heroes they're good on is more important than almost anything (besides having tanking/healing covered). Now if the other team happens to be really good at the meta heroes, you're probably boned, but there are a lot of matches where the first round goes like shit, everyone just swaps to comfort picks they can carry on, and blam.

That doesn't mean you don't need certain heroes to play a certain style, though, or that you shouldn't swap situationally. But make sure no one is trying to fill on a hero he's never played before just because "someone has to do it". Every team can accommodate one non-meta pick.

Also, yeah, just pocketing some super-aggressive tanks as Ana can be incredibly successful.

calyco

Oct 7, 2004
I bought the anniversary GOTY on sale and have mixed feelings about the game. Pretty fun so far trying out the different heroes, pretty balanced teams, maps and overall gameplay.. hitboxes and graphics good. Maps could be a little bigger, I hope they add more and an option in future for more than 6 vs 6. For PC players in general, you definitely need more than 6 vs 6. Also they need some kind of votekick system and shuffle. It is a crazy fun game with a good team but then you have the dumbasses who dont know how to play or dont help which makes it incredibly frustrating. Its not one of those game where you can get good with one character and just be able to play by yourself on the side, everyone has to cooperate to a certain level. Only played it about 20 times but I already feel I got my $40 worth.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
What should a new player do to help the team not knowing the game or even liking FPS a lot?
Play the quick rounds and just find a character you are good with. Or try several characters until you learn to be decent with a few. It's really all about who you get good with so you can level up quicker.

calyco

Oct 7, 2004
Man, I stand by my comment. Incredibly aggravating when you have a stupid team and you get steamrolled, maybe I just have a bad temper lol. I think next time I will just leave the game. But then when you have even a semi decent team that know what they are doing and everyone plays in sync, it is veeery fun. Needs some kind of votekick system for stupidity :p

Reactions: XSoldier77X

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Why buy the game if you don't like FPS?

Because great games even in genres you don't like that much can be fun.

For example, I don't like racing games but loved Burnout: Paradise.

I don't like FPS that much but some can be fun sometimes. For example I like the Serious Sam series (on easy to normal).

This game sounds like it's pretty good, was on a good deal, the thing is as a team game looking how to play.

XSoldier77X

May 23, 2017
This is on sale at EU battle.net for about $23 - worth it?

Blizzard's celebrating OW anniversary so it's free for now, give it a try before you decide to invest $23 on it. that said, the game is only PVP and it plays rather differently from traditional FPS but if you like playing PVP and DoTA-type games, this game is a must-buy.

Reactions: Craig234

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
Really confused. Have a decent graphics card, but it only used 30-40% of the GPU while playing and at times the FPS dip into the 40's and never goes above 80. Vsync is off and the framerate is capped at 144hz. Not something I've seen in any other game.

calyco

Oct 7, 2004
What are some good servers to join? I am getting sick of this arcade matchup crap. Is there a vote kick or shuffle in this game?

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Played a few games as Mercy. It's 'ok'. Some things aren't clear, like I opened a loot box then it put me in a match - where does the loot go?

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Man, I stand by my comment. Incredibly aggravating when you have a stupid team and you get steamrolled, maybe I just have a bad temper lol. I think next time I will just leave the game. But then when you have even a semi decent team that know what they are doing and everyone plays in sync, it is veeery fun. Needs some kind of votekick system for stupidity :p

Essentially, as long as you don't queue with a 6-man premade, your teammates are the RNG aspect of the game, and I agree that it can be rather frustrating when people don't understand their role. I ran into a few examples of it this weekend. I've had some bad experiences as of late in Competitive, so I've been doing a lot of Mystery Heroes lately. During an attack on Dorado, I was on McCree and there was an enemy Bastion in Sentry mode on the ledge on the left at the first checkpoint. A D.Va was there with me, but instead of using defense matrix while I took out the Bastion, the D.Va sat there shooting at it. I died right before the Bastion died. On the other hand, I was doing attack on Eichenwald, and this time, I was playing D.Va. We were right at the end where I saw the Bastion (that was sitting on the cart) starting to lose a lot of health, and I could hear Reaper shooting at him. I immediately tossed my Defense Matrix over the Bastion and ate the shots while he got healed up.

That is how you're supposed to play the characters. A lot of people forget that it isn't just about your numbers, but also ensuring you assist the team.

Fortunately, that D.Va play of mine that I mentioned above also got me play of the game, so here it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBHH56c2PD8

Really confused. Have a decent graphics card, but it only used 30-40% of the GPU while playing and at times the FPS dip into the 40's and never goes above 80. Vsync is off and the framerate is capped at 144hz. Not something I've seen in any other game.

What's your CPU at? I've heard of others having this issue, but it's not common. Personally, I've never seen it on my own machine.

Also is there any way to add server to favorites from the browser?

I don't think so, but I've never used the server browser, and it's still a fairly new feature. Servers in Overwatch aren't permanent as they're really just lobbies setup by players. Now, what you can do is if you find a game mode that you enjoy, you can save the game settings (it's an option in the game lobby) and host your own.

Played a few games as Mercy. It's 'ok'. Some things aren't clear, like I opened a loot box then it put me in a match - where does the loot go?

Items that you receive in your loot boxes are viewed in one of two places: Hero Gallery and Career Profile. The prior is for just about everything except for player icons, which can be seen on the third tab of your Career Profile (called "Player Icon"). To note, if this happens to you, you can simply go into one of those places, and it will have a golden "NEW" beside the hero which has unseen loot. This also happens if you open a loot box, but don't click on the item to "inspect" it, but it will not happen if the item was a duplicate.

JeepinEd

Dec 12, 2005
Are their any groups? Random matches are pretty bad a lot.
You can "Friend" players that you like. When you are about to start playing, you can see if any of your friends are on line, and ask them to team up with you. The game will then keep you guys as a team.

GoStumpy

Golden Member
Sep 14, 2011
I just discovered this game today... I loved TF2, any good resources to help me along learning to play? PLanning to download tonight :)

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I just discovered this game today... I loved TF2, any good resources to help me along learning to play? PLanning to download tonight :)

Watching people play can sometimes teach you the Do's and Don't's of Overwatch, but keep in mind that they won't necessarily be readily apparent. There are various aspects to keep in mind about how to play with certain heroes or which heroes just don't mesh as well together. It's also good to keep in mind what sort of role a hero needs to play on the team. For example, a big mistake that most D.Va players have is focusing more on attacking rather than using Defense Matrix to help keep the team alive... and in some cases, they use Defense Matrix way too much and don't have it when they need it. :p

Although, with your TF2 play, you should be able to catch onto the team aspect, which can be difficult for some players... or at least that's what I've experienced. :p

EDIT:

Play AI to get to know the heroes.

My favorite is bastion. Mercy is also good.

Honestly, I find playing against the AI to be kind of worthless. There are only so many heroes with an AI in the game, which means there are some heroes you'll never encounter as enemies. Also, the AI just doesn't play anywhere near as well as a human opponent, so it's not really the best training. If I want to see how a hero feels to play, I just go to the Practice Range.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Given everything I've heard recently, couldn't say I'd recommend this to any new players.