Overwatch

Page 31 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

evident

Lifer
Apr 5, 2005
i won 8/10 placement matches. got put exactly where i ended last season. its just totally frustrating.

s44

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2006
They readjusted the formula to place most people a bit lower than they finished S2, so your winning prevented that. (A lot of people last time ended up placed too high and slid down from initial rank never to rise again.) You'll probably still see extra gains for your first wins after placement though.

Fingolfin269

Lifer
Feb 28, 2003
Heck, last night, I played Soldier, Lucio, Ana, Reinhardt and Roadhog, and there are some that won't even consider switching. o_O (There was also a minor bit of Tracer when I didn't think I'd get back to the payload in time as Reinhardt.)

I've actually gotten to the point where I just don't pick anything and tell everyone else to pick what you want and I'll fill in the gap with the greatest need. Seems like it helps me avoid getting frustrated that I never get to play what I want when I want but at least hopefully have a better chance to win. Helps at least promote the team first attitude that matters to some and should hopefully carry into the match when potentially asking others to swap out if things aren't working. Of course that doesn't always work when you have the "Don't worry, I'm a good Torb/Bastion" guy. :)

s44

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2006
Of course that doesn't always work when you have the "Don't worry, I'm a good Torb/Bastion" guy. :)
They're both quite strong in your bracket... don't worry until you hit Plat (and even there Torb isn't terrible on defense and Bastion can be surprisingly effective).

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I've actually gotten to the point where I just don't pick anything and tell everyone else to pick what you want and I'll fill in the gap with the greatest need. Seems like it helps me avoid getting frustrated that I never get to play what I want when I want but at least hopefully have a better chance to win. Helps at least promote the team first attitude that matters to some and should hopefully carry into the match when potentially asking others to swap out if things aren't working. Of course that doesn't always work when you have the "Don't worry, I'm a good Torb/Bastion" guy. :)

That's what I usually do too. Although, if I'm playing more than a couple games at once, I do get a bit tired of playing Lucio or Reinhardt all the time. (Because you sure as hell know that no one is insta-locking them at a lower level.) So, I will usually try and grab a DPS slot when I get tired of playing support or an actual tank (i.e. not Roadhog) all the time. Although, the win from the other day was when I got stuck playing Reinhardt, and it actually wasn't too bad. I still had people running ahead of my shield, so I had to constantly readjust, which was annoying. Although, I was able to feel a lot more effective with my ultimate use and some great firestrikes. I'm pretty sure I pissed off the enemy Genji when I killed him with a long distance firestrike as he was jumping in the air. :p

They're both quite strong in your bracket... don't worry until you hit Plat (and even there Torb isn't terrible on defense and Bastion can be surprisingly effective).

What's always crazy is when you watch a pro play these characters in tournaments and you see that they're actually viable. The problem is... they're usually only viable for a period of time, and they require the team to play around them. That problem doesn't magically disappear at low levels, either, but what isn't there is people being good enough to easily counter an immobile hero.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Blizzard has essentially confirmed the Christmas event for the 13th via a tweet. The GIF shows a snowy King's Row, so we'll probably be getting a Christmas version of that map.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
nice! mercy elf?

I don't know if we can handle another Mercy skin. :oops:

Although, the rumor is that the hero getting the most skins would be Torbjorn. I didn't do any comparisons to see who was left out, but it seems like most characters are getting skins and such this time around, but I have no idea what the quality will be. There are also rumors of another PVE brawl like Junkenstein's Revenge from the Halloween event.

SinOfLiberty

Apr 27, 2011
They are working on a new report system for flamers.

Great!, Now that you pick the hero no one else on your team approves but carry with it, you will get reported cause your brain dead teammates dont see the kill cam. Way to go.

Pathetic.

jimrawr

Mar 4, 2003
i won 8/10 placement matches. got put exactly where i ended last season. its just totally frustrating.

If you went 1-9 and were placed well below last seasons rank, would that make you happy/mad? I mean, I think its better to use the hundreds of games over the previous season as an indicator of SR than ten placement matches which isnt really a large sample size to accurately rank someone.

evident

Lifer
Apr 5, 2005
If you went 1-9 and were placed well below last seasons rank, would that make you happy/mad? I mean, I think its better to use the hundreds of games over the previous season as an indicator of SR than ten placement matches which isnt really a large sample size to accurately rank someone.

Why bother having the placement matches then? They should just do away with the placement matches if that's what they plan to do. As long as it's clear and upfront how the system works. This placement match system along w/ the rank fro previous season seems unnecessary.

Been slowly crawling my way back to platinum. Can't wait to get out of the low gold cesspool!!

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
Is this game still worth getting into for new players? Bored with BF1 and curious about this.

Headfoot

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2008
its a good shooter, great feeling. Only get it if you can enjoy MOBA style counters. You can always change your pick to make sure you aren't stuck with someone who is getting countered, but its not an even playing field. Some characters will simply not win against others given similar skill levels. If that sounds cool then its a great time

Fingolfin269

Lifer
Feb 28, 2003
Last night I realized I shouldn't get so mad when playing video games. Either I'm going to uninstall OW or just play Mercy all the time since for whatever reason I tend to not mind as much if we lose when I'm playing support. Not sure which would be the better choice. With D3 releasing this homage to D1 it could be a good time to go back to that one for awhile I suppose.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Last night I realized I shouldn't get so mad when playing video games. Either I'm going to uninstall OW or just play Mercy all the time since for whatever reason I tend to not mind as much if we lose when I'm playing support. Not sure which would be the better choice. With D3 releasing this homage to D1 it could be a good time to go back to that one for awhile I suppose.

I'd say go play Diablo III for a few weeks or so, and then go back to Overwatch. Sometimes, you just need a bit of a break from a game. I haven't been able to play much lately... in fact, I only completed my placement matches last week for the current season (it was halfway over by that point). Do I get frustrated at the game? Yeah. Although, when you get rusty like me, part of the issue is getting frustrated at yourself for realizing that you used to be a lot better.

Is this game still worth getting into for new players? Bored with BF1 and curious about this.

It's a fun game to play. It's also helpful if you have any friends that will play it with you. I will give you a bit of a warning that it can be a lot to get into at first, but you're probably not too unfamiliar with that as most modern shooters have a bit of a learning curve. I'm not sure if I'd say Overwatch is a bit worse in that regard since it has 22 fairly distinct heroes with varying difficulties and also has maps and such to learn.

Cappuccino

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2013
yes if you have friends to play with and no if you have none. Most games you play you are vs premades and 9/10 they are better than soloQ players and therefore you will die ALOT and WILL lose ALOT of games and that will cause you to lift up your keyboard and smashing it into your monitor. I played this game since launch and I can confirm its boring as heck now. :)

anyway in all serious for new players its really really fun but you will tend to hunt for freinds or people to play with because soloq is boring imo. you need coordination in this game u lose with no team work.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
It is fun but you have to play a lot to actually get to a level where you can do competitive games. I never got to that level because I stopped playing for some reason. You also need a good team and ability to communicate effectively for most rounds.

I originally got it because people from work play it and a few members from this forum also play. But once bf1 came out I played that a lot more.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Most games you play you are vs premades and 9/10 they are better than soloQ players and therefore you will die ALOT and WILL lose ALOT of games and that will cause you to lift up your keyboard and smashing it into your monitor. I played this game since launch and I can confirm its boring as heck now. :)

The game's matchmaking attempts to put groups of equal sizes against each other. The only way you should be going up against a premade group is if you have one on your team too. However, if there aren't enough people, it may do 5 + 1 vs. 4 + 1 + 1 or 5 + 1 vs. 3 + 3. Also, I disagree with the issue being how people queue that determines their worth. Some people just aren't very good at the game, and may end up bringing down your game... or your opponents are just obviously better than your team.

In my experience, it's usually just helpful if you have one positive person on your team. I was doing the mystery brawl a few days ago, and my team (comprised of all solo queue people) decided to hit the ol' Stay As Team button because it was an enjoyable time. Why? We had one of those super positive people on our team.

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
yes if you have friends to play with and no if you have none. Most games you play you are vs premades and 9/10 they are better than soloQ players and therefore you will die ALOT and WILL lose ALOT of games and that will cause you to lift up your keyboard and smashing it into your monitor. I played this game since launch and I can confirm its boring as heck now. :)

anyway in all serious for new players its really really fun but you will tend to hunt for freinds or people to play with because soloq is boring imo. you need coordination in this game u lose with no team work.

It is fun but you have to play a lot to actually get to a level where you can do competitive games. I never got to that level because I stopped playing for some reason. You also need a good team and ability to communicate effectively for most rounds.

I originally got it because people from work play it and a few members from this forum also play. But once bf1 came out I played that a lot more.

This is really good input. Sounds like something to get into if you are part of an active gaming clan or have a group of friends play, both of which I don't really see happening with myself. Will just stick with BF1 since I've invested a fair amount of time.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
This is really good input. Sounds like something to get into if you are part of an active gaming clan or have a group of friends play, both of which I don't really see happening with myself. Will just stick with BF1 since I've invested a fair amount of time.

You ought to take a look at what I said. Essentially, if you don't want to pay full price -- the $20 off promotion did just end -- consider waiting for another free play weekend. However, to be clear, I solo-queue all the time, and it's fine overall. You do not need friends to play the game. In fact, most people don't even like queuing with a full six-man group, because the game will try to match you with other six-man queues, and the other team's focus may be much more focused on winning rather than joking around and having fun. I've also queued with five others where maybe one person knew another person, so I maybe knew two of the people on the team. That didn't go well because we went up against groups that knew how to play together.

preslove

Lifer
Sep 10, 2003
What's a necessary network speed for this? I want to get it, but my gaming pc only gets about 7 mbps on wireless N, since I moved it to the office. Should I upgrade to AC wifi, or should I be fine?

s44

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2006
You should get MoCA or ethernet or some other hardwired connection... playing online over wifi is a crapshoot.

evident

Lifer
Apr 5, 2005
You should get MoCA or ethernet or some other hardwired connection... playing online over wifi is a crapshoot.
+1 for MoCA, i swear by it in my home setup. no need to bother with wifi bandwidth or dropouts, just configure the old verizon actiontec routers as bridges, and i'm good to go with a LAN cable, streaming full 1080P w/ no buffering.

back to overwatch:
I finally hit platinum after grinding in gold and feel that the 2500-2600 level is where i'm pretty comfortable playing at. there are still some trash players out there but it's much better than silver/ low gold. people seem to want to work together more, but there are still some salty players who throw the game.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I finally hit platinum after grinding in gold and feel that the 2500-2600 level is where i'm pretty comfortable playing at. there are still some trash players out there but it's much better than silver/ low gold. people seem to want to work together more, but there are still some salty players who throw the game.

I'm about 2650 at the moment, and I've had some.. interesting games. I played on King's Row the other day, and our Lucio seemed fine at the start, but then he started getting really pissy at some of the other players, and at times, his friend (that he was grouped with) would join in for the demeaning, which I believe was over hero choice (surprise)! It's not much of a surprise, but we got rolled pretty heavily during round one, which had us on defense. I think they had 3:30 left on the clock at the end, which is a pretty decent time. We went on attack, and we barely managed to get the first point in overtime. One of the players on the other team tried to take a stab at us with, "You should've just rolled over and lost." Yeah... we ended up finished with 1:30 left on the clock.

Since we had less time left, we started off on attack, and the team was just so aggressive. I mostly play Ana in competitive, and good golly, it can be hard to heal them when a Reinhardt rushes into the entire team. However, it worked, and we ended up pushing the payload the entire way in overtime. During their attack, they ended up capturing the first point, but weren't able to make it to the second point, and we won. :eek::cool:

Fortunately, the people getting crapped on were fairly relaxed about it. Sure, their choices were a bit.. unconventional and they didn't really work out well, but no one tilted further. There was some other game where we didn't even have a Reinhardt, but rather a Winston, and we still won. o_O

Worthington

Golden Member
Apr 29, 2005
haven;t played in a while but there were definitely times where i'd look at our comp before the match and think "good lord are we screwed". Sometimes we were, but those were some of our most dominating wins as well.