Overwatch

Page 12 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Its fun. TF2 before it went f2p is the obvious comparison.
And that's exactly what I thought when I played the beta. It's really fun like TF2 used to be before the drops. It's awesome

The biggest thing to me is that literally every "hero" feels unique and looks unique. You'll never confuse any of them for how they play and how they look. Blizzard did such a great job of making everyone unique.

BlueWeasel

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
I enjoyed TF2, but it wasn't one of my favorite games. I might play it for a short period, stop, and not play again for 6 months or more. Because of that, I'm hesitant to pick up Overwatch. I want to play it but not sure I'll play it enough to justify the purchase.

I have no close friends to game with either. You guys are my only friends. :'(

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
I enjoyed TF2, but it wasn't one of my favorite games. I might play it for a short period, stop, and not play again for 6 months or more. Because of that, I'm hesitant to pick up Overwatch. I want to play it but not sure I'll play it enough to justify the purchase.

I have no close friends to game with either. You guys are my only friends. :'(
Same here. I played tf2 and had fun for a little bit but didnt stick with it. Really shouldnt be buying anything now anyway, haha.

AznAnarchy99

Lifer
Dec 6, 2004
Bought it off Amazon for $50 with all the extras and same day shipping. Don't know how much time I'll have to play it between The Division and Halo 5 (which I just bought).

Midwayman

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
Still costs way too much. Launch price should have been free.

I hope it never becomes free. Especially without a meaningful rank up system. Might as well just invite hackers in as bans will be meaningless.

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000
Want to bet its the in game voip? A lot of games expose your IP when you use voip. Once they have that it wouldn't be super had to fuck with you. I'd disable in game voip if you're running into that often.

Could be. In beta we were using it sometimes. I didn't buy the game but am amused to read about the various "things" people are doing in the game to try to ruin it for others. Official forums are starting to pop up with accusations going on. Was hoping it wouldn't be bad right at release so I could contemplate buying it, but can't motivate myself to buy the game if it is basically how it was that week of open beta.

Speaking of which, again these aren't hard to find. Video someone recently posted of their cheating and a supposed way to get a hold of a free aimbot. I personally wouldn't even begin to trust a free one even if it did work as they have little support, tend to get detected easily, and usually have a virus/trojan with them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3h7UFw8OALA

But to each their own.

Last edited:

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Want to bet its the in game voip? A lot of games expose your IP when you use voip. Once they have that it wouldn't be super had to fuck with you. I'd disable in game voip if you're running into that often.

Blizzard does not expose your IP when you use in-game VoIP. There was a good YouTube video that looked at the networking in the game including tick rate, VoIP connections, etc.

Don't watch to play Support and Tank just yet because the team relies on them more for teamwork and I know I'll fuck it up right now.

I wouldn't fret too much over playing them. The hardest thing is that Blizzard uses rather generic names for their classes (e.g. "Tank"), but they don't all play in a standard fashion that goes along with that class. For example, D.Va has a ton of health, which means she can take more damage than most heroes, but apart from Defense Matrix (absorbs any incoming projectile/shot from in a frontal cone), she can't really "tank" damage. Her role tends to be more about backline disruption and area clearing with her ultimate.

While this may sound complicated, the same is true for most characters in the game. Essentially, characters just don't really play alike, and the hard part is learning what makes each character unique and how to properly use that.

Needs more maps, and honestly the biggest problem is there is literaly no sense of community in this. I feel like I'm playing a solo player AI bot game.

While the game lacks clans/guilds, closed beta did feel a lot more like a community given its far smaller player base. It was a lot like what vanilla WoW was compared to what it is today -- far less people, so you tended to get to know each other. I'd say at least half of my Battle.Net friends list is people that I met during closed beta.

I can say that one thing that has disappointed me so far is the complete and utter lack of players using voice chat. I was playing with a friend of mine last night, and I swapped to Team Chat to find that I was the only one in there. :\ I proceeded to swap back to Group Chat and just talk in there instead.

codyray10

Apr 14, 2008
Im having fun with the game, but dammit I'm ALWAYS stuck on a crap team. The ones that never go for the objective, or know how to pick a class based on the rest of the teams selection. My record is 7-19 atm. Quite impressive.

Last edited:

Cappuccino

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2013
8.5. It sure does feel like TF2 but better. The play style is very fluent and fast paced which I like.

I give the score system 10/10 finally we don't see any mlg 420 trickshot faze cod plebs going for kills, and finally we get a game that focuses on objectives. KDA dont matter now and KDA in a fps does matter in most games but Blizzard somehow made it rewarding without it! :)

Is it me or does the offensive characters areall very weak? They take forever to take someone down and I feel the tank characters does more dmg and faster putting enemies to low health. Oh and widow maker is super weak in terms of dmg shes a sniper ffs. I should not be putting 90000 bullets into someone and only put them to half health -_-

1 complain. I just wish more people play support roles. Im sick and tired being on a team with no healers. I cri evertyme! ;(

Nearly level 20 now :D

Cappuccino

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2013
Im having fun with the game, but dammit I'm ALWAYS stuck on a crap team. The ones that never go for the objective, or know how to pick a class based on the rest of the teams selection. My record is 7-19 atm. Quite impressive.
I feel your pain. No one pick supports and everyone picks the fuking turret robot guy lol.

Grooveriding

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2008
I was in the closed beta for the game since very near its beginning, so I have a sense for how I like the game. I still think TF2 is better overall because I had almost 1000 hours into that game before I got sick of it. Overwatch I am already somewhat burnt out on after all the beta play I did.

It's a great game, but it needs more maps and more game modes. You really need to play it with friends as well. 6v6 makes individual contribution really important, at least if you care about winning, otherwise you'll get frustrated with just random matchmaking. I don't think Blizzard has done enough to get that through to players and encourage them to team up outside of matches to enter them together.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Keep in mind that we need your full BattleTag, which is name#number. Mine's aikouka and 1679. (Split to avoid bots picking it up.) I play a good amount and group up, but I tend to be a bit more serious. You probably won't get me to goof off unless we have a full group to make it work.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
ok, then I am Blagdaross#1341 apparently.

do we have a list of everyone's tag?

Last edited:

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
ok, then I am Blagdaross#1341 apparently.

do we have a list of everyone's tag?

I think we used to have some huge mega thread that had Battle.Net, Steam, PSN and Xbox Live... or maybe it just didn't have Battle.Net? Maybe that was actually the WoW thread? In short, maybe. :p

Why don't you play support then?

I think most people find that support is boring to play. However, I find that those same people complaining about support being boring are the same ones that sit there on Mercy holding left click on the tank for 85% of the game. Essentially, these people have pretty awful battle awareness, and just lazily play through the game as a support. It's like the Zenyatta that never transfers his orb to a low-health player next to him, but is happy to sit and attack!

Phanuel

Platinum Member
Apr 25, 2008
If they find it boring to play, maybe they should stop bitching about nobody picking it if even they don't want to play it.

Pretty much all I play is support. Zenyatta is in such an awful place right now.

NoSoup4You

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2007
Zenyatta's awesome, easily my favorite support hero. But he's not much of a healer... so if that's your thing it's a no-go. Alone, you're dead... but with a group you can wreck the enemy team with Zenyatta. Orb of Discord absolutely shreds tanks and anyone else unlucky enough to have it. The 'set it and forget it' healing ability is just a bonus.

Watch out for Widowmakers and even turrents, they will ruin your day in a hurry. That might be the most frustrating thing... getting stuck behind a pillar because the enemy turret will kill you immediately if you poke your head back out. :)

Last edited:

Vivendi

Nov 21, 2013
So I've played for 2 days now. Quite a few times, I know I dodged something and the kill cam shows me just standing there. So I google it and... Overwatch has a tickrate of 20? It's like playing a 90's shooter again.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
I only did the practice range to get an idea of each character. I only liked a few of the characters. A lot of them have such short range weapons its ridiculous.

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
I only did the practice range to get an idea of each character. I only liked a few of the characters. A lot of them have such short range weapons its ridiculous.

each class has their use, not all of which are long range shooting :)