Overheat issue?

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
Q6600 with stock Intel fan (still attached) - I put together the PC from old parts for my kids to play Roblox. Temps on this machine had always been ~70C idle which I know is high but I had run it like that for years prior. Had been fine for a few weeks then last week I decided to reapply fresh Arctic Silver but the plastic pegs on the stock fan didn't play nice when resetting into the Mobo so it isn't flush. And today this started.

Symptoms:
- pc powered off unexpectedly, won't stay on for longer than a few seconds, can't even see bios load on screen.
- waited hours then powered on past WIN10 login, then auto-off again. Now just goes a few seconds into bios load then auto-off again.

Will a new CPU cooler be the fix? Would a Cooler Master R212 be a good choice? Or is this thing fried? Being able to get into win logon was a good sign it's still viable as long as I manage temps?

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
The CPU should shut itself down for protection (or throttle) to prevent damage.

But if there's not even pressure from the cooler (which sounds like the issue with it not being flush).

Why not install the cooler again, ensuring it's flush? Are the plastic push pins broken? Finally, if you mean the Cooler Master 212 EVO, then yes that's a good cooler.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
^ yes two plastic pins are now broken on one side so it can't clamp itself in the mobo hole all the way.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
^ yes two plastic pins are now broken on one side so it can't clamp itself in the mobo hole all the way.

Yeah, go ahead and get the new cooler. When even 1 pin is broken, it doesn't apply enough even pressure, and causes problems. With two of them broken, that would be why it powers down so quickly to prevent damage due to heat.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
That is correct, but i'd still just throw the Rosewill cooler on it:

https://www.amazon.com/Rosewill-RCX...pID=41TUv9xM7OL&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

Well I just ordered it but since it has the plastic pins again, how do I get them in without bending them this time? Should I be removing the mobo and watch from the back? Or is there no trick but just being careful to align? I bent the current one because there's no way to see the holes clearly from above.

ArisVer

Golden Member
Mar 6, 2011
I had the E6700 Core2Duo with high temps and throttling and it turned out that one of the pins was bend (my mistake). I bought 4 new pins from ebay for a euro or 2 and they worked fine. From what I read the correct procedure is to push 2 then the other 2 in the shape of cross (X).

Feb 25, 2011
Well I just ordered it but since it has the plastic pins again, how do I get them in without bending them this time? Should I be removing the mobo and watch from the back?

You shouldn't need to do that, but:

Or is there no trick but just being careful to align? I bent the current one because there's no way to see the holes clearly from above.

Bingo. Don't force anything; you shouldn't have to use much pressure.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
I tend to wiggle the thing around until I feel all the pins settle evenly into the holes. Then they are lined up and can be pushed in.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Another thing I have seen many people do over the years with the Intel cooler is they push the pins down, and then turn the little black tops with the arrows on them, thinking that this locks the cooler in place. However, once they push the pins down, it locks into place. By turning the block tops in the direction of the arrows, that's how they are released to remove the cooler.

Why Intel never made their cooler more "fool proof" is beyond me.