Overclocking while using 8GB ram

roid450

Sep 4, 2008
Do you guys think it makes it much harder to try to get a stable OC while using 8gb ram (4 sticks of 2 gb)

I have 4 sticks of GSKILL DDR2 1066. I was having massinve problems and instability when I first tried to run all 4 sticks. I ended up running memtest on them all on seperate slots and it's all good. I also returned the CPU to stock 2.4 ghz speeds but havent tried to OC again. Also i put the ram at DDR2800 speeds and had no problems or issues. Yesterday I thought about OCng and seeing if it would run stable since I read on another forum that with 8gb its harder to get a stable OC especially on a nVidia board with a 650i chipset (actual board is 750i FTW)

Thanks in advance for any in put. Also my Q6600 seems to require unusually high Vcore to even boot above 3.2 Ghz. I had to use 1.5 (1.48 ater vdroop) to get it to even post and get in windows with 3.4 ghz

Denithor

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2004
Some motherboards are very picky about what RAM you use when going four sticks. For example, my P5Q Pro works great with 2x2GB mushkin sticks (either of two kits) but when I try to use all 4 sticks it complains to no end (Vista 64 becomes highly unstable & sluggish). I need to play with it some more, I really want to run 8GB.

roid450

Sep 4, 2008
Like I said I was having massive problems, BSODs for memory, BSOD for driver issues, games F$%ng up etc.

That's when i decided to put the ram at 800mhz and its been fine since. If you haven't tried downclocking the ram some I'd try that and see if it works. Having 8gb is nice because I can run GTA4 with no limitations for memory or resources. It uses about 4.0-4.2 gb while gaming on GTA4.

Crysis sometimes gets my usage up near 4 gb and I HATED having the paging file enabled.

GundamF91

Golden Member
May 14, 2001
I've been running 8GB for more than 6mo now...overclocked to 3.4Ghz for my daily use and to keep the heat down. No problem whatsoever on the P5Q Deluxe, with Vista64bit. I rarely see useage above 4GB, but the few times I compressed files, it used up nearly all 8GB, so it's definitely useful from time to time.

yh125d

Diamond Member
Dec 23, 2006
That much ram puts alot of stress on the IMC, whether overclocked or not. Bumping NB voltage usually helps alot with instability when using 4 dimms

n7

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2004
Yes, it's harder.

On good mobos, it's not too much of an issue...of course, nFarce chipsets, well, there's nothing good i can say about them.

LOUISSSSS

Diamond Member
Dec 5, 2005
Originally posted by: n7
Yes, it's harder.

On good mobos, it's not too much of an issue...of course, nFarce chipsets, well, there's nothing good i can say about them.

it'd definitely be easier on anything but an nforce POS chipset. they just suck with a bunch of stability problems.

either try getting another mobo OR;

bump up your NB voltage, slower the ram timings and increase their voltage ... and you'll def need to lower your cpu oc...