Overclocking the E6300 on Asus P5N-E SLI

siupetpet

Jan 3, 2007
hello folks, first of all happy new year!!

just got myself an c2d E6300 1.86ghz cpu and an Asus P5N-E SLI motherboard because the cpu is a good overclocker going beyond 3ghz, and the P5N-E SLI review here at AT sounds quite good.

today with the arrival of the two along with a 550w thermaltake 550w psu, zalman cnps9500 and corsair xms2 ddr2 800 4-4-4-12 2x1gb ram, i put everything together, and overclocking result is far away from what other review sites claimed.

the max fsb the board could post at is 375, giving 375 * 7 = 2.625ghz. in the bios i changed the fsb (qdr) to 1500, and left mem (qdr) at 800, all memory timings @ auto. i also tried upping the vcore to 1.4v, but it didnt help at all. my motherboard bios version is the newer nov 22, 0202 version.

what am i doing wrong? or is it just my bad luck getting a cpu not as capable as ones others got? please point me to the right direction :)

thanks a lot everyone :)

siupetpet

Jan 3, 2007
if i set the timings to auto, the post screen shows 5-5-5-15. is this still too tight?

aka1nas

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2001
That's a bit better, but are you running at 1T or 2T with those timings? My understanding with that board is that the subtimings that you don't have access to are currently a bit tight and that is limiting people's OCs somewhat. Gary said that Asus would have a new BIOS revision out to help with that in a week or so.

DoodieBody

Dec 30, 2006
If I'm reading it right you left your memory divider at ddr2-800 (3:2). Change that to ddr2-533 (or 1:1 depending on how your mobo lists it) and you should be good to go. With the 800 divider you're running your memory over ddr1000, I'm actually impressed it went that high. That's some good memory you've got.

Also turn off all the CPU features. I'm not sure where to find them in your bios, but try and find them (things like visualization, C1E, stuff like that).

Avalon

Diamond Member
Jul 16, 2001
Originally posted by: DoodieBody
If I'm reading it right you left your memory divider at ddr2-800 (3:2). Change that to ddr2-533 (or 1:1 depending on how your mobo lists it) and you should be good to go. With the 800 divider you're running your memory over ddr1000, I'm actually impressed it went that high. That's some good memory you've got.

Also turn off all the CPU features. I'm not sure where to find them in your bios, but try and find them (things like visualization, C1E, stuff like that).

Sounds like the culprit to me.

tersome

Jul 8, 2006
Put your ram in the black slots. The yellow slots are completely shagged. Also, get a fan on the northbridge heatsink and put the northbridge volts at 1.55.

Srfrbum

Banned
May 19, 2005
OMG MAN !!!

I AM HAVING THE SAME EXACT PROBLEM !!!!!! I finally found some one with the same exact motherboard as me having the same problem. Its completely stable at 2.62 Ghz. But past 1500, it refuses to boot. Does anyone know the solution to this ? I also posted this in the motherboard section of anandtech in the 650i Zip Zoom Fly thread, very last page. Help is appreciated, THANKS.

Core2

Dec 28, 2006
Originally posted by: Srfrbum
Found another person with the same problem !

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=126791&page=5

Post # 122. I think he got it working though, because the post is dated on christmas and in his sig it states that he has the cpu at 3.04 Ghz. So if anyone can get in touch with ReTiCuLeX, and ask him how hw fixed this issue, we would gladly appreciate it.

He put a fan on the NB

siupetpet

Jan 3, 2007
Originally posted by: aka1nas
That's a bit better, but are you running at 1T or 2T with those timings? My understanding with that board is that the subtimings that you don't have access to are currently a bit tight and that is limiting people's OCs somewhat. Gary said that Asus would have a new BIOS revision out to help with that in a week or so.

i am using 2T timing, and still no go. and i think the "new bios" Gary mentioned is already released?? because the bios used in the review was 0101, and the version on my board is factory installed 0202, nov 22 version. i am still playing with it, and i'll keep u guys posted :)

siupetpet

Jan 3, 2007
Originally posted by: DoodieBody

thanks on the tip, mate.

in the bios i can either have auto ratio, linked or unlinked. before i created this topic i already set it to unlinked, with fsb @ 1500mhz and ram @ 800mhz. i tried enabling and disabling those cpu features you mentioned, but no help either :(

siupetpet

Jan 3, 2007
Originally posted by: Srfrbum
OMG MAN !!!

I AM HAVING THE SAME EXACT PROBLEM !!!!!! I finally found some one with the same exact motherboard as me having the same problem. Its completely stable at 2.62 Ghz. But past 1500, it refuses to boot. Does anyone know the solution to this ? I also posted this in the motherboard section of anandtech in the 650i Zip Zoom Fly thread, very last page. Help is appreciated, THANKS.

holy cow, man!!!! yes, exact same problem, 2.62ghz!!!!! anything over 2.62ghz doesnt post.

how hot are ur nb and sb chips? on mine they are both quite hot to the touch even at stock speed. yeah, asus fanless design..... i will purchase a small chipset cooler for the sb, and just add a fan to the nb heatsink, and see how it goes.

no matter what happens, i will keep you guys posted. as this mobo is a relatively new model from asus, i think a lot of people are either looking for more reviews, or oc solutions. thanks alot, and stay tuned folks :)

siupetpet

Jan 3, 2007
tersome, what's exactly wrong with the yellow ram slots? btw i did try using the black slots with another pair of corsair xms2 ddr2 675 cas 4 1gb, and still the same result...

and yes, i did set the ram speed at 675, so i dont think the fsb/ram divider is the cause.

Core2

Dec 28, 2006
Originally posted by: siupetpet
tersome, what's exactly wrong with the yellow ram slots? btw i did try using the black slots with another pair of corsair xms2 ddr2 675 cas 4 1gb, and still the same result...

and yes, i did set the ram speed at 675, so i dont think the fsb/ram divider is the cause.

did you take the first ones out of the yellow slots
Try the black slots only with your higher rated ram
up your NB voltage to 1.39
make sure you have enough vcore 1.30 to 1.325 to start set the FSB to unlinked 1600 mem 800 Mem voltage to 2.08
and make sure you have some good cooling on the NB and SB
relax your timings to 5-5-5-12 2T

DoodieBody

Dec 30, 2006
Oops, dur, I'm a dumbie...I didn't notice that was a 650i based board.

Out of curiosity, did you try just upping the FSB to 400 or 405? The board might have a hole in the FSB where it won't post.

adder1971

Jan 8, 2007
I had kind of the same problem. Dropped my multi to 7, raised fsb to 500, increased NB voltage to 1.5 (with cooling fan right on it) increased vcore to 1.5(reads as 1.4 under load)
Memory tweaking is rough. Waiting til the new bios to OC that :)

JinxyJinx

Jan 13, 2007
I have had similar issues to the ones described on this thread. I registered and posted to share my experience and add my results. Switching my 2 sticks of memory to the black slots worked like a charm!!

I WAS running my system with these Bios settings

1600 FSB
730 Memory
Multiplier = 9

Any memory setting above 730 would boot into windows but lock up within a min. I tried dropping the mult down to 8 and running it at 3.2 with the memory in sync and I got the same results.

I then stumbled upon this thread and read the part about the yellow slots acting weird. I switched my memory to the black slots and everything works like a charm now. I am able to run at 3.6 GHZ with the memory running in sync with my cpu.

This seems really weird that it worked but it did, and I'm happy!!

knifemyglitter

Jul 18, 2005
i have my e6400 at 3.2 ghz on stock air, and it runs stable as can be. ran Rainbow Six Vegas and a DVD encoding program for a while, both cores maxed to 100%, this board and chip are awesome. Theres a large Vcore drop, so you have to add a lot. Just add more.

mantras

Jan 19, 2007
Sorry not trying to hijack but saw a similar setup and was looking for a quick suggestion.

knifemyglitter, what are your voltage settings? I have a similar settup with the e6400 and asus p5n-e sli. Also arctic freezer 7 and antec p180 so decent air cooling. I just raised my stable 3ghz to 3.2ghz and I failed after 30 minutes on the orthos stress test.

Currently I have voltages set at 1.33125, 2.085, 1.563. I just upped the memory voltage since the failed test and testing again. I'll see results after work.
I'm a little concerned about the north bridge voltage but I cant get Windows to fully load below the 1.563 setting. Thanks for any help.