Overclocking software?

mysticjbyrd

Golden Member
Oct 6, 2015
How do these programs work?

Is there any reason to consider using these programs?

Funny story! I have this old laptop with one ghz dual core cpu that goes to 100% usage just browsing. So, I installed amd overdrive on it yesterday, and the first time I click on it the computer blue screens. Then it wouldn't start, so I had to go into safe mode and use a restore point.

Last edited:

dlerious

Golden Member
Mar 4, 2004
The only software I've used has been from the motherboard manufacturer - ASUS 5-way optimization

Dufus

Sep 20, 2010
There'll be a few settings that can only be done via BIOS but other than that SW overclocking is fine as long as the software itself isn't buggy and can be useful for testing stability, no need to restart every time a setting is changed.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
the term software is ... dubious. they are BIOS (or UEFI) features. or i dont know, i have never seen PC-overclocking software run on a desktop.
anyway, i would stay away from any "optimizer", even if made by the motherboard's own brand for their own mobo model .. they tend to use too much voltage and give inefficient overclocks.
better to google "how to overclock motherboardmodelname" and do it yourself.

bystander36

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2013
the term software is ... dubious. they are BIOS (or UEFI) features. or i dont know, i have never seen PC-overclocking software run on a desktop.
anyway, i would stay away from any "optimizer", even if made by the motherboard's own brand for their own mobo model .. they tend to use too much voltage and give inefficient overclocks.
better to google "how to overclock motherboardmodelname" and do it yourself.

MSI has this Command Center software which lets you change the voltage and clocks as you choose. The biggest problem is that it won't save your settings between boots. But just because it's software doesn't mean it uses too much voltage.

ClockHound

Golden Member
Nov 27, 2007
The title got me excited. Thought someone had finally found a way to reduce software bloat and reduce the need for hardware overclocking. Oh, well.

Overclocking an older dual-core 1Ghz lappy, even with full BIOS support, will not net much performance increase because the thermal limits are very strict.

Better to lobby the browser makers for better optimization and web developers to kick their addiction to bloated frameworks and eye candy dependencies. And publishers to lose their over-the-top-in-your-face system killing ads. If your system was fast enough to make it to their contact us page without exhausting your will to surf.

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
If your BIOS doesn't support OC'ing I wouldn't try using software.

Even if it does I OC in the BIOS, the software is usually weak and asking for trouble.

Ranulf

Platinum Member
Jul 18, 2001
I wonder if I could find an old version of mozilla or something, and if that would help?

Best bet would be trying a low resource using version of linux. Burn a disc of Lubuntu or LXLE and try it in live mode or something.

mysticjbyrd

Golden Member
Oct 6, 2015
Best bet would be trying a low resource using version of linux. Burn a disc of Lubuntu or LXLE and try it in live mode or something.

I have never used linux. I thought about going XP, but I am uncertain if I can get all the drivers.

Last edited:

mysticjbyrd

Golden Member
Oct 6, 2015
What are you looking to help? Are you having sluggish browser usage? Downloading an ad blocking extension may be all you need for that.

Pretty sure I have ad block installed in Mozilla.

The CPU is showing 100% usage on both cores, and it's sluggish as hell.

I thought it might have been the Ram at first, since I only have 2GB, but it's usually sitting at only about 50-66% usage.

At this point in time, DON'T go with XP. It would be pointless. Use Linux.

Yah, I will give it a shot. Thx