Overclocking my C2-600's on BH6 and BX6r2

Wellen Dowd

Dec 30, 1999
Hopefully you can help me here: I have 2 C2-600's running on these 2 motherboards and I can't get the softmenu on either board to keep the settings for the chips. I will set them at bootup to 100 fsb and 8x or 8.5x, but when I reboot the machine the settings return to the default settings of 66 fsb and 9x. I am using Abit slotket III's on each of them and have changed the jumpers to auto for fsb, auto for voltage, and coppermine for cpu and then configured the softmenu for 100 fsb and 8 or 8.5x, but the damn settings don't keep after a reboot. I have also tried setting the jumpers on the slotkets to 100 fsb, but that yields the same result - no saved settings after reboot.

If there is anything that one of you extremely intelligent people can help me with, then I would be much obliged.

PS I can change the fsb to 83 at 9x to hit 750, but if I reboot then it defaults back to 600mhz with 66 fsb and 9x. I am running the latest bios on each of the motherboards and I know the ram is good since I have using all the sticks of 128 pc100 in overclocked 450a's for almost 2 years.

Chuffmaster2k

Jul 16, 2000
Is it possible that the jumper to clear CMOS is set wrong? Possibly a bad cmos battery? Just a couple suggestions. Good luck.

hoochieman

Sep 12, 2000
Is it not possible to set things manually rather than having them set on auto? And do you have the same problem with both the boards?

Wellen Dowd

Dec 30, 1999
Chuff, it's possible, but unlikely. I will try that, though.

HOochie, I have tried setting them both manually as well as setting them to auto, but I encounter the same results.

rigor

Banned
Mar 21, 2000
you ARE using "user define"? and saving when exiting? god i hope so.

make sure you have the newest bios. i had this board , and overclocked and never EVER saw this happen.

Wellen Dowd

Dec 30, 1999
LOL...yes, I am using "user defined" and saving when I exit and running the latest bios on both motherboards - I just can't understand why it's not doing what it should....thanks for the tips, though, and if you possibly think of anything else, I would be extremely grateful if you share them with me.

Thanks again

lepper boy

Golden Member
Nov 2, 1999
um, forgive me if I'm wrong, but you are changing the clock multiplier? like 9 to 8.5 or vice versa which ever it is... well isn't the cpu clock locked?

all you can do with a bh6 is diable the speed holt thingy and bump up the fsb. and save the settings......

merlocka

Platinum Member
Nov 24, 1999
Mr Big might have said what I was thinking, but there is some toggle that will pop you back into bios if the cpu is set incorrectly (i.e. overclocked). I usually turn that sucker off.

Additionally, setting them to 100MHz FSB will get you 900MHz (9x multiplier for C600's)

Wellen Dowd

Dec 30, 1999
I did turn the speed hold off and WOW - it started saving settings on the bh6. I am going to do the same thing on the bx6r2 tonight. I really appreciate everybody's input on this issue. I really thought I had tried everything. I am so relieved that this issue is now in the past. If you guys are ever in the Washington, DC. area, then I should buy you a cup of coffee or lunch or something.

Thanks a lot

Wellen Dowd

Dec 30, 1999
lepper boy, the c2-600 has a maximum multiplier of either 11 or 12 - it must have at least 9x because by default it is to run at 66 fsb at 9x (594 mhz). I now have this kitten purring at 100 fst and 9x - not bad for a $100 dollar investment, huh?

Thanks again for your thoughts and suggestions