Overclocking is stealing

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Think about this, you overclockers - when you overclock, you're stealing. Say you bought an AMD 955 X4 CPU, and you wanted more power. Well, if you overclocked your chip, and then ignored the launch of the 965 CPU, you're stealing. You cost AMD a sale. IF you hadn't overclocked, you would have bought the new CPU to get to a higher speed.

You "unlockers" are just as bad. Paying for a dual/triple-core, and getting a quad-core. Costing AMD untold millions of quad-core sales.

It's no different than downloading and burning a DVD, or borrowing a buddy's DVD and copying it, rather than buying your own.

Each one of these examples is costing companies untold millions in lost sales.

Let this be a warning to you all, once the industry starts taking note of rampant "CPU speed piracy", you're all in trouble.

Then again, so am I.

drizek

Golden Member
Jul 7, 2005
AMD is really struggling due to lost 965 Black Edition sales.

Surely overclockers would rather buy cheap multiplier locked processors than reasonably priced, unlocked and speed binned CPUs.

danidentity

Jun 21, 2004
LOL this is ridiculous logic. The vast majority of overclockers would not buy faster chips if they couldn't overclock. Just like people who soup up cheap cars wouldn't buy fast luxury cars if it was illegal to modify your car. The whole point is trying to squeeze more out of what you've got.

Xcobra

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2004
my logic: you buy it, you can do whatever the hell you want with it.

Eureka

Diamond Member
Sep 6, 2005
You have a point. And remember, trying to use an OCed chip as if it was stock is like pretending that a mp3 rip is as good as a CD. In reality if you want full quality you have to pay the full price, or else you're getting lossy, muffled, staticy benchmarks.

Yukmouth

Aug 1, 2008
Well maybe if someone told AMD to stop releasing overclocking for dummie's software you might actually have an argument!

Even their ATI video cards come with OC software :roll:.

AMD uses its scaleability to sell chips in the first place so it's on AMD for not being able to sell a top teir chip. When every single chip you sell is capeable of doing what its big brother can, clearly common sense plays a bigger roll.

That's like getting mad at people for using cupons YOU provided them.

Yukmouth

Aug 1, 2008
Originally posted by: Eureka
You have a point. And remember, trying to use an OCed chip as if it was stock is like pretending that a mp3 rip is as good as a CD. In reality if you want full quality you have to pay the full price, or else you're getting lossy, muffled, staticy benchmarks.

LOLOLOLOLOLOL

Thats the dumbest sh*t I've ever heard, I love it!

Cogman

Lifer
Sep 19, 2000
lol, yeah, I know, it is terrible. Just like those evil people that BYPASS DVD copy protection for the HEINOUS crime of copying their dvd to their HD and watching it later. Its like buying stock, sitting on it for a while, and then selling it for more then you bought it. It is simply un-American!

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Originally posted by: frostedflakes
His post was obviously tongue-in-cheek, don't get too upset. :)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Frostedflakes got it right, there is nothing wrong with getting more for less, and the CPU and MOBO makers go into this with their eyes wide open, as they have yet another excuse not to honor their warranty.

Stealing has always been the American way ever since we told those rascally Brits we don't want to pay your damn tea tax. And now the smart PC buyer will not even buy an offering that can't be overclocked. And at the same time outfits like Dell make a fine living selling cpu's and mobo's that can't be overclocked.

Right now everyone is happy, why all the doom, gloom, and guilt?

Qbah

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 2005
I'm underclocking... I guess... I'm giving... money away? Or something :D

Billb2

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2005
So, if you buy a volkswagon, are you stealing from cadilac?
If you buy as Mustang, and soup it up, are you stealing from Ferrari!
If you buy a microwave are you stealing from the oven manufacturers?
If you buy grass seed and plant it in your yard, are you stealing from god?
If you buy hookers and blow, are you stealing from ... Uh, that doesn't work.

daw123

Platinum Member
Aug 30, 2008
Originally posted by: Billb2
So, if you buy a volkswagon, are you stealing from cadilac?
If you buy as Mustang, and soup it up, are you stealing from Ferrari!
If you buy a microwave are you stealing from the oven manufacturers?
If you buy grass seed and plant it in your yard, are you stealing from god?
If you buy hookers and blow, are you stealing from ... Uh, that doesn't work.

LOL

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
I too am a firm believer in the "you buy it, you do whatever the hell you want with it, just don't hold me liable for anything that comes from you doing so" mentality.

Peroxyde

Nov 2, 2007
Originally posted by: VirtualLarry
Think about this, you overclockers - when you overclock, you're stealing. Say you bought an AMD 955 X4 CPU, and you wanted more power. Well, if you overclocked your chip, and then ignored the launch of the 965 CPU, you're stealing. You cost AMD a sale. IF you hadn't overclocked, you would have bought the new CPU to get to a higher speed.

Larry, with your 11700+ posts in the forum, I assume that you were joking, right?

- If I use a Virtual Machine: do I hurt a computer industry because I did not buy a physical machine? I don't think so, I am green and I want to work that way.

- If I buy a regular sport equipment and I happen to beat all the other competitors who bought very expensive equipment. Did the sport manufacturer lose a sale of the expensive stuffs because I should have bought it? I have no moral concerns about that.

- If I cook my own meal, may be that is a lost revenue for the restaurants. Well too bad for them.

And the list goes on.