Info Overclocking is so easy now. Change 2 settings for a Ryzen 5600G, and get a nice performance boost.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Relevant hardware info in screenshot. CPU cooling is Noctua U12s Redux. OS is win 11 pro.

Links to Night Raid and Time Spy scores provided. Didn't employ any of the methods for improving benchmark scores, just ran the tests.

The 2 settings change were via UEFI on MSI B450 Tomahawk. Set the iGPU speed to 2300MHz, and set the CPU to game boost. That's it. Note my ram is hot garbage, but considering I paid $52 for it back in 2020 can't complain much. I think the iGPU and ram have more to give, but it defeats the purpose of the experiment. Which was that you could use 2 simple settings pretty much guaranteed to work flawlessly with the 5600G, and get a nice performance boost. 4.7GHz all core by choosing game boost ain't too shabby.

Night Raid test

Time Spy test

5600g info.jpg

Last edited:

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Cool. I don't recall if there was a game setting option on my board's UEFI. I wonder if I should look into that for my 5900X?

Reactions: DAPUNISHER

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
What does 'gaming mode' do?
Thanks, I fixed it/corrected the feature name. MSI calls it game boost. It is an auto overclocking mode. I don't know if it is A.I. training or what, but it works great in my experience. It is more conservative with vcore than PBO. And gives you a static all core overclock. I have not validated it with P95 or the like, but it has been 100 percent so far for gaming and all the usual daily driver stuff.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Cool. I don't recall if there was a game setting option on my board's UEFI. I wonder if I should look into that for my 5900X?
It is in the overclocking tab on this board, and has its own entry without delving down a level or more to find it. If your board has it, you should give it a go. Should be fun to see if it provides a good jump like mine did. I was not expecting to see this kind of all core and voltage; pleasantly surprised. I read some older posts with complaints about it disabling pwm, but it is working perfectly on my setup.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Hmm, I could give it a try. Currently I am just running a memory OC and using the curve optimizer to undervolt the cores a bit. I wonder if it is compatible with these current settings. I suppose I may as well test.

Reactions: DAPUNISHER

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Hmm, I could give it a try. Currently I am just running a memory OC and using the curve optimizer to undervolt the cores a bit. I wonder if it is compatible with these current settings. I suppose I may as well test.
You saved the profile right? Can always load it if the experiments don't pan out. Speaking for myself; I have free time. :p

In2Photos

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2007
Interesting. We used PBO on my son's recent build with a 5600X in a B550 Tomahawk. I wonder if using Game Boost instead would increase performance? With PBO enabled all cores would top out around 4.6GHz. Although I think if we disable PBO then we can't undervolt the CPU anymore. His system is stable at 4.6 all core with a -20 offset. Might have to play around and see.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Interesting. We used PBO on my son's recent build with a 5600X in a B550 Tomahawk. I wonder if using Game Boost instead would increase performance? With PBO enabled all cores would top out around 4.6GHz. Although I think if we disable PBO then we can't undervolt the CPU anymore. His system is stable at 4.6 all core with a -20 offset. Might have to play around and see.
PBO does not boost all cores to max at the same time. But most tasks including games don't need that anyways. That said, some have been using PBO + curve optimizer and very happy with the results after benchmark testing comparisons.

In my case - The frequency and SoC power usage has been the best I have experienced with this APU, to date. Just finished playing about an hour of Fallout 4 and CPU peaked at 70c (I have smart fan set to ramp to 65% at that temp) and 60c for Vega 7. I call this build my GOG box.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kaluan

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
knocking on wood you don't win the lottery like i did on the 2 chips i got.. :p
I have people for that. :smilingimp:

This method is producing higher clocks with less voltage than either the out of the box settings or overclocking via the Radeon software. Temps are good, and my attitude about is -

rocky-iv-dolph-lundgren.gif

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
So, are you using a separate, standalone GPU in your machine, or are these values obtained while the APU was also busy with video output?
APU only, and yes, the Vega is doing the render test in the GPU-Z section of the screenshot. Stays under 1.4v even gaming. BTW, the 5600g is selling for $219 right now at B&H.

• Wow
Reactions: AnitaPeterson